Square shaft

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was asked to sub for a bar league team in our area the other night for an Old Timers League that they had. One person on our team had a cue with a shaft I have never seen before. It was square, really neat to see, and quite honestly the guy shot really good with it. Never seen something like it. He just used an open bridge and cradled it in the crotch of his fingers. Amazing what you come across sometimes. I may keep subbing and if I do, really look forward to watching the old guy play with it again. I guess it was made somewhere near here, in Wisconsin.

Last edited:

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw an ad for a triangle shaped shaft in a magazine. Never heard of a square shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quite honestly, may have been triangle shaped. But I think it was square. Didn't get that close to it even though he was on the team I was on. I only semi knew a few people there, but if I shoot with him again, I'm going to ask to look at it.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why what, you must be confused. Never said it was something I was wanting, just something I had never saw before, and quite honestly interesting to watch the old timer play with. I can tell you one thing, he played ok with it, and by the look of him using it, probably has been playing with it his whole life. Odds are that if you offered to trade him a new high-tech shaft for it, he would just laugh as he was having a great time out with the guys, and also some good beer to go with it. Not everyone worry's or obsesses about pool the way a lot do on this forum. They just want to shoot some pool and have a few drinks with their friends.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember at one of the first Lite Beer World Championship of Tavern Pool someone was promoting "glass shaved" triangle shafts. Claimed they fit your closed bridge better.

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have shot with a triangle shaft before, it was a very long time ago. I sucked back then and it wasn't helping anyway. It was more of a snooker cue.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been subbing for this team now for over a month, and last week finally got to shoot with him again. Took a few pics of him and the cue, not the greatest of pics, but if you blow them up to look at, you should be able to make it out. Also after the league was over, my wife and I got a chance to try his cue out and hit a few balls. I really liked it, it had a really stiff hit. No closed bridge with this shaft. And to everyone that worries about a nick or dent in their shaft, you better not try this one as there is quite a few battle scars. Finish looks to be original. Fun time was had by all, it was great to shoot with someone older than me that just wanted to shoot some pool, have a few beers, and just have a good time.

Attachments

• 20220310_220051.jpg
    20220310_220051.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 344
  • 20220310_220905.jpg
    20220310_220905.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 347

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I've been subbing for this team now for over a month, and last week finally got to shoot with him again. Took a few pics of him and the cue, not the greatest of pics, but if you blow them up to look at, you should be able to make it out. Also after the league was over, my wife and I got a chance to try his cue out and hit a few balls. I really liked it, it had a really stiff hit. No closed bridge with this shaft. And to everyone that worries about a nick or dent in their shaft, you better not try this one as there is quite a few battle scars. Finish looks to be original. Fun time was had by all, it was great to shoot with someone older than me that just wanted to shoot some pool, have a few beers, and just have a good time.
That's actually really bad assed. I'd definitely love to try that out, I bet it hits nice.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It surprisingly really did hit nice, and was quite simple and stable to shoot with. No vibration, just a nice solid thunk.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There was a guy set up at SBE many years ago (15-20) that would make your shaft triangle shaped
for a fee of around 80.00 - 100.00 bucks. You give him the shaft and when done he would mail it back.

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I've seen triangular ones sold as a training gimmick, to help you stop twisting the wrist as you shoot. Never tried one though.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This shaft is square, and supposedly was made in Wisconsin 30 to 40 years ago. It was not a round shaft made to be square. Hope to see him tonight and will try and find out more about it.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Hit the cue ball with this flat side up and it goes straight. This one for left curves, the other for rights. 😜

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

OK, now I can see the thing it makes a bit more sense, I was thinking the whole thing was square including the tip and was wondering how that would work LOL

Interesting idea but I don't see it working too well on any sort of power hit over 50% speed.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
This shaft is square, and supposedly was made in Wisconsin 30 to 40 years ago. It was not a round shaft made to be square.
Hope to see him tonight and will try and find out more about it.
Where be DaBar?