Statistical comparison of 9-ball versus 10-ball?

JarnoV

JarnoV
Silver Member
Are there any publicly available statistics that compare pro tournaments playing either 9-ball or 10-ball?

There's a lot of talk that 10-ball is much harder, which I agree with, but it would be nice to see some statistics on just exactly how different they are. Stuff like how often a ball is made on the break, how often do pros run-out after making a ball on the break and so on.
 
if anyone would have this it'd be accustats, but they apparently don't do the whole stat thing anymore?! There was a guy who recently posts who knows the accustats ratings systems and applied them to recent us open 9b matches. Maybe the same guy is doing it for 10b. Search the forum for accustats and you will find the post and hopefully can get him a message.
 
Are there any publicly available statistics that compare pro tournaments playing either 9-ball or 10-ball?

There's a lot of talk that 10-ball is much harder, which I agree with, but it would be nice to see some statistics on just exactly how different they are. Stuff like how often a ball is made on the break, how often do pros run-out after making a ball on the break and so on.

if in 10ball u make one on the break and the ballsspred out then 10ball isnt harder than 9ball.they say it is because 10 ball breaks like 8ball and alot of times the balls stay bunched together after the break.
 
if in 10ball u make one on the break and the ballsspred out then 10ball isnt harder than 9ball.they say it is because 10 ball breaks like 8ball and alot of times the balls stay bunched together after the break.

That's kind of like saying if you make 6 balls on the break in 9-ball it 's the same difficulty level as 3-ball, lol.

Some commentator said once that they timed some games and the average 10-ball game took much longer to play than 9-ball games. I seem to remember it being 5 minutes for 9-ball and 12 minutes for 10-ball but I might be way off.
 
It would be interesting to see a statistical analysis of the two games.

Are there fewer B&Rs in 10 Ball?
Are there more innings in 10 Ball?
Does 10 Ball take longer to play?
Do player's performance stats change?

The answers would help to better understand the differences.

I think that 9-Ball is a gamblers game while 10-Ball with WPA rules may be more of a sport (more like tennis where you have to break the opponents serve).
 
That's kind of like saying if you make 6 balls on the break in 9-ball it 's the same difficulty level as 3-ball, lol.

Some commentator said once that they timed some games and the average 10-ball game took much longer to play than 9-ball games. I seem to remember it being 5 minutes for 9-ball and 12 minutes for 10-ball but I might be way off.

I think the main reason for the greater time needed for a 10-ball match
is the call shot rules.
Takes away many 2 or 3 way shots and forces conservative decisions.
Texas express rules are more exciting and actually requires more
inventiveness...like what Efren and Corey Duell bring to rhe table.

Call-shot 10-ball is a communist plot,intended to make the game
less popular.
that's my oppinion....sue me
 
My observation after watching a million 9-Ball tournaments and maybe a hundred Ten Ball events. Ten Ball is maybe a 20% harder game than 9-Ball. The one additional ball makes a huge difference, especially on tight tables. Definitely many more safety battles and harder to make a ball on the break. Even if you make a ball on the break, there is less chance of having a good shot on the one, and thus a run out opportunity.

Far fewer break and runs in Ten Ball. A two rack run is excellent and rare, even with top players. You might not see three racks run during an entire tournament. In 9-Ball it was nothing to see players string racks. Contrary to popular opinion, I think it is harder to make the ten ball on the break. With a good tight rack, it just doesn't move much. The rule about not winning on the break should be removed. The fans like to see this happen, at least once in a while. Watch the matches being shown by TAR now, and tell me how many ten balls go on the break. Seen any yet?

Ten Ball is a better game for today's top players. Definitely separates the men from the boys. 9-Ball remains a good game on tough equipment like Diamonds. As you can see by watching the U.S. Open currently, Ten Ball is one tough game on Diamond tables.
 
Last edited:
No question there are fewer break and runs. I've seen maybe 7 out of 40+ games I've seen in the recent tar streams. More of them were tricky outs than gimmes. Supposedly that's even playing on a "soft" table that accepted some off-center balls. Though I have trouble thinking of any 4.5" diamond as soft.

It seems like a miracle if someone has a look at the 1 after the break. Even shane's break where he positions the 1 near the corner sometimes leads to a hook.

I think the next time I watch a stream I'll keep an excel spreadsheet open and track innings, look at the 1, and so on. There's a wealth of 9b data to compare this to already. Are scratches on the break maybe more prevalent also?
 
Back
Top