Starkey is a great guy

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
I wanted to share the experience I had recently ordering a cue from Chuck.

We started talking about a cue about 6 months ago (more or less). It started with trading ideas and getting a general idea of what theme the cue should have. We settled on a southwestern-tribal-themed cue made of mesquite with purfling inlays. It took a while to track down a source of stable wood, but eventually he found some from one of his suppliers. I had to repeat my set of specs a couple times (he had computer issues and lost the first set), but the communication was generally very good.

I received the cue a few weeks ago, however the specs didn't match and there were some cosmetic issues. I did get to hit with one of his old-growth shafts, and it was EXCEPTIONAL. He was also generous enough to include an extra old-growth shaft for free! I just couldn't get over the flaws. I'm not a snob, but these flaws were too much for me. Chuck was very understanding, so I sent the cue back to be fixed. He added some weight, refinished the cue, and sent it back with the right shaft (got an OB-2 the first time when I ordered an OB Classic Pro). Well, the length was wrong (I didn't measure it the first time, but it was included in the specs I had re-sent) and there were even more cosmetic issues (although different ones).

So, not every review is going to be completely positive. This was my first real custom cue order and I wanted to be honest with my experience. While I was disappointed in the product I can’t say enough good things about Chuck’s customer service and communication. Due to his try-before-you-buy policy, I’m not taking a financial loss.

No doubt this cue will be touched up and put up for sale here soon with the two old-growth shafts with no ferrule, so keep your eye out for a great opportunity at a unique Chuck Starkey cue. I'm sure it will make someone very happy. I wish it could have been me :p

bobroberts

Pool player
Silver Member
While your review was unfavorable to the cue itself it was favorable to the maker as far as customer service.
We need more reviews like this instead of just how great every cue hits or looks.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm far from perfect

" you can please some of the people all the time and you can please all of the people some of the time, but you cannot please all the people all the time. i believe abe lincoln said that.
i'll let you be in my dream, if i can be in yours, and i said that."

line from bob dylan song.

i build cues as a hobby as many of you know, and i cannot please everyone, i try to build a great hitting cue with looks secondary. one of the reasons that i never take a deposit, and i am working on my money all the time and the customer never has any money invested. only after the cue is finished and the customer has a chance to hit a few racks, then they have to make a decision as to pay or simply return the cue. the customer has lost nothing. maybe i'm right or maybe i'm wrong. its just the way i do business. of the 350 cues i have made i have had less that 1% returned, so i must be doing something right.
i will agree with zack, after he sent me photos magnified 4x i could see the scratches in the rings, and if this was one of the things he did not like, then i believe it was enough for him to return the cue. it would have been a distraction to him and he could not have played with the cue.
this cue is a one of one native american design with a ob classic pro, [ $200 ] and 2 old growth shafts [ $150 each ]. as soon as i get a chance to refinish the cue it will be in the for sale section $600.00 delivered in the usa.
everyone have a great and safe new year

chuck starkey

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
Chuck, thanks again for the great communication and good luck with your sale. No doubt at least 99% of your customers are happy with the end-product. I was just unlucky this time.