Steps to becoming a Certified Instructor

SKUNKBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have conceeded that I will never make a living of playing pool. I do have a good understanding of the rules and physics of the game though. I have actually 'taught' (using that term loosely) some people from time to time different aspects of how to play the game. I have not ever called myself an instructor though.

What are the steps that I would need to take to become a Certified Instructor? Pool School somewhere? ACS, BCA, WPA? Do these organization all have their own version of a Certified Instructor and would I need to jump through all of those hoops (probably all the same stuff) to become a Certified Instructor.

Lastly, what is the advantage of becoming Certified? Wouldn't a good instructor be rewarded for doing a good job and get referals from previous clients? I'm not looking to go national or anything, just operate at the local pool halls and out of my home.

Thanks for your help. If this subject has been covered here, maybe you could reference the threads that I could read.

Thanks...Ken

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SKUNKBOY...The usual progression, for those wanting BCA Certification is this...first attend attend pool school (this makes sure that your information, and stroke quality are up to date). Then you come back as an instructor candidate, and help teach a 3 day school. This gives you accrediation for the entry level certification (recognized level). You send in your license fee to the BCA, and start teaching. There are three more levels to upgrade to (certified, advanced and master). There are minimum numbers of students you have to work with each year, and time frames regarding upgrades. All this info can be see at www.bca-pool.com.

The BCA Certification program is the only accredited teaching program in the U.S., and has been turning out certified instructors for more than 20 yrs. The P.A.T. program is being developed in Europe, but has yet to make much of an impression here (WPA has nothing to do with P.A.T.). The SPF segment of BCA instructors, are probably the most active, and teach the most students, here in the U.S. We certainly believe it is the easiest way for someone to learn. BCA Certification is merely one way to make you stand out from others. You're correct, that if you do a good job, you will gain more students, just from word of mouth. The biggest advantage I can think of, is you will learn how to be the best instructor you can be.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I have conceeded that I will never make a living of playing pool. I do have a good understanding of the rules and physics of the game though. I have actually 'taught' (using that term loosely) some people from time to time different aspects of how to play the game. I have not ever called myself an instructor though.

What are the steps that I would need to take to become a Certified Instructor? Pool School somewhere? ACS, BCA, WPA? Do these organization all have their own version of a Certified Instructor and would I need to jump through all of those hoops (probably all the same stuff) to become a Certified Instructor.

Lastly, what is the advantage of becoming Certified? Wouldn't a good instructor be rewarded for doing a good job and get referals from previous clients? I'm not looking to go national or anything, just operate at the local pool halls and out of my home.

Thanks for your help. If this subject has been covered here, maybe you could reference the threads that I could read.

Thanks...Ken

SKUNKBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Scott for the reply. I'll look into the possibilities you have suggested.

L8R...Ken

IA8baller

Family man.
Silver Member
I have also considered becoming certified as well but after crunching the numbers for the costs involved vs. the return I might expect then it didn't look as appealing as I thought it might. I think if I were in a more densely populated area it might be much more appealing as the possibilities would increase dramatically for the return on my investment. I may still go to a pool school or two in the next several years for my own purposes but I think I have decided that the $$$ they want you to invest to become certified and beyond is a tad too much $$$ to make it worthwhile so I'll just keep instructing the few people I do for free just for the enjoyment of doing it for people who actually want to take the time and effort to try and learn something and become better players.

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
I have also considered becoming certified as well but after crunching the numbers for the costs involved vs. the return I might expect then it didn't look as appealing as I thought it might. I think if I were in a more densely populated area it might be much more appealing as the possibilities would increase dramatically for the return on my investment. I may still go to a pool school or two in the next several years for my own purposes but I think I have decided that the $$$ they want you to invest to become certified and beyond is a tad too much $$$ to make it worthwhile so I'll just keep instructing the few people I do for free just for the enjoyment of doing it for people who actually want to take the time and effort to try and learn something and become better players.

Hey, now! There's no place in pool for good attitudes like this! :wink:

Roger
p.s. Sending you a PM

daddyg

Registered
I play in a tournament where I am rated a seven. I noticed one of the players had on a shirt with a pool school logo.I found out he was the instructor.one of the other players said the instructor was a four or five rated player.He could never make a living playing pool, but has enough knowledge to instruct others.You may not be a top notch player,but you could become a very good teacher.Dont give up.

SKUNKBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
teaching is an art

first off, I'm not a teacher but...

I think teaching requires certain skills all it's own. I know a lot of really good players that couldn't teach someone how to stop a ball. They just cannot put into words their thoughts. You have to know when to use them there 50 cent words and when only the nickle words will work (maybe $1 and 25 cent words now with inflation).

Anyway, it is possible to be a lower level skilled player, know all of the technical skills, not be able to perform them but still be able to explain (teach) them to someone else. Ideally, a teacher should be able to 'do' everything her teaches, but it isn'r necessary sometimes.

Thanks for all of the advice thus far...Ken

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Scott for the reply. I'll look into the possibilities you have suggested.

L8R...Ken
A couple of things wrong with free lessons

The perception of value of what you're teaching.

Sometimes with no investment/value percieved there's no practice from the student. This is a waste of your time and the student. Your students may want to waste their time but I assume you don't. Looks like you enjoy and a source of pride seeing the improvement in your students. If they don't practice they won't improve and nothing to be proud of.

Prices charged do not need to be high, just something. Table time and lunch.

Here's the other problem with no charge lessons.

I'm on the USBA site as a local instructor for 3C and my charges are ZERO. Guess what? Nobody has called me for lessons. Thinking of changing that to some nominal fee so I can promote and revive the game.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Has this changed?
Well, there was an extensive revision of the PBIA certification requirements in the past year or so, along with a complete rewrite/expansion of the Instructors Manual, but the procedure for becoming an instructor remains basically the same. You can see the requirements listed on the PBIA website at: https://playbetterbilliards.com/instruct/become-a-pbia-instructor/

The first level of PBIA instructor training (Recognized) is usually a 3-day course with an Advanced or Master Instructor. If you want to see what my training course looks like, see the outline on http://www.sfbilliards.com/. It is a 3-day course in which only the trainees and I are present. The cost depends on the number of trainees and the travel/room costs.

Does that cover your question?