Stan and a 33 minute video...

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Says the most prolific troll in the aiming forum. :rolleyes:

As much as I might appreciate the honorific there are guys on this forum that can give me the 5 and the breaks when it comes prolific trolling.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well there's no doubt you speak volumes.

Maybe save your strength for the book.

They'll be lots of commas and semi-colons to analyse.

Strength indeed will be needed all around.

Did you see the size of the binder Stan pats at the end of the video?! If that's "the book" it's a whopper. I had a Latin text book in high school skinnier than that, lol.

Lou Figueroa

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Strength indeed will be needed all around.

Did you see the size of the binder Stan pats at the end of the video?! If that's "the book" it's a whopper. I had a Latin text book in high school skinnier than that, lol.

Lou Figueroa

The book will surely contain a lot of instructional information in addition to CTE, including position play and fundamentals, you know... a complete book of how to play pool at a professional level. I hope this is the case anyway. I can't imagine a 300 page exposition on CTE alone, not when it's supposed to be a simple visual system that Stan says he can teach to almost any player in 30 minutes.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your thinking falls short. You are so bent on trying to disprove, that you have made yourself incapable of any real life improvement.

You have eyes to see, but do not see. Ears to hear, but do not hear. You can scoff all day long. But that will never help you make one iota of improvement in your abilities.

You can spend your time trying to improve, or you can spend it trying to discredit others. You can't do both. Choice and end result is up to you and you alone. You are the one that has to live with where each road leads you to.

Actually, quite the opposite. By paying attention to details, which engineers are paid to do, you can learn quite a lot. I can think of two examples personally. First, by thinking about Stan placing the ob in a slightly different position in his two videos, I learned about the graph of cut position vs throw and speed from Brian. I hadn't thought about that kind of thing in a long while, but Brian is an expert at how the ball throws. My take away is that throw is constant at different speeds up to around 15 degrees or so. Helpful to have in the back of my mind.

The other thing I learned came from Stan. In one of his videos Stan's elbow is very much in view. He shoots balls with a rock solid elbow. I have found that I play far more accurately with a fixed elbow. I know it is a hot button item, but for me there is no comparison. Everything just works at a different level when I maintain that fixed elbow. I've acknowledged Stan for doing that so well, and providing me a reminder of how to do a fixed elbow stroke properly.

I could go on, but you would just miss the point as usual. That's something else I've learned from this forum... Neil misses the point.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, quite the opposite. By paying attention to details, which engineers are paid to do, you can learn quite a lot. I can think of two examples personally. First, by thinking about Stan placing the ob in a slightly different position in his two videos, I learned about the graph of cut position vs throw and speed from Brian. I hadn't thought about that kind of thing in a long while, but Brian is an expert at how the ball throws. My take away is that throw is constant at different speeds up to around 15 degrees or so. Helpful to have in the back of my mind.

The other thing I learned came from Stan. In one of his videos Stan's elbow is very much in view. He shoots balls with a rock solid elbow. I have found that I play far more accurately with a fixed elbow. I know it is a hot button item, but for me there is no comparison. Everything just works at a different level when I maintain that fixed elbow. I've acknowledged Stan for doing that so well, and providing me a reminder of how to do a fixed elbow stroke properly.

I could go on, but you would just miss the point as usual. That's something else I've learned from this forum... Neil misses the point.

lol. Like I said, you have ears, but do not hear.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure about the other nit-pickers and naysayers, but my problem with CTE has nothing to do with those who use it successfully, or with trying to prove it doesn't work. I'm not involved in some obsessive plot to destroy CTE. Lol. I've just never accepted answers like "because I said so", or "that's just how it is", or "it's a mystery, you don't have to know how it works to do it".

These are answers given by run-of-the-mill teachers and college professors everytime a student like myself questions a lesson or statement given in class. It typically means they don't know the answer and want me to adopt their lack of knowledge as my accepted level of understanding. But I'm not wired that way. My mom was a math teacher, and she used to tell me to never accept an answer that doesn't make sense, that doesn't really answer your question. And if someone asks you a question, never give them an answer that doesn't answer their question.

