Standing on table after winning a tournament...disrespect

smoochie

NotLikeThis
I really dislike anyone that stands on the table...no respect whatsoever. I know Earl Strickland started it or maybe was it Darren Appelton? I'm not sure, but I never liked this thing when they put both hands on the table then jump and stand up on it after a winning...its so disrespectful in my eyes and it doesn't look good at all on tv.

Anyone share that opinion the same as me? If yes then you have big respect for pool & pool tables.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think it was Earl that did it first. Then it was done in a true outburst of emotion and while I didn't like somebody jumping on a pool table, I thought he deserved a pass.

Later displays by copycats and even whole teams, I didn't like. The US Mosconi team getting on the table and jumping up and down seemed like an effort to break down the table. It also seemed very very preplanned. Of the bunch, I did notice Shane jumping very very gently!(Grin) Not saying he was the only one, he was the one I noticed. I noticed that they looked like a team of seven year old girls jumping too.

Real unplanned displays are one thing, these choreographed displays just make me cringe.

Hu

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody would stand on a table (unless a complete ass) if that table was in its permanent place.
If I owned a Room and someone jumped on my table........... ??? I'm old but

I think the only time I've seen players jump on a table is places like the Mosconi Cup.

Yes I agree the equipment is disrespected but, in some cases, not the game.

That's just me thinkin

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Most of me says that spontaneous displays, no matter how animated, of genuine joy serve pool well.

That said, I think these displays of standing on the table are getting old and don't look spontaneous. Will things get to the point that a winning quarterfinalist at the Slovenia Open gets up on the table?

Then again, if Matchroom feels that these "on the table" celebrations help sell pool to its fans and would-be fans, I'm OK with it.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I really dislike anyone that stands on the table...no respect whatsoever. I know Earl Strickland started it or maybe was it Darren Appelton? I'm not sure, but I never liked this thing when they put both hands on the table then jump and stand up on it after a winning...its so disrespectful in my eyes and it doesn't look good at all on tv.

Anyone share that opinion the same as me? If yes then you have big respect for pool & pool tables.
Kim Davenport before them. Let’s all get over it.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
99% sure Emily told the players to do that if they won.
Matchroom likes to put on a show.
Ko will probably never do that again.
He is a pretty chill guy. I'm very happy for him.
But haters be haters. If you don't like it, I doubt he gives two sheyets.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just once I'd like to see someone celebrate winning a tournament by picking up the table and holding it over their head like a trophy.

If anyone ever picks up a pool table over their head the most I will say is, "Sir, please be careful when you set that down."

Looking at your tagline from the Hustler made me think. How would the ending have stood up if Newman jumped on the table?

Hu

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mostly, it just looks goofy.
yes while ripping off your shirt and sliding
across the grass after a goal in football/soccer is kinda glorious

and spiking the winning touchdown pass
in nfl football is wonderful and simple

the message of being, standing,
walking, or jumping on a pool table

is goofy- there is no message really
except F. U.

snap your cue in half!
that’s an equally weird victory celebration
that i would support

but get on the table?
you’re an idiot
justmyopinion
not the judge or jury

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
The great Dan Gurney started the tradition of spraying champagne after a big motor race is won...now it's kind of become a tradition. I tend to look at table standing in the same way.

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s like Helio Castroneves climbing the fence after winning the Indy 500. The first time was original and enough.

But yes, jumping on the table looks bad and is disrespectful to the equipment in my opinion.

I think the players should try smashing and throwing their cues, cases and spectator chairs around instead in the manner of Pete Townshend. Now that would be original. ;)

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’m quite sure we had this identical topic discussed in a thread a year or so ago. As with virtually all things here, you’ll get a variety of opinions.

Do I think it’s showing disrespect to the equipment, yes, but as long as it’s not my table and the promoters encourage it, I’m guessing it will continue.

I just wonder if the future buyer/owner of this tournament used table would approve of this or is even made aware of this? I doubt it.

Last edited: