Snooker’s Mark Williams defends his break tactics

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
th
I’m pretty sure I saw Alex Higgins and Steve Davis use this break back in the 80’s.

Jimmy White has finessed it here :) -

Sent from my iPhone using Tap
I’m pretty sure I saw Alex Higgins and Steve Davis use this break back in the 80’s.

Jimmy White has finessed it here :) -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was the break Joe Davis used in his exhibitions...but he aimed a little wider with more spin...whitey would go one rail off the pack to somewhere behind the black spot.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there any rules in snooker about a ball striking a rail on a break? If not, this is no different than the other break they use since both are "safe" breaks. A rule on the break of a ball having to strike a rail after contact would make this safe break go away if they want.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are there any rules in snooker about a ball striking a rail on a break?
The only requirement is that the cue ball must hit a red ball before any other object ball. It is legal to roll the cue ball softly onto the side of the rack without any ball touching any cushion.

(There is a "shootout" competition in which some ball must contact a cushion on every shot, whether before or after ball-ball contact. That also has a 10-second shot clock and a time limit of 10 minutes per rack/frame and each match is a race to one. The shootout is a ranking event.)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only requirement is that the cue ball must hit a red ball before any other object ball. It is legal to roll the cue ball softly onto the side of the rack without any ball touching any cushion.

(There is a "shootout" competition in which some ball must contact a cushion on every shot, whether before or after ball-ball contact. That also has a 10-second shot clock and a time limit of 10 minutes per rack/frame and each match is a race to one. The shootout is a ranking event.)

So then what's the big deal if all rules were met? It's not even like it's a different shot since the standard snooker break is a safe break. Silly Englishmen, I shall taunt them a second time.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So then what's the big deal if all rules were met? It's not even like it's a different shot since the standard snooker break is a safe break. Silly Englishmen, I shall taunt them a second time.
I think it is the same big deal as when Corey figured out the break at nine ball. It was cheating, improper and unmanly, or seemed that way to some people.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is the same big deal as when Corey figured out the break at nine ball. It was cheating, improper and unmanly, or seemed that way to some people.

Yes the softbreak was blah, but it did meet the legal break requirement at the time. Also the 9 ball standard break is not a safe one like 14.1. How about the 1 pocket breaks? There are many of those, including the same one behind the stack. Probably more similar than the 9 ball break.

This is just a different safe break as the standard one they use, both are safe breaks.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I think the initial fear is that it would slow the game down, possibly leading to more reracks. But what we’ve seen so far is that it does not slow things down at all. In fact, in the Higgins/Williams match where even Higgins used that break, there were 5 centuries and in total 17 breaks over 50. The only thing we lose is the one visit clearances off the opponents break.

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
I once played the perfect break in a youth league match. I inadvertently hit the extreme edge of the pack causing the corner red to travel straight up to the top cushion and back into its original position. The red on the opposite corner of the pack went straight across to the side cushion and more of less back into its original position. No other reds were disturbed, and the pack looked almost untouched. The white went round the angles and ended up behind the green ball.

The only person in the room who never saw this wonder happen was my opponent, who was rubbing his cue down with his back turned to the table at the time, even though I got a clap for my efforts. He looked confused when he was told by the referee that it was his turn, but he picked up the white ball anyway and placed it to break off himself.

When he was called a foul for picking up the white - four points to me - he was even more confused. I asked for the white ball to be replaced and requested he play from there. He missed the pack completely - four points to me - and left me snookered behind the blue. I asked him to play from there, and he hit the black - seven points to me. I was fifteen points in front, and we hadn’t even broken off yet! Although he was a notable boys billiards player (Geoff Charville – English U19 champion 1980) he never regained his composure and I won at a canter.

I've never managed to replicate the shot, not for the want of trying, and have never seen anyone else come close either.

Boro Nut

Last edited:

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
I stand corrected - I just came across this:
Doug Mountjoy did it too.
This is the shot I fluked, but I got my white somewhere behind the green, so it was arguably better. If it was 1977 though, Doug did it first.

Boro Nut

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
There’s some talk about making a rule that the white has to hit a rail after contact...only on the break.
..I am not against that.

The break should be an advantage. If somebody does their homework and starts coming off the 4th rail to get close to the yellow or the green, they’ll have a great advantage. Combine that with breaking off the second last red to spread the pack somewhat....everybody else will have to learn it.
The trouble with breaking off the last red is that you leave a big pack to lay on.

The pros play on great tables with steel block cushions...this aggressive break can be learned...no trickier than the standard one pocket break...maybe easier.