So What Does One Do When They Don't Have a Decent Local Mechanic...?

tomatoshooter

Alright, I think I've sorted my downward angles out. I wasn't able to find any 'resource' per say(?), so I went hunting within the spec's listed in Dr. Dave's TDF thread. Found the closest comparable to my own table's pocket shelf and reached out to the owner/member.

So based on their helpful-ness, I can say that my pocket specs will match the following:
  • Corner:
    • Pocket size: 4.5"
    • Miter: 141*
    • Down angle: 12*
    • Shelf: 1.125"
  • Side:
    • Pocket size: 5"
    • Miter: 103*
    • Down angle: 11*
All I have to sort out now is a means to extend my mitersaw's fence. It does provide provisions to bolt a sacrificial fence and/or extensions to the main fence. I just need to source the appropriately sized bolts and adequate fence material.
I played around and made a little drawing. I went with 104 degree side pockets per the WPA recommendation. I the width is the main factor for side pockets, if you can't get the ball to contact on the face, it's not dropping. This seems to be a factor of not shooting at too shallow of an angle. I was curious what you are planning measuring from, I referenced the second diamond on the rail and the end of the backside of the groove for the feather strip.

Attachments

• pocket measure-Model.pdf
    116.9 KB · Views: 112

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played around and made a little drawing. I went with 104 degree side pockets per the WPA recommendation. I the width is the main factor for side pockets, if you can't get the ball to contact on the face, it's not dropping. This seems to be a factor of not shooting at too shallow of an angle. I was curious what you are planning measuring from, I referenced the second diamond on the rail and the end of the backside of the groove for the feather strip.
Mine were cut at 102° and they play fine. I would think balls would rattle at 104°.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
For determining a datum for the dimensioning of the side pockets I worked off the 'bottom' cushion and generated a center line across the table. Note that the table is not only completely square, but symetrical as well, so my 50" center line is repeatable from either short rail.

From that centerline, I marked out the half distance required for the pocket opening. The miter angle is measure off the cushion.

I reviewed the model you put together and I'm curious about the dimensioning of the corner pocket. The values of the pocket cut line (4-15/16) and the finished opening (4-1/2). Are those auto-generated by your drawing sw based on the 51* angle you used...? They boil down to a cross sectional width of 0.2188" for the facings. I ask because it varies from the calculation I did using the triangle calc tool, (.257"). Roughly 0.040" of difference per side, so 0.080" total.

Last edited:

Tablemaker

Registered
For determining a datum for the dimensioning of the side pockets I worked off the 'bottom' cushion and generated a center line across the table. Note that the table is not only completely square, but symetrical as well, so my 50" center line is repeatable from either short rail.

From that centerline, I marked out the half distance required for the pocket opening. The miter angle is measure off the cushion.

I reviewed the model you put together and I'm curious about the dimensioning of the corner pocket. The values of the pocket cut line (4-15/16) and the finished opening (4-1/2). Are those auto-generated by your drawing sw based on the 51* angle you used...? They boil down to a cross sectional width of 0.2188" for the facings. I ask because it varies from the calculation I did using the triangle calc tool, (.257"). Roughly 0.040" of difference per side, so 0.080" total or ~3/62"
3/62nds of an inch?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
3/62nds of an inch?
typo obviously.... I've removed the offending error

I don't bother with factional inches usually, and only added them for sake of reference for those unaccustomed to the decimal version. Rather than risk further confusion I won't bother with them moving forward.

Thanks for the reply

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
13 degrees, I stand corrected. According to my digital tool.
Right on, thanks for adding that...

I don't have a tool small enough to get between the rail/slate to measure the angle correctly. When I set up for my cuts/sanding I plan on setting my angles on the saw and test cutting a chunk of wood that I can measure with what I have. Tweak till correct and perform all work at that setting before I move to the other set ups.

coolidge

Right on, thanks for adding that...

I don't have a tool small enough to get between the rail/slate to measure the angle correctly. When I set up for my cuts/sanding I plan on setting my angles on the saw and test cutting a chunk of wood that I can measure with what I have. Tweak till correct and perform all work at that setting before I move to the other set ups.
Is this a GC? I have my rails removed from my GC IV I could measure the angles.

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
It’s a celebrity from canada billiard.
On one of your pics it looks like you are missing the stretchers between the legs..

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I have my rails removed from my GC IV I could measure the angles.
If you'd like to post your pocket data, please do. There's a complete lack of reference material regarding functional, miter angle / shelf depth / downward angle. Comments on how your pockets play would also be of use to lurkers.

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
If you need the nameplate let me know

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If you'd like to post your pocket data, please do. There's a complete lack of reference material regarding functional, miter angle / shelf depth / downward angle. Comments on how your pockets play would also be of use to lurkers.
Come on, if I gave you all the answers, what would there be left for you to figure out😅

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Buying tools to get the answers, half the fun! Makita, Starrett and Mitutoyo recently landed. More inbound.
If I thought up sizing my Makita 10" saw to the 12" would provide me all the answers, then I would have...lol