I would say Dan and Lou are much like myself, but I could be wrong because I've never met them. Here's what I mean: I've never had a problem learning anything in my life. Everytime I've wanted to know how to do something, I learned it with no trouble, no hangups. When a friend calls for help, whether a car's broken down, a guitar amp quit working, an online college class is making him feel stupid, his house has an electrical problem or heating/cooling problem, his son or daughter scrambled up his Rubik's cube that he's kept on a shelf since 1986, or he or she just wants to know a good trap to use against a neighbor in a game of chess, etc....I'm the friend he calls because he knows I'll either know how to fix it, or how to do it, or I'll find out how to fix it or do it.

So this leads to my CTE problem. Why can't I solve it? I've done all the "simple" steps, watched countless videos and read numerous instructions, yet still it only works on certain shots. If I have to spend hours trying to get it to work on other shots, my common sense tells me there's more to it than simple objectivity. There must be some level of experience needed to develop the fine tuning needed to make it work, despite the adamant denial from Stan and others. So when obvious evidence of developed experience appears, I highlight it in order to prove to myself that that's why I can't easily pick it up like I've done with most everything throughout my life. It's not a bash on CTE, it's a bash on how it's being presented. And it's personal vindication, proving to myself that other variables are in play, and I'm not just failing to understand the instructions. I also highlight it because there are others out there that have the same questions and hangups that I have, and that Dan has. So if any of you others are reading this, and you've been struggling with trying to learn CTE, just remember....it's not you. But there's relief on the way.... buy Stan's book when it comes out.

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure about the other nit-pickers and naysayers, but my problem with CTE has nothing to do with those who use it successfully, or with trying to prove it doesn't work. I'm not involved in some obsessive plot to destroy CTE. Lol. I've just never accepted answers like "because I said so", or "that's just how it is", or "it's a mystery, you don't have to know how it works to do it".

These are answers given by run-of-the-mill teachers and college professors everytime a student like myself questions a lesson or statement given in class. It typically means they don't know the answer and want me to adopt their lack of knowledge as my accepted level of understanding. But I'm not wired that way. My mom was math teacher, and she used to tell me to never accept an answer that doesn't make sense, that doesn't really answer your question. And if someone asks you a question, never give them an answer that doesn't answer their question.

I would say Dan and Lou are much like myself, but I could be wrong because I've never met them. Here's what I mean: I've never had a problem learning anything in my life. Everytime I've wanted to know how to do something, I learned it with no trouble, no hangups. When a friend calls for help, whether a car's broken down, a guitar amp quit working, an online college class is making him feel stupid, his house has an electrical problem or heating/cooling problem, his son or daughter scrambled up his Rubik's cube that he's kept on a shelf since 1986, or he or she just wants to know a good trap to use against a neighbor in a game of chess, etc....I'm the friend he calls because he knows I'll either know how to fix it, or how to do it, or I'll find out how to fix it or do it.

So this leads to my CTE problem. Why can't I solve it? I've done all the "simple" steps, watched countless videos and read numerous instructions, yet still it only works on certain shots. If I have to spend hours trying to get it to work on other shots, my common sense tells me there's more to it than simple objectivity. There must be some level of experience needed to develop the fine tuning needed to make it work, despite the adamant denial from Stan and others. So when obvious evidence of developed experience appears, I highlight it in order to prove to myself that that's why I can't easily pick it up like I've done with most everything throughout my life. It's not a bash on CTE, it's personal vindication, proving to myself that other variables are in play, and I'm not just failing to understand the instructions. I also highlight it because there are others out there that have the same questions and hangups that I have, and that Dan has. So if any of you others are reading this, and you've been struggling with trying to learn CTE, just remember....it's not you. But there's relief on the way.... buy Stan's book when it comes out.

Just the opposite. Experience tends to retard the learning of CTE.

By the way, how does electricity actually work? How is it that the planets are just where they are? Need I go on with things you don't understand the answers to? I'm sure the list is quite long. Shall I add in exactly why you prefer cue A over cue B? Get the point?

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And you have a brain, but do not think.

