Stans latest videos

GoldenFlash

Banned
Glad to see the admins. watching this place

AT LAST........
We have a discussion thread on aiming without the cheap shots and lame, snotty, remarks from the same old people.
It's good to see the troublemakers get disciplined. Man, they shutup quick when the boss lays down the law on them. :thumbup:
What an improvement!
Happy days and good times ahead!!
Flash

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
How is it possible that someone would think cte would not work in snooker?

Well, the nap for one thing...You DO know that when playing a slow/medium speed snooker shot across or diagonally across the nap, the nap will pull the ball sideways to the direction of travel, depending on position, right? This is actually a significant effect. The nap will pull the cueball out of position before it reaches the object ball, it will also pull on the object ball, but the cueball effect is more noticable. That is because even the tiniest deviation here will have big consequences on the object ball contact point. You may have noticed that snooker players tend to smack balls pretty hard, whenever that is an option (which it freqently isn't). Even straight in shots diagonal to or across the nap will need to be played as cut shots in snooker, especially if they are long and slow(ish). Of course with time this becomes subconscious (the adjustments are small but significant) which is why this isn't discussed much, and on the faster cloths it becomes less pronounced, sadly the faster cloth tables usually have smaller pockets too...

That is not to say that it is impossible to use CTE for some sort of initial alignment, just that this particular alignment won't be perfect for a whole lot of speeds and it will depend greatly on the shotlines angle to the nap. The problems come up when people think this is an entirely mechanical/robotic procedure completely without feel, which when followed give perfect center pocket shots. I don't belive this to be true on any table, but on the snooker table it is demonstrably false, as shown in post below (excluding of course american snooker tables with non-directional cloth and large pockets, which I hear exist, my post concerns itself with tight(ish) 6*12 snooker tables with traditional cloths). This should be a mandatory part of any marketing directed at snooker players. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why I had a lot of trouble with CTE on the snooker table, which is where I did my testing of it.

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Snooker problems

Here is a quick illustration of the effects. The line for cueball travel and object ball aim are wildly exaggerated, but show the effect. Other shots will have different effects depending on shotline relative to nap direction and of course which way you are cutting the ball.

Last edited:

Player

I'm your huckleberry
Silver Member
AT LAST........
We have a discussion thread on aiming without the cheap shots and lame, snotty, remarks from the same old people.
It's good to see the troublemakers get disciplined. Man, they shutup quick when the boss lays down the law on them. :thumbup:
What an improvement!
Happy days and good times ahead!!
Flash

I agree! Many times when trying to learn CTE I would see a thread about it only to find out that it had been hi-jacked and turned into a shouting match or worse. You know, a lot of people come here to try to learn something.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Ever notice how these salemen use OB 2' to 3' from pocket and same shot many times? Let me set up 100 different 7' to 8' shots with different angles, with no editing. After 100 shots you will see how good a system is. Johnnyt
Sure. You mean like Colin Colenso's potting test?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk