Sports on TV

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does this have to do with pool en-the-large or the games televised under the pool banner ?

That is do the masses think people rolling balls around a table trying to drop them in pockets is unworthy of their time ?
OR
That the masses don't like watching human-machines play 9-ball, 10-ball, and 1-pocket ?
Probably all of the above. I'm not the right guy for threads like this. I like pool and it's coverage just the way it is. :)

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched a Match between Steve Mizerak and Earl Strickland (include the Mosconi cup too) and the crowd was cheering when Earl made a jump shot and the 2-ball in the side pocket and the crowd didn't stop cheering until he finished the rack for the win (even Earl himself was fist pumping his cue before he sunk the 9-ball). IMO, people want to cheer/jeer & that creates an exciting event and experience. Now I see some events play soft music in the background to create "white-noise" to drown out any other noises that might startle or distract a player shooting. I don't want to get started on the loud beeping noise that is the 10 second shot clock while a player is shooting a difficult shot. Point being, let people have a good time and maybe it may translate to TV views. Maybe. I like Matchroom Sports commentators, they don't act or talk about how difficult pocket billiards is, they just commentate like anyone could be here playing, which in turn may give people a curiosity to play the game. Thanks for reading. They don't tell you how many years or beers it takes to get good at playing Corn-Hole or Tag.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched a Match between Steve Mizerak and Earl Strickland (include the Mosconi cup too) and the crowd was cheering when Earl made a jump shot and the 2-ball in the side pocket and the crowd didn't stop cheering until he finished the rack for the win (even Earl himself was fist pumping his cue before he sunk the 9-ball). IMO, people want to cheer/jeer & that creates an exciting event and experience. Now I see some events play soft music in the background to create "white-noise" to drown out any other noises that might startle or distract a player shooting. I don't want to get started on the loud beeping noise that is the 10 second shot clock while a player is shooting a difficult shot. Point being, let people have a good time and maybe it may translate to TV views. Maybe. I like Matchroom Sports commentators, they don't act or talk about how difficult pocket billiards is, they just commentate like anyone could be here playing, which in turn may give people a curiosity to play the game. Thanks for reading. They don't tell you how many years or beers it takes to get good at playing Corn-Hole or Tag.

If there is a market for chess, golf, and other sports that play in a decently quiet format, pool can do the same. It's just that it's a complex game to understand and looks boring to non-players in this era of 30 second attention spans.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If there is a market for chess, golf, and other sports that play in a decently quiet format, pool can do the same. It's just that it's a complex game to understand and looks boring to non-players in this era of 30 second attention spans.

Its a hard argument to make that pool is more complex and less boring to non-players than chess.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven’t picked up a newspaper in the last 20 years. And I haven’t watched broadcast TV in the last 10. To me getting pool on either of those is like trying to get pool on the Titanic.

We are far past the days of televisions having 30 channels and having pool on one of them means you have a 1 in 30 chance of capturing the attention of a nationwide captive audience of channel surfers.

We might as well be talking about how to get pool on radio while we are at it.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
All of those are more entertaining to the masses than pool.
Which is why CSI & Predator incorporated the suggestions made by consultants, and heed the advice from executives who are responsible for getting those other 'sports' on TV.