Stans latest videos

hboat333

Registered
I had some trouble with them early on, until I understood one thing that helped. Here is what it was for me.

When you are standing behind the CB on the visual, imagine a string from CCB to your nose. This is the CCB line. Now depending on if you are doing a left or right pivot, you are going to end up laying your cue down next to (parallel to) that line offset by 1/2 tip. That is the important part. Now that you know exactly where the cue is going, it is just a matter of getting it there. Beginners are taught to move the cue straight in along that line. However it is more natural to just bring the cue in from the side and put it there. So a sweep is basically moving your body and cue appropriately to place the cue on that offset. If you are right handed, a right pivot will be essentially bending over. A left sweep will require a slight turn of the shoulder. I also start out with my body off to the left further on a left sweep so I'll be out of the way for the pivot.

Pro One is sweeping to the post-pivot position. That position is easy to get to once you know the pre pivot position. Either one can be done: sweep to pre pivot or sweep to post pivot. I like pre pivot so I can check the visuals at full stance.

Great explanation and description. Thanks for taking the time to share and instruct.

I think Stan should hire you and open a school....

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how it works with the 45 degree perception which is a single line perception.

Have you tried that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiulmSbLDZM

The 45 degree perception and the 60 degree perception aren't actually single line perceptions, so there's possibly maybe an equivalent solution. I'm going to take the stuff covered in the video in op's post to the table tomorrow and work out the 15 and 30 first.

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
Last edited:

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
This video from January is the 1st one that made any sense to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iuvQT7dwfs

I think Stan finally realized he had been spewing mud and started coming clean with this December video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl42c7ZYt4Y

And just before Stan posted, Stevie Moore posted this CTE: Parallel Shots Study
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1mlnRiAXA8

So now I see hope that more people like me may learn CTE.

I'm not sure what is meant by "spewing mud". The entire system is a work in progress over the last several years. Everything is still valid since DVD1, the system itself has not changed. There have been a few additions since DVD1 that have been exposed as Stan has progressed his work. The language to convey the system has refined over time as well.

GoldenFlash

Banned
I'm not sure what is meant by "spewing mud". The entire system is a work in progress over the last several years. Everything is still valid since DVD1, the system itself has not changed. There have been a few additions since DVD1 that have been exposed as Stan has progressed his work. The language to convey the system has refined over time as well.
Well stated.
In my opinion, many many players think that a 'system' translates into a method of aiming that allows instant gratification. Thus resulting in confusion.
It took me a few months to learn how to visually define the estimations (perceptions), but I did it slowly, over and over and over and over. Now it seems as if I never played any other way.
I believe it is a tremendous discovery...combine it with Wiley's T.O.I. and your shot making percentage will go through the moon.
Patience, patience, patience, patience.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Ever notice how these salemen use OB 2' to 3' from pocket and same shot many times? Let me set up 100 different 7' to 8' shots with different angles, with no editing. After 100 shots you will see how good a system is. Johnnyt

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ever notice how these salemen use OB 2' to 3' from pocket and same shot many times? Let me set up 100 different 7' to 8' shots with different angles, with no editing. After 100 shots you will see how good a system is. Johnnyt

Stan would make a believer of you. In fact there are several of us here in Florida that could take that challenge.
Oh by the way, the you tube videos are free so no salesman involved.

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
So one determines if its about a 15,30. 45. etc.. then decide if it should be adjusted thick or thin and then adjust speed.

Gotta say sure sounds like MAMB.

Would be great if the general location of shots are discussed. Approximate location on the table (overhead view) and as mentioned more the just the half table shots.

Also maybe show position being used say against the 4 or 5 ball ghost.

I think some of this is what gives some people doubt.

Last edited:

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
I'm going to try to setup an overhead view of my table and get some demos posted. The system works fine on long shots. It is not fractional aiming! The 15,30,45 are perceptions, not angles.

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member

No, I haven't. There are dozens of (free) videos that demonstrate just about any shot on the table. The shorter shots are optimal for tutorials and discussion. There is no question that longer shots require more precision and steady stroke. The system works all the same.

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
My understanding is the (A)15, (B)30 (C) 45 etc are not perception them self but fixed spot on the OB. That is the way my DVD makes point of it anyway. (but Stan did imply in the latest vid I think they were just slightly off the quarter (colored sections on stripped balls) but maybe only on certain ball sets??.)

