So, this cue had been on ebay for awhile

PhilosopherKing & Chopdoc, Howdy;

Ran across this one last Fall,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Joss-cue-s...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Had an exchange with Dan Janes about it, emails, passed the link to him and
he didn't recognize it. Reason I looked was it's only 20 miles South from me and
I asked the Sellor if I could look it over 'in hand' before bidding ... still waiting :rolleyes:
for a reply.

hank

Saw it.

Don't know.

Looks right...but wrong bumper.

Could be a Joss...could be others.

Even Viking used that ring work.

.
 
I would say not a Joss, Stroud, Petersen, Viking, Sailor. Mostly wrong joint pin. Wrong design for most.

Most familiar to Helmstetter cues, and all the variants thereof. Doesn't mean it couldn't be some other import.

All the best,
WW
 
I would say not a Joss, Stroud, Petersen, Viking, Sailor. Mostly wrong joint pin. Wrong design for most.

Most familiar to Helmstetter cues, and all the variants thereof. Doesn't mean it couldn't be some other import.

All the best,
WW

Strange pin.

It looks like someone turned some threads off a 3/8x10 pin to make it a quick release. But I was looking on my phone. I'll try to take a look on my big monitor later.

EDIT: OK I was seeing things. I am on the big monitor and obviously I saw wrong on my phone.

Looks like a 3/8x10, long-ish.

.
 
Last edited:
Strange pin.

It looks like someone turned some threads off a 3/8x10 pin to make it a quick release. But I was looking on my phone. I'll try to take a look on my big monitor later.

EDIT: OK I was seeing things. I am on the big monitor and obviously I saw wrong on my phone.

Looks like a 3/8x10, long-ish.

I see 5/16 X 18 pin there, not 3/8 X 10. Typical pointed Helmstetter pins, and the shafts have brass inserts.

Not positive of the maker, but I lean towards Helmstetter.

All the best,
WW
 
I see 5/16 X 18 pin there, not 3/8 X 10. Typical pointed Helmstetter pins, and the shafts have brass inserts.

Not positive of the maker, but I lean towards Helmstetter.

All the best,
WW


I am looking at the second cue posted in the thread.
 
I am looking at the second cue posted in the thread.

Oh, ok. That one's more obvious. It's most likely a Joss West, I suppose possibly a Joss, with a replacement bumper. That one I lean toward Joss West. Consistent butt plate material, and Bill did those solid points quite a bit. I suspect the logo is worn off.

All the best,
WW
 
Oh, ok. That one's more obvious. It's most likely a Joss West, I suppose possibly a Joss, with a replacement bumper. That one I lean toward Joss West. Consistent butt plate material, and Bill did those solid points quite a bit. I suspect the logo is worn off.

All the best,
WW

If I remember correctly Stroud produced some plain four point cues to address the player market. I think they may have been unmarked. I believe he has posted about here in the past.

But I believe those were stainless collar 14 pin cues.


.
 
I thought the cue had a Mali look to it except for the joint pin. He said he bought it in california way back when so I thought maybe a Tex Zimmerman based on the joint pin
 
Howdy All;

This is one of the emails that Dan Janes sent me when I inquired about the cue
I posted the link for;

Dan Janes <dan@josscues.com>
To hank hoyt 10/19/17 at 12:57 PM
Hank,
I cant see a Joss logo on the cue.
All of my cues will have a Joss logo on the butt plate or joint.
I don't recognize the butt plate.
I cant tell you from these photos what this cue is.
All cues I made for Jimmy Moore were 57" long.
How long is this cue?
The pin looks bigger than the pins I use.
Any cue I made for Jimmy Moore had a 5/16x14 pin.
Dan
Joss Cues

As I said, tried to contact the seller and no response, 1st auction, meh.
Personally won't bother with it, just handing out a 'heads-up' .

hank
 
I would say not a Joss, Stroud, Petersen, Viking, Sailor. Mostly wrong joint pin. Wrong design for most.

Most familiar to Helmstetter cues, and all the variants thereof. Doesn't mean it couldn't be some other import.

All the best,
WW
Here's a Sailor (not my picture):

Sometime when the cue was on ebay, a member here made a post in a thread about Dick Helmstetter teaching Craig Petersen how to make cues, and it got me wondering.
 

Attachments

  • sailor_butt_hi.jpg
    sailor_butt_hi.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 355
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
Here's a Sailor (not my picture):

Sometime when the cue was on ebay, a member here made a post in a thread about Dick Helmstetter teaching Craig Petersen how to make cues, and it got me wondering.

Yep, believe Joe Van Buren had that Sailor at one time, probably the fanciest and nicest Sailor I've seen.

Although it has some similarities in the buttsleeve with the first cue posted in this thread, there are still too many differences from a Sailor cue for me to think it's a Sailor.

Agree, it is interesting.

All the best,
WW
 
The ebay cue is definitely not a Sailor, but I think the Sailor cue may have been influenced by stuff coming out of Chicago... This, along with the big pearl dots and what looks to be some precise work, is what gave rise to my admittedly far-fetched idea that Petersen could have made it under the supervision of Helmstetter... lol... I know... I know. :)
 
The auction says it was made by Tex in San Diego, CA. Only Tex I was aware of was Tex Zimmerman who co-owned Whitehead and Zimmerman billiard supply in San Francisco, but geographically that would be wrong since opposite side of the state. Some old posts on AZB mention there was a cuemaker from San Diego also named Tex in the 1960's-1970's named Tex Wooley.
 
Back
Top