Some questions about practice

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
I am an APA SL 5-6 and I play in league three days a week, and I practice at least two more days a week and sometimes, im playing all seven. So here's the deal. When I practice, I'm basically just playing by myself. Usually nine ball or ten ball. I would play straight pool if I had a 9' table at my disposal. Are there specific things I should be practicing? Drills or something of the like? I'm going to practice tonight so I'd like to take something new with me.

My problem, I think, is not shot making or position, but getting all the way out. So it may be my mental game that needs work, so I'm willing to take suggestions in that regard also.

Ben

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Practice some stop shots.
then maybe some draw or follow shots.
then some more stop shots.

A certain somebody I can't name because I only heard it through a grapevine used to throw some balls on the table and just hit stop shots.
Without even trying to make the ball.
Just get that cueball to stop.

A person won't get this drill right If something is out of whack.
just my couple cents worth...
best of luck
steven

Edit:
If you ever get the mental side of the game figured out please send me a pm or something.

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
This is exactly what "Playing the Ghost" is all about--learning to get all the way out.

Exactly. I want to be able to beat the ghost on a regular occasion. And I want to be able to post it in the ghost thread. So, I guess I need to get better against the ghost. Is there a preferred racking/breaking method?

I'm open for any other drills also

Ben

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One type of ghost practice that might help with "getting out" is racking say 6 balls, breaking, and then if you get out, increase to 7 balls. If you fail, go back down one ball. You'll get a good sense of your limits, and it's self-adjusting so you won't keep failing if you're having trouble with a full rack. Plus you get to figure out how to rack funny numbers like 8 or 12 balls. ;)

But I think most instructors would consider that to be playing (solitaire?) rather than true practice. Practice would involve breaking down a skill and, say, just hitting a ball straight and focusing on staying down or following through properly. I.e., it wouldn't be any fun. ;).

Weber

Registered
Exactly. I want to be able to beat the ghost on a regular occasion. And I want to be able to post it in the ghost thread. So, I guess I need to get better against the ghost. Is there a preferred racking/breaking method?

Ben

9 ball, break as you normally would, take ball in hand and try to run out. If you fail, rack the again and start over.

Ih82luz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy Dr Dave's dvd, VEPP (Video Encyclopedia of Pool Practice). Or go onto Youtube and search Dr Dave.

The other thing is to go to Billiard University (another Dr Dave product) and do the drills on it.

Print out the Masters sheets and do the drills for 8 ball and 9 ball.

I can't say more, about how these dvd's have helped me. They are great tools to help your game.

Good Luck.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless you're playing in an incredibly tough league, as a s/l 5/6, you're a ways from beating the 9 ball ghost. Not being mean, just realistic. If you want to improve as rapidly as possible, my recommendation is to take some lessons from a reputable instructor and purchase Mark Wilson's book. The book has a number of good drills in it.

Simply playing the ghost is not the most expeditious way to a accelerate your skills imho. As a 5/6, I'd guess your stroke and other fundamentals still need work. A good instructor can help you put together a good practice routine that will benefit you most.

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
Unless you're playing in an incredibly tough league, as a s/l 5/6, you're a ways from beating the 9 ball ghost. Not being mean, just realistic. If you want to improve as rapidly as possible, my recommendation is to take some lessons from a reputable instructor and purchase Mark Wilson's book. The book has a number of good drills in it.

Simply playing the ghost is not the most expeditious way to a accelerate your skills imho. As a 5/6, I'd guess your stroke and other fundamentals still need work. A good instructor can help you put together a good practice routine that will benefit you most.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definately be looking into a book or two. And thanks to the others for the suggestions also. I would like to hear something that I could work on tonight.

Ben

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10 Bad habits that keep you from running out!

I am an APA SL 5-6 and I play in league three days a week, and I practice at least two more days a week and sometimes, im playing all seven. So here's the deal. When I practice, I'm basically just playing by myself. Usually nine ball or ten ball. I would play straight pool if I had a 9' table at my disposal. Are there specific things I should be practicing? Drills or something of the like? I'm going to practice tonight so I'd like to take something new with me.

My problem, I think, is not shot making or position, but getting all the way out. So it may be my mental game that needs work, so I'm willing to take suggestions in that regard also.

Ben

http://www.easypooltutor.com/articles/52-david-sapolis-articles/23-ten-bad-habits-2.html

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member

Ben

Playing the ghost is great practice, but I think it's even better if you don't get too caught up on beating the ghost and instead use it as a tool to discover your weaknesses. I keep a notebook at hand and record the shots and shape that I mess up. I've found countless shots that I assumed I had mastered, but in reality would often lead to mistakes, and my game would improve everytime I identified one of those shots and practiced it to perfection.

Take care of your weaknesses and the wins against the ghost will start piling up before you know it!

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
1. Go see a reputable instructor if you can afford it. 2. Buy Mark Wilson's book "Play Great Pool" and work on the drills and suggested fundamentals 3. The Billiard University drills are quite good. Those three things are geared towards helping your stroke and your fundamentals. Working on getting a straight repeatable stroke is what will give you the most benefit.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just throwing the balls on the table, or playing the ghost, is not practice. It is playing. Practice is working on your fundamentals, working on shot making, working on position play, working on banks, kicks, safeties, ect. There are tons of drills available on line.

I also strongly recommend getting Mark Wilsons book. It will show you much that you never dreamed of before. That and Dr. Dave's book and videos are the best help outside of going to an instructor. Dr. Dave also has tons of free stuff on the net that is available to you.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best advice so far was from Neil with luz being a close second. I would guess that you play in a bar league if you don't have a 9' available to practice on, unless I missed something.

Work on specific things, search youtube for idea and create your own. Joe tucker has some good stuff that you can start with or get an idea on what to do. Dr Dave is also on you tube and I recommend starting there before going to his dvd as it can be overwhelming in the wrong hands or mind. Use the so called ghost/balls on the table as a benchmark or pop quiz for how you are doing just like citypool mentioned.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right you are BRussell! Someone can "practice playing" 24/7 and they may or may not significantly statistically improve. Deliberate, disciplined practice (which is not fun) pays huge dividends that can last for years to come!

Did you get the pages I sent you?

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

But I think most instructors would consider that to be playing (solitaire?) rather than true practice. Practice would involve breaking down a skill and, say, just hitting a ball straight and focusing on staying down or following through properly. I.e., it wouldn't be any fun. ;).