sterling wave case

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i was interested in this case and i was wondering if people that had it could pitch in and tell me what u think of it?

also where is the best place to get one from quick ship and a great price

ArtOfTheCue

Matt
Silver Member
Sterling Wave Case

They seem like great cases. They've gotten some pretty great reviews on the boards (I've linked a couple below), and they were designed by John Barton, aka JB Cases here on AZB. And although they don't suit my personal taste as well as they could visually, the great reviews convinced me to pick up a different Sterling case that's just my style, after I got confirmation from JB that it's the same internal design as the Wave line.

The website Varney Cues linked to above is the closest thing to a direct distributor they have in North America, I believe. It seems like JB is in fairly regular contact with the guys who run Cuesight.

Here are a couple reviews I came across in my case hunt:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=130713

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=126822

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
I am in need of a couple more cases and these look just about right. One question though: can you put the shafts in with the tips up? I noticed all the pics, and JB's video, have the tips down.

Howard

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
I am in need of a couple more cases and these look just about right. One question though: can you put the shafts in with the tips up? I noticed all the pics, and JB's video, have the tips down.

Howard

Yes...either way.

iowa_player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The dividers at the top look very nice and thick in these cases . Does anyone know if they are that thick all the way to the bottom of the case ?

Thanks ... Larry

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
The dividers at the top look very nice and thick in these cases . Does anyone know if they are that thick all the way to the bottom of the case ?

Thanks ... Larry

They are not. The reason the padding does not extend the length of the case is to prevent any pressure on the shafts and mid-sections of the butts when the case is full. The padding serves to keep all the parts separate at the top and bottom and subsequently in the center as well.

The padding extends about four inches into the top and the same from teh bottom up.

John Barton - Designer of the interiors.

billyjack

Registered Loser
Silver Member
My Wave case review

My Sterling Wave Case Review
Recently, I was fortunate to win a Sterling Wave case from John Barton in his generous contest. All that was asked in return was an honest review, so here it is. I’ve never owned a true custom case. They have all been production models, up to and including an Instroke, so consider my experience when you read my opinions. The model is the Black and Tan embossed style, which is designed for a 3x4 or 2x5 configuration.
Interior features: I’ll start here (and be a little wordy) because IMO that should be the buyer’s primary concern when purchasing a case. The Wave uses a system of firm but flexible soft tubes. The dividers flex easily, but do not compress enough to allow components in adjacent tubes to come in contact. I decided to use a “joint-down” configuration to keep chalk out of the tubes. I use joint protectors 100%, and I made sure my j/p’s had rounded edges so that no tube material would be snagged during insertion or removal. The underside of the lid is covered in the same vinyl material as the outside, so chalk residue from the tips is easily wiped clean. Because of the snug configuration, when fully loaded, you need to remove a butt first before removing a shaft when the joint-down configuration is used. I assume it would be the opposite if you stocked it joints-up. At anything less than a full capacity load, the tubes give enough that you can load or unload without regard to any sequence. Also, for those who stand up assembled cues