Something to try if you have been missing more shots than usual

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When do you “pull the trigger” on a shot? Some players use a fixed number of warm up strokes, maybe 3 or 4, and then shoot the shot. Some jab at the cue ball almost as soon as they drop down on a shot. A lot of us make some adjustments as we execute warm up strokes until the shot “feel right,” and then we deliver the final stroke.

Last night I was playing a guy some cheap ($10/game) one-pocket. We have played each other maybe a dozen times and I rate it a pretty even match up. But last night I was trying to slow down my shooting routine by ADDING ONE WARM UP STROKE. In other words, I would line up the shot while standing, drop down on the shot, make small adjustments during warm up strokes until the shot felt and looked “on,” and then take an additional warm up stroke before pulling the trigger. Sort of a final check that everything was correctly aligned. I don’t recall ever noticing a problem on that final warm up stroke and don’t think there were any occasions where I stood up to look at the shot again once I completed that final warm up stroke. Probably the best one-hole I have played in years!

We have all missed shots due to “rushing the shot” and most of us know that when we are playing badly we can sometimes improve things by simply slowing down our game. Maybe there is someone out there who would be helped by adding one more warm up stroke to their routine. Give it a try.
 
I always had a 3 stroke routine. But I noticed when I came back this time after a long layoff I was missing some very short cut shots. I can't begin to tell you how mang 14.1 runs it cost me or how many times the ghost beat me because of it.

I found out that I was 1 or two stroking the real easy cuts while still thinking about how to get on the next shot. Since then I have made an effort to know where I wanted the QB for the next shot and looked good at where I wanted to hit the OB before getting down, keeping the same warm up stroke routine and not not rushing. I probably have improved 25% since then. Johnnyt
 
I normally would say to only shoot when you feel like it, and if you feel you need additional strokes then do them, don't lock yourself into a set number and then force yourself to shoot when you're not really sure of things.

However, bert kinister has a video where he recommends you line up with 0 warmup strokes, and just focus on fundamentals and stance until you're positive of everything. Then draw back slow, pause, and deliver.

I've tried it and while it was difficult and felt unnatural, I notice you focus more and just shoot in a more controlled way. You won't blow an easy one, make a lazy shot or dog your speed control by more than a little shooting this way. So maybe there's something to reducing warmup strokes.

I can't make myself shoot without warmup strokes all the time though. I don't know why it makes things feel tougher even if the results are good. Maybe the warmup lets your eyes see that the path of the cue is the one you're expecting, particularly if you're doing back hand english and want to make sure it gonna hit the CB where you want.
 
Back
Top