Snooker cues

Charles Hartfield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am considering purchasing a snooker cue. I have never played snooker but would like to own one as a novelty and hit a few balls with on my home pool table. I have a few questions that maybe you guys can help me with. Who are the top makers? The only maker I have heard of is Parris. What is the standard length, weight and tip diameter of a snooker cue? The only thing I know for sure right now is that I want a standard one piece ash cue. Thanks in advance for your replies.

drsnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if it's just for giggles, (and you sound like you might be in the USA), the billiard factory chain typically have a couple of pretty cheap snooker cues for sale. Or try ebay for a used one!
Beyond that, it's all personal preference! Height, weight, diameter, balance, taper, joint, material, in-lays, you name it! So nobody can answer that question for you.... That said, they are typically on the lighter side compared to pool cues. Think 16Oz, 9.5mm tip, a 3/4 joint and come to about your shoulder when standing up straight, so if you're seven foot tall, you'll use a longer cue than if you're 5'5"
Again, if you got a billiard factory or other billiard supply store near you, go check it out, pick a cue, should a few balls and see what strikes your fancy.

Greg M

Top makers include John Parris, Mike Wooldridge, Jason Owen and Trevor White. I've also heard nothing but good things about Thai cues like Maximus and Phoenix.

Standard specs would be 17-19oz, 9.5mm tip and 57/58". Mine is a little on the heavy side at 19.5oz.

drsnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like you're in Vidor, TX, which is about 90 minutes from me. Contact me after I get back from the PABSA championship in Toronto next week and willing to drive to south Houston and I'll give you a game on my table!

Charles Hartfield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if it's just for giggles, (and you sound like you might be in the USA), the billiard factory chain typically have a couple of pretty cheap snooker cues for sale. Or try ebay for a used one!
Beyond that, it's all personal preference! Height, weight, diameter, balance, taper, joint, material, in-lays, you name it! So nobody can answer that question for you.... That said, they are typically on the lighter side compared to pool cues. Think 16Oz, 9.5mm tip, a 3/4 joint and come to about your shoulder when standing up straight, so if you're seven foot tall, you'll use a longer cue than if you're 5'5"
Again, if you got a billiard factory or other billiard supply store near you, go check it out, pick a cue, should a few balls and see what strikes your fancy.
I will check out the website. If I do get one, I don’t want it to be cheap. Thanks for the information.

Charles Hartfield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top makers include John Parris, Mike Wooldridge, Jason Owen and Trevor White. I've also heard nothing but good things about Thai cues like Maximus and Phoenix.

Standard specs would be 17-19oz, 9.5mm tip and 57/58". Mine is a little on the heavy side at 19.5oz.
Thank you sir for the information.

Charles Hartfield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like you're in Vidor, TX, which is about 90 minutes from me. Contact me after I get back from the PABSA championship in Toronto next week and willing to drive to south Houston and I'll give you a game on my table!
If I’m ever going to be in the area, I’ll let you know and take you up on that game.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am considering purchasing a snooker cue. I have never played snooker but would like to own one as a novelty and hit a few balls with on my home pool table. I have a few questions that maybe you guys can help me with. Who are the top makers? The only maker I have heard of is Parris. What is the standard length, weight and tip diameter of a snooker cue? The only thing I know for sure right now is that I want a standard one piece ash cue. Thanks in advance for your replies.
I heard of Parris, so I bought a Parris for the same reason: to own one as an novelty. Mine is a 3/4 cue, and it has a threaded insert for a mini-butt (rear extension, as we might call it). I have a mini butt that fits, but its' not a great fit. I bought a long, 3/4 snooker case from China to store the cue.

Charles Hartfield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
H
I heard of Parris, so I bought a Parris for the same reason: to own one as an novelty. Mine is a 3/4 cue, and it has a threaded insert for a mini-butt (rear extension, as we might call it). I have a mini butt that fits, but its' not a great fit. I bought a long, 3/4 snooker case from China to store the cue
What’s it like hitting balls with it? I would think it would be much different than a pool cue.

Greg M

I heard of Parris, so I bought a Parris for the same reason: to own one as an novelty. Mine is a 3/4 cue, and it has a threaded insert for a mini-butt (rear extension, as we might call it). I have a mini butt that fits, but its' not a great fit. I bought a long, 3/4 snooker case from China to store the cue.
Did you go for any splice designs or is it plain ebony?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did you go for any splice designs or is it plain ebony?
Some butterflies…

I bought this second hand from Deno Andrews.

Attachments

• 0980C039-4C70-464D-B6E8-C38BF5778AD6.jpeg
    0980C039-4C70-464D-B6E8-C38BF5778AD6.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Greg M

Some butterflies…

I bought this second hand from Deno Andrews.
Nice. I'm partial to one-pieces over 3/4s, but it does certainly look nice. Any idea what wood was used in the face splice? It looks like the same ovangkol used on Parris Traditionals, just with added plum/maple veneers.