Southwest type cue

ILgrizz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who makes the closest southwest style cue that hits and and looks like the real thing ? That a working guy can afford ? Wes hunter ? Etc ….

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Hit is like Hot, it is individual thing.

I each very hot food that I think is no big deal.

Others would cry wolf, ask to be given antidote for the hot stuff I think in no big deal.

Many people do both Merry Widows, and Six Point Cues like Southwest Style Cues.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
When I ordered my 1st Jeff Olney cue he told me that he was going to make me a sw cue for about 1/5 the price (then). Turned out he wasn't kidding. I now have 4 of his cues and they look and play like sws. I do have a few of those as well so not comparing blindly. .

Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who makes the closest southwest style cue that hits and and looks like the real thing ? That a working guy can afford ? Wes hunter ? Etc ….
I bought my 1993 Dan Dishaw used in '94 or '95 because the hit was very, very similar to the two Southwest cues that I had owned previously. This was one of the very first cues Dan made to sell. I've not hit with any of his newer cues so I can't be a judge. At that time Dan's cues were considered to be "A poor man's Southwest". I still have and play with that cue and have had others since that I no longer own. Andy Gilbert, Mike Gulyassy, Murray Tucker, Kevin Varney, and a few others.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I ordered my 1st Jeff Olney cue he told me that he was going to make me a sw cue for about 1/5 the price (then). Turned out he wasn't kidding. I now have 4 of his cues and they look and play like sws. I do have a few of those as well so not comparing blindly. .
Yep.

Whenever somebody says Southwest-like, or poor man’s Southwest, I immediately think of Jeff Olney.

I have two buddies that have them, and they get mistaken for Southwests more often than you would imagine. They play pretty damn well too…

fab944

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Omen is one that I've been told has SW qualities. I can't be sure because I've never shot with a SW, only an Omen. FWIW.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Omen is one that I've been told has SW qualities. I can't be sure because I've never shot with a SW, only an Omen. FWIW.
No.
Might be the same look and screw but the taper is much different . Way different .
Specially the shaft taper . SW's taper is much fatter in the middle.
Omen's shaft are what is known as semi-pro taper nowadays . Gradual taper to the middle.
Nice taper actually imo. SW gets fat in the middle .

fab944

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No.
Might be the same look and screw but the taper is much different . Way different .
Specially the shaft taper . SW's taper is much fatter in the middle.
Omen's shaft are what is known as semi-pro taper nowadays . Gradual taper to the middle.
Nice taper actually imo. SW gets fat in the middle .
Thanks for the added info.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Probably no one. I spent time at the SW shop when Jerry was alive and had not seen a cue built with the same care. They were not just thrown together.

Every cue had tags on them throughout the build prosses. Everything was marked to achieve a predetermined predictable outcome for each cue I'm assuming to the customers preferences.

I have been in quite a few cuemaker shops. Never saw anything like they do at SW. Now, Jerry has been gone for a Long time, I can't say how the shop runs today.

Another thing, with everyone throwing after market CF shafts on cues today, does it really matter who built the butt anymore? I play with a cue I love that I built myself. Have to be honest, I'm probably going to get a CF shaft out of curiosity. I'm open minded.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well the CF Shafts are the latest, and greatest shafts.

I still use Wood, and when I am firing on all cylinders, Wood is wonderful.🤣

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think Indian is more important then Arrow.
🤯🤯🤯 Ya know what? That phrase is really getting old!

How about this one....
A skilled Indian wound never use a sub standard arrow unless he absolutely had to! He would try to obtain the best available that is to his liking! 🤔

There.... I like that one better. 😁

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member

How about this one....
A skilled Indian wound never use a sub standard arrow unless he absolutely had to! He would try to obtain the best available that is to his liking! 🤔

Agreed. I hate it too. The other one I hear a lot around here is "so and so is so good he beat me with a broomstick"... 1, that means you are bad. 2, imagine how good he would play with a decent cue and not a broomstick.

Whenever I hear that shit, I usually say "yeah but you dont climb a mountain in flipflops".

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

How about this one....

Well the Indian could be good or bad craftsmen, but skill is better then the arrow.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
Well the Indian could be good or bad craftsmen, but skill is better then the arrow.
That's not true either. When hunting, skill doesn't mean shit if you dont have the necessary tool to take down your quarry. You need both, good skill, good equipment.

chenjy9

How about this one....

The problem is that "best available" is wholly subjective. Heck, even the usage of "better" is almost always 100% subjective in the world of pool. What do we even define as standard? Would it be rolls straight, screwed on type, and has a rounded tip that can hold chalk? If so, then every cue from Lucky up can be considered at least a standard "arrow". Beyond that, what makes a Southwest cue better than a Nitti or Jerico? Shoot, what makes a Southwest cue better than a Mezz or even a McDermott? I've shot with one before, wasn't impressed at all. At the same time, I have a Schmelke Sneaky Pete as a house cue for my personal table that can pot balls as well as any cue I own. I bet if we take "feel" and "hit" out of the equation and gave all our cues to a robot, that the vast majority of this board won't like the results.

At the end of the day, things like feel or hit have nothing to do with the actual performance of a cue as long as it shoots true and everything else is 100% in our heads. That's why Earl Strickland could stand at the pinnacle using that POS fiberglass shaft that Cuetec peddled. That's why sponsored pros use whatever cues are given to them in tournaments.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
The problem is that "best available" is wholly subjective. Heck, even the usage of "better" is almost always 100% subjective in the world of pool. What do we even define as standard? Would it be rolls straight, screwed on type, and has a rounded tip that can hold chalk? If so, then every cue from Lucky up can be considered at least a standard "arrow". Beyond that, what makes a Southwest cue better than a Nitti or Jerico? Shoot, what makes a Southwest cue better than a Mezz or even a McDermott? I've shot with one before, wasn't impressed at all. At the same time, I have a Schmelke Sneaky Pete as a house cue for my personal table that can pot balls as well as any cue I own. I bet if we take "feel" and "hit" out of the equation and gave all our cues to a robot, that the vast majority of this board won't like the results.

At the end of the day, things like feel or hit have nothing to do with the actual performance of a cue as long as it shoots true and everything else is 100% in our heads. That's why Earl Strickland could stand at the pinnacle using that POS fiberglass shaft that Cuetec peddled. That's why sponsored pros use whatever cues are given to them in tournaments.
Earl broke with the fiber shaft. I dont think he played with it.

Plus, while companies are giving pros cues to use, they arent just playing with the same exact thing that we would be if we bought the same model. They have their own special customizations to it that are tailored to them, further reinforcing that it's not just the indian, but an arrow tailored to the indian's specifcations will help.