It must bug the dickens out of you that even without a brain I could still figure out how to successfully use CTE, and there you sit, still scratching your head. :rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I too drop my elbow when shooting. Does Stan show a video on "how not to drop your elbow"? I'm very interested.
Thanks.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

By the way, how does electricity actually work? How is it that the planets are just where they are? Need I go on with things you don't understand the answers to? I'm sure the list is quite long. Shall I add in exactly why you prefer cue A over cue B? Get the point?

Don't have time to give you a full class on electricity, but I can easily explain exactly how it works. The atoms that form a conductor (that's a wire) are just sitting there with nothing to do until you flip a switch. That's when the electrons that get sent to your house from the power company are sent into the wire and it becomes alive with energy. The atoms that form the wire already have their own electrons, so when a new electron jumps into an atom, that atom immediately kicks one of its own electrons out to the closest atom in order to make room for the new electron. And that nearest atom does the same thing, and so on, all the way through the wire and through the lightbulb filament or led or fan motor or coffee pot, etc.....

It's a continuous cycle of in and out with these electrons. They're only looking for a place to stay and rest, but there is no rest as long as the switch is on. The atoms just keep ping ponging this little suckers back and forth.

I could go on and talk about solar systems, how larger objects attract smaller objects, creating a gravitational force that holds the planets of any particular solar system in an orbit around the largest mass, but I'm sure that'd be counter productive to your point.

Remember, I have a library with more than 3000 books at my disposal. You have no idea the extent of my knowledge and understanding. If you'd still like to pick my brain, pick a subject and PM me, except for CTE.....I don't have any useful information on that subject yet.

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CTE takes you to a slight overcut to the ghostball shotline. This alignment, applied with nothing but a CCB hit, will pocket the ball for an extremely large range of shots. If you apply a little spin or speed to the shot, again, it still pockets the ball for a very large majority of shots. Yes there are situations where extra scrutiny of throw and other factors must be considered. But for most intents and purposes, CIT is a red herring and largely ignorable. And yes, you must back up CTE with solid fundamentals, as always. Did I’m miss anything? Is this not the major point of the videos?

I'd like to see some of these videos, so where do I buy them, or are they shown on Youtube?
Thanks

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't have time to give you a full class on electricity, but I can easily explain exactly how it works. The atoms that form a conductor (that's a wire) are just sitting there with nothing to do until you flip a switch. That's when the electrons that get sent to your house from the power company are sent into the wire and it becomes alive with energy. The atoms that form the wire already have their own electrons, so when a new electron jumps into an atom, that atom immediately kicks one of its own electrons out to the closest atom in order to make room for the new electron. And that nearest atom does the same thing, and so on, all the way through the wire and through the lightbulb filament or led or fan motor or coffee pot, etc.....

It's a continuous cycle of in and out with these electrons. They're only looking for a place to stay and rest, but there is no rest as long as the switch is on. The atoms just keep ping ponging this little suckers back and forth.

I could go on and talk about solar systems, how larger objects attract smaller objects, creating a gravitational force that holds the planets of any particular solar system in an orbit around the largest mass, but I'm sure that'd be counter productive to your point.

Remember, I have a library with more than 3000 books at my disposal. You have no idea the extent of my knowledge and understanding. If you'd still like to pick my brain, pick a subject and PM me, except for CTE.....I don't have any useful information on that subject yet.

You only think you know. You can describe the basics of electricity, as can I and anyone that can read. But you can't explain the why of it. Nobody can at this point in time.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

The "experience" I'm talking about isn't general pool-playing experience, it's the repetitive experience of first missing a lot of shots with CTE before finally beginning to make it work with any consistency.

I understand that a player must forget all prior aiming knowledge/experience in order to develop their CTE experience. What doesn't make sense is that this learning/training process in any other aiming system is called rote, learning through trial and error, but not with CTE. Hopefully Stan's book will explain it.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The "experience" I'm talking about isn't general pool-playing experience, it's the repetitive experience of first missing a lot of shots with CTE before finally beginning to make it work with any consistency.

I understand that a player must forget all prior aiming knowledge/experience in order to develop their CTE experience. What doesn't make sense is that this learning/training process in any other aiming system is called rote, learning through trial and error, but not with CTE. Hopefully Stan's book will explain it.

The hard part is letting go of what you think you know, and just follow directions. When one finally does that, they then have that AHA moment. After that, it's just a short journey to knowing when to use which visuals. Which way to "pivot" is really self explanatory.

Doing the exercises in the video is a big help. It takes about 30 days to make something habit. In the first part of that 30 days, it will be work to totally let go of your old ways and habits.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I too drop my elbow when shooting. Does Stan show a video on "how not to drop your elbow"? I'm very interested.
Thanks.

No, but if you look at pretty much any of his videos he demonstrates the fixed elbow. It takes some practice to get the motion right. For me, thinking about a long follow through was actually counterproductive. That encourages elbow drop. The "correct" motion, if you choose to play with the fixed elbow, is much more of a jab stroke feeling, though you don't actually have to jab the ball.

I have also found that the majority of pro players for the majority of shots keep a fixed elbow at least until the cue ball has left the cue tip.

I found the video from Stan that I was talking about. The video starts with a good view of his elbow. Video taping yourself will do wonders for your ability to fix the elbow.

https://youtu.be/-1v49xzCKc4?t=1m14s

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
You only think you know. You can describe the basics of electricity, as can I and anyone that can read. But you can't explain the why of it. Nobody can at this point in time.

What do you mean by the "why" of it? Electron flow is a naturally occurring thing in nature. There is no "why". We have learned how to produce the electron flow, harness it for use, by using coils and magnetic fields, and the "why" is so we can use it for power. But as far as nature, there is no "why". It's like asking why we have billions of galaxies. We just do because they exist.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
The hard part is letting go of what you think you know, and just follow directions. When one finally does that, they then have that AHA moment. After that, it's just a short journey to knowing when to use which visuals. Which way to "pivot" is really self explanatory.

Doing the exercises in the video is a big help. It takes about 30 days to make something habit. In the first part of that 30 days, it will be work to totally let go of your old ways and habits.

This sounds wonderful. But I'm not willing to let go of my current knowledge in order to reprogram my brain. It also takes about 30 days to develop a strong bad habit.

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
So this leads to my CTE problem. Why can't I solve it? I've done all the "simple" steps, watched countless videos and read numerous instructions, yet still it only works on certain shots. If I have to spend hours trying to get it to work on other shots, my common sense tells me there's more to it than simple objectivity. There must be some level of experience needed to develop the fine tuning needed to make it work, despite the adamant denial from Stan and others. So when obvious evidence of developed experience appears, I highlight it in order to prove to myself that that's why I can't easily pick it up like I've done with most everything throughout my life. It's not a bash on CTE, it's a bash on how it's being presented. And it's personal vindication, proving to myself that other variables are in play, and I'm not just failing to understand the instructions. I also highlight it because there are others out there that have the same questions and hangups that I have, and that Dan has. So if any of you others are reading this, and you've been struggling with trying to learn CTE, just remember....it's not you. But there's relief on the way.... buy Stan's book when it comes out.

I started on the same path with the first DVD. It was puzzling. The language was very different from pool terms I normally heard. So what I had to do was just go to the table and start going through the motions. I went to the table, had the DVD information handy and just started shooting the shots presented on the DVD. Following the instructions did make the balls fall, although I didn't really feel a strong connection between what I was doing and what was happening. I'd say I spent 15-20 minutes a day for a couple weeks just going through the shots. It was around that time when my eyes and my conscious mind started to make some connections about what was going on. That's about the best way I can explain it. But, it was like a lightbulb, and I began to recognize what I was looking for, and what I needed to do to make the connection. Then going back though the DVD, a lot of the terms and explanations started falling into place. It was right in front of me all along, but I just wasn't really absorbing the information very quickly. From there things got easier and stronger very rapidly.

Now, that was about six years ago. During those six years the language behind the the system have gotten better. Also, the system itself has materialized into a much easier to understand and more refined than what we had with DVD1. I am hoping the book is going to really drive this home. I have been given some of this information and I've already made many more strides in my game. I'm awaiting that book so we can all talk about it openly! :)