Splitting the championship match of a tournament

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been asked to split a couple of times and the answer was NO!

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been asked to split a couple of times and the answer was NO!

Let's say 1st was 1500 and 2nd was 1000 and you had lost one match already and the undefeated players was playing 3 balls better but offered you an extra $50 to split or 1,050 and 1450.

You can go home now at 1am with 1050 or play till 2 or 3am and probably get 1,000. Which are gonna do?

Ray

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I do think it is a matter of integrity over inconvenience or ensuring the most money for each person. I am sure I would lose sometimes, but at least when I won, I would know it. When life becomes so much about money that you choose this over playing it out, it may be time to re-think what your doing in the first place. I know that others may not agree, and they certainly have their right to that opinion. I just can't see why I would even play a tournament if not to ultimately see who wins.

I don't get this, how is it about integrity?
Why do people throw that word around when talking about splits, like the players are somehow cheating someone? It's not like they're dumping. Everything's up front and straightforward.

I do get the point about streams (and calcuttas). But I can count on zero hands the number of times I've ever been watching a paid stream where the players just cancelled the finals.
Can you name one time this has happened?

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Let's say 1st was 1500 and 2nd was 1000 and you had lost one match already and the undefeated players was playing 3 balls better but offered you an extra $50 to split or 1,050 and 1450.

You can go home now at 1am with 1050 or play till 2 or 3am and probably get 1,000. Which are gonna do?

Ray

Im Playing, I would never split!

2_Fast_4_Fleas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
let's say I had to be at work at 7am and it is a 4 hour drive to my house, and the split was more than just 50 dollars ...yes I took it. I was exhausted I had been there for days playing, I couldn't focus.. the results were in a 2 hour match that was a race to 7. if I would have won the next match and it took another 2 hours of me playing safeties in safeties and safeties who would have wanted to see that?....then, who would it actually watched at 4 in the morning for another match to start. I slept 9 hours Monday night 9 hours Tuesday night, and I will sleep another 9 tonight when I get off work and will probably still feel like dirt...

ruzzy1

Registered

Ray

thats all hes offering is 50 , hell yes we are playing .thats not a split lmao,ill take my chances for a 500 extra without even blinking .

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And there you have it. People with real jobs aren't going to stay till 5am at a room for an extra few bucks.

The issue is the time of play. Maybe the tournament director should find a way to make the finals over by midnight?

Ponytail

...it's about consistency
Silver Member
I have to say I'm somewhat shocked at the niavety of several people who have posted, stating that they would never split the finals of any tournament.

Seldom does it come down to the money. Most of the time it comes down to people, who respect eachother's games, if not outright friends, and who are very tired after playing all day, or working all day, and then playing the tournament, saying 2nd place gets a little more, 1st place gets a little less, and both players walk away satisfied.

In tournaments where there's a calcutta, the people who bought the players do have a say, but if the players want to split, and one of the player's owners does not want to split, I don't think they'll like how the match will turn out. They should find out pretty quick what their horse is wanting to do.

For those that think this a morally or ethically insensitive, one could argue that bidding on players in a pool tournament is also a moral or ethical issue, and that you're also gambling on the character of the person you're buying, not just their playing ability.

For most large tournaments, where titles are on the line, I have never known there to be splitting. Not to say that it does not happen. I have just never seen it.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
let's say I had to be at work at 7am and it is a 4 hour drive to my house, and the split was more than just 50 dollars ...yes I took it. I was exhausted I had been there for days playing, I couldn't focus.. the results were in a 2 hour match that was a race to 7. if I would have won the next match and it took another 2 hours of me playing safeties in safeties and safeties who would have wanted to see that?....then, who would it actually watched at 4 in the morning for another match to start. I slept 9 hours Monday night 9 hours Tuesday night, and I will sleep another 9 tonight when I get off work and will probably still feel like dirt...

You had a great tournament. The viewers were getting bored with all the safety play but I respect that you embrace your limitations AND you got there doing it.

Hope to see you out playing more.

Ray

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
I don't have any problems with the players chopping or splitting, it is there 'earned' money. Savers are OK also. It is up to the players and no one's business but the players.

Everyone takes chances when they partake in a Calcutta.

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally I've done a split any time I've ever been asked. I asked a guy once and he didn't answer so we played and I won. I've asked to split the guy said no so I asked to play for it all and lost (not a ton) and then beat the guy gambling after.

If I'm playing a finals and someone else has the other guy in the calcutta, that's their problem if the players decide to work a chop. I'd also go to the buyer and let them know we had discussed it to see what they say. I think it's far fetched for them to suggest for you to play..... Pool players aren't always the most honest, sometimes it's better to let them have their way and not risk the 'dump'

2_Fast_4_Fleas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well as soon as my opponent came to me with wanting to split the 1st and second money i told him that i would have to talk to the guy that bought half of me in the calcutta. and the 50 was...there was only 50 diff in between a true split...im no dummy im gonna take that and be on my way home to get ready to work 11 hours, but i did consult the guy that took half of me in the calcutta.. there was a benefit to us in that split also...and i know ray didnt wanna sit and burn up his time watching me play endless safetys because i cant focus enough to make a tough shot of keep control of my cueball....lmao anyone that wants the guys to play it out at 1:30 in the morning must watch my 2 hr match with loftis in that brutally long race to 7....then say you wanna watch more of that!:thumbup: