So why was the Derby 9ball race changed from 7 to 9 again?

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
And why weren't the bank pool and one pocket also extended?

hotrod622

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And why weren't the bank pool and one pocket also extended?

2015 Derby City 9-Ball Now a Race to 9
The Billiard Congress of America and Diamond Billiard Products are pleased to announce this year's Derby City Classic 9-Ball Tournament will be a BCA points ranking event. In support of BCA requirements for points-ranking events the match race will be increased from 7 to 9 games.

This was quoted straight from the DCC 9 ball page.

Last edited:

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
2015 Derby City 9-Ball Now a Race to 9
The Billiard Congress of America and Diamond Billiard Products are pleased to announce this year's Derby City Classic 9-Ball Tournament will be a BCA points ranking event. In support of BCA requirements for points-ranking events the match race will be increased from 7 to 9 games.

This was quoted straight from the DCC 9 ball page.

Who reads that? LOL

So they killed the 9ball's "anyone can beat anyone in a race to 7" spirit of the tournament that it had at its inception.
Good to know.
Thanks

dedstroke38

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who reads that? LOL

So they killed the 9ball's "anyone can beat anyone in a race to 7" spirit of the tournament that it had at its inception.
Good to know.
Thanks

Killed? 2 games more doesn't change the game that much. sheeesh

CBuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Killed? 2 games more doesn't change the game that much. sheeesh

the point of this tourney & getting the big turnout is getting the shortstops & even lower a chance to go far. The short races is what built the attendance in this tourney, so changing the races from 7 to 9 is actually quite a bit as far as upsets go.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the point of this tourney & getting the big turnout is getting the shortstops & even lower a chance to go far. The short races is what built the attendance in this tourney, so changing the races from 7 to 9 is actually quite a bit as far as upsets go.

The Gambling built this event. Nothing else.
If you never went to the derby at Executive West, you've never seen a good derby.

CBuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Gambling built this event. Nothing else.
If you never went to the derby at Executive West, you've never seen a good derby.

went to the executive west twice,i have actually never been to where it is now. I always stayed in the action room, would never buy the bracelet to get in the main room.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
went to the executive west twice,i have actually never been to where it is now. I always stayed in the action room, would never buy the bracelet to get in the main room.

Then I assume you agree with JumpinJoe.

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like races to 9 better than 7,,,, I like races to 11 better than 9. The cream should rise to the top.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member

I know one person and I am sure many there and players that did the same. He would actually stay in that room and if needed would sleep in his vehicle. He took a cooler and ate out of that along with some other stuff that he would restock with at a local store. He knew a few others that would be there and make arrangements to shower in their room if they had one.

🎱

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
There are a lot of things that built this event. And we are talking about over a decade ago.
Gambling being one of them. (Alex vs the ghost, Stalev. vs Wetch, T.W. vs Durbin are just a few examples)
Cheap entries and buy backs another.
Multiple disciplines yet another.

But it seems that as far as the TOURNAMENT is concerned, part of the appeal to many a shortstop, was the shorter race in the 9ball.

That isn't to say that the cream shouldn't rise to the top.
But why just in one discipline then?

Why not extend the banks and one pocket as those are clearly the preferred games of plenty of people who don't care about the 9ball.
Just because of some points?

Sure, that would be a scheduling fiasco, and the Derby is already an endurance contest as is.
They can't butcher the schedule any more than they already have.

It's just a thought guys.
As someone who kinda hates 9ball, it was nice to see an event pop up that addressed other disciplines so that everyone could enjoy.
And then 9ball seems to be the game everyone sells out their tried and true format, so they can get the coveted "points" and then it just gets annoying from there. :D

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a lot of things that built this event. And we are talking about over a decade ago.
Gambling being one of them. (Alex vs the ghost, Stalev. vs Wetch, T.W. vs Durbin are just a few examples)
Cheap entries and buy backs another.
Multiple disciplines yet another.

But it seems that as far as the TOURNAMENT is concerned, part of the appeal to many a shortstop, was the shorter race in the 9ball.

That isn't to say that the cream shouldn't rise to the top.
But why just in one discipline then?

Why not extend the banks and one pocket as those are clearly the preferred games of plenty of people who don't care about the 9ball.
Just because of some points?

Sure, that would be a scheduling fiasco, and the Derby is already an endurance contest as is.
They can't butcher the schedule any more than they already have.

It's just a thought guys.
As someone who kinda hates 9ball, it was nice to see an event pop up that addressed other disciplines so that everyone could enjoy.
And then 9ball seems to be the game everyone sells out their tried and true format, so they can get the coveted "points" and then it just gets annoying from there. :D
Longer one pocket races would be great if they could fit it in. But the cream already rose to the top with races to 3 anyway. Alex is virtually unbeatable.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And from what I've read. This year had a record number of entries in the 9 ball

That is correct more than 400 is a record I think. Atlarge can fact check that.
Probably they are looking at cheap entry fee $110 (Buy in $50) vs deep payouts (They paid 75 players last year) . 75th get paid $250
On paper sounds like a good deal.
:wink:

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Longer one pocket races would be great if they could fit it in. But the cream already rose to the top with races to 3 anyway. Alex is virtually unbeatable.

Well, race to 4 would be the way to go.
It GUARANTEES both players 2 breaks at the table each, minimum.

As it stands right now, guy who wins the flip, or the lag, has an advantage, in one pocket terms.
It could go 3-0 with one player breaking one time with the current format.

Think about it.
Guy breaks great, and holds his serve, you mis-hit the break, and sell out an easy counter break and are on defense from there and end up losing.
Guy nails the break and sticks it to you.

If it was race to 4, the player would get the opportunity to adjust, and break again.

CBuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know one person and I am sure many there and players that did the same. He would actually stay in that room and if needed would sleep in his vehicle. He took a cooler and ate out of that along with some other stuff that he would restock with at a local store. He knew a few others that would be there and make arrangements to shower in their room if they had one.

🎱

I was buying a room & spending plenty of money there, I just don't care to watch the tourney & would rather watch the action. I only went in the main room one day to watch my friend who entered the 1P get run over by Larry Nevel. The executive west action room was great, the only bad thing was that one & only restaurant around the corner didn't have the best food.