The actually aligning is perceptual as we all see it slightly different ?. Everyone perception of center and true edge is different and will also vary based on distance. (YES?)
and I'm aware we do not get both say CTE & ETB perfect lines. It's when they appear to both appear perceived at the same time (YES)

To decide when to use A,B or C. ETE, CTE, ETC then pivot left or right ( this is where the tweaking comes into play along with speed which itself effects throw,(?) as needed ( this is the HAMB part).

Would like to have someone truly knowledgeable of the system my area.

I am not trying to bash the work of Stan just asking the question I know some would like to ask but can get labeled as haters. (Acknowledgment there are some that are and do just beat it down)

look forward to the overhead shots....

Last edited:

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
My understanding is the (A)15, (B)30 (C) 45 etc are not perception them self but fixed spot on the OB. That is the way my DVD makes point of it anyway. (but Stan did imply in the latest vid I think they were just slightly off the quarter (colored sections on stripped balls) but maybe only on certain ball sets??.)

The positions on the balls (edges, quarters, centers) are fixed places from a given head position. The lines CTEL and A/B/C are perceptions. You can't line them up in 2d dot-to-dot like on paper, they would never work. They'd all end up aligning the same. Stan showed that in a recent video too.

The actually aligning is perceptual as we all see it slightly different ?. Everyone perception of center and true edge is different and will also vary based on distance. (YES?)

I think anyone is capable of seeing these perceptions and making them connect. People that don't make it connect may often chalk up their conclusions to this. However, I can't prove one way or another either.

and I'm aware we do not get both say CTE & ETB perfect lines. It's when they appear to both appear perceived at the same time (YES)

The connections of perceptions to the CB/OB points look right from one place only. Moving the head left/right may help zero in when you are first learning. This gets stronger and stronger (ie. instant) with experience.

To decide when to use A,B or C. ETE, CTE, ETC then pivot left or right ( this is where the tweaking comes into play along with speed which itself effects throw,(?) as needed ( this is the HAMB part).

The decision on A/B/C and pivot is a very mechanical process at first. You can see from a specific perception if you shot the ball straight through with no pivot, if it needs thickened or thinned. If the thick/thin doesn't get there, wrong perception. This gets really easy with experience. The DVD setup shots also accelerate the learning.

The tweaking comes in with the full circle CTE where perceptions are seen at full stance. You tweak to that perfect perception if you didn't land right on it from ball address. EVERY SHOT is susceptible to speed and spin. CTE gives you the angle. Experience gives you the rest of the equation.

replies in blue.

hboat333

Registered
I want to underscore the fact that 15, 30, 45 and 60 are perceptions, and which 'solution' one uses is very dependent on the distance between the CB and OB. With these balls very, very close, one may use a 45* visual thickened to pocket a cut that may only be a 7* angle. At the other end of the spectrum, one might use a 15* visual thickened to pocket an 30* shot from 8 ft away.

oldmanatc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd also like to point out that the pivoting isnt an adjustment where the shooter has to decide how much to thicken or thin the shot. Its a slight rotation around the CB that happens in a two step process in manual CTE. this is why there are different bridge lengths based on the distance between CB and OB.

CTE works very well for long shots. There are some out there applying CTE to snooker with great success.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It is not fractional aiming! The 15,30,45 are perceptions, not angles.
Fractional alignments are "perceptions" too. CTE is fractional aiming with a couple of refinements:
- use the CTE line as a "general orientation" alignment
- adjust from fractional alignment to actual alignment with "visual" and "pivot"

pj
chgo

oldmanatc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't say pro snooker players. Theres a thread or two on this forum discussing CTE and snooker. I found it with a google search, but a forum search should suffice.

hboat333

Registered
Id like to get someone to elaborate on how they are utilizing TOI and CTE.

CTE involves a few basic perceptions and then the shot must be either thinned or thickened. Sometimes I'll 'thin' a shot by hitting it real firm w/ inside english and the squirt takes care of the thinning rather than an inside manual pivot. By the same token, I very often thin a shot by putting a good amount of outside english on it. This seems to work especially well for me w/ the 30* perception.