Something is wrong with Team USA

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thinking about it, I have seen golf advertised promoting what we'd call a money match. Not a tournament, but two golf pros squaring of for big money. The backers being major corporations, the promoters being TV networks. So, is that gambling? How is it any different than what pool players do?
And the benefactor is usually kids, or cancer, or some other charity. That's what draws in the major corporations, the tax deduction and bump to their image. I'm sure there's side betting behind the scenes (in fact I know it) but it's not advertised and if word gets out the pro tour sanctions the player(s) involved.

jb134

Momentarily ignoring the fact that there would be a large saver arranged between the teams if this ever happened, this would hurt American pro pool.

In the context of what pro pool players earn, the guaranteed $15,000 payday that comes with earning a spot on the Mosconi team is massive, roughly equal to what one earns if they win the Derby City 9-ball event or both of the Turning Stone events. That's why the chance to gain a spot on Team USA helps participation levels in all events carrying Mosconi ranking points. Get rid of the guaranteed payday for the losing team and a) far fewer would aspire to make the team, b) some might decline the invitation to play on the team, and c) the likelihood of fielding the best team possible will decline.
I don't think there would be a saver. What European would want a deal?

If team USA were getting nothing for getting beat here there is no way, in my opinion, Duel would have been anywhere near that team. The players would do better as a group and I don't believe that they would be on their phones when their teammates were playing.

However, sadly, yes, a lot of what you say is true and it is a bitter indictment on the state of the game. This is probably their one chance to really promote the game per annum and they couldn't even present themselves well.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

If team USA were getting nothing for getting beat here there is no way, in my opinion, Duel would have been anywhere near that team. The players would do better as a group and I don't believe that they would be on their phones when their teammates were playing.

However, sadly, yes, a lot of what you say is true and it is a bitter indictment on the state of the game. This is probably their one chance to really promote the game per annum and they couldn't even present themselves well.
No saver in pool ever makes theoretical sense for the favorite, but the saver is an established religion in pool when there's a big difference in prize money that the player's find silly. I'd say the chance of a saver would be 99.9%. By the way, a saver doesn't mean splitting the pot. It might mean an agreement for 35K per man to the winner and 10K per man to the losers instead of 45K per man to the winners. Winner take all just doesn't fly in this sport and it's a rarity in most other sports.

surlytempo

I like the idea of a winner take all. We might actually see some incentive for each team to play their hearts out instead of settling for the pay day.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As much as some would like to view the MC as some sort of warfare the reality is its an EXHIBITION. An exhibition that shows in NO uncertain terms that European pool is far better and much better organized than anything in the US. The idea of WTA will not change a thing.

Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As much as some would like to view the MC as some sort of warfare the reality is its an EXHIBITION. An exhibition that shows in NO uncertain terms that European pool is far better and much better organized than anything in the US. The idea of WTA will not change a thing.
The voice of reason has spoken. Well said!!

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What if the purse was split by the score to some extent? Maybe 20% of the purse to the winning team, the rest divided by percentage or racks won? That way there would be a big difference between an 11-2 loss ($26,308/$3,692) and an 11-9 loss ($19,200/$10,800).

Would a change in prize structure keep the losing team playing harder? Would it keep fans engaged even when the scores got out of line?

jb134

It was a poor exhibition from a team who couldn't even be bothered to dress themselves or support their teammates by staying off their phones. If that is worth $15k then fair enough but not a great showcase for a game desperately in need of sponsors and a cash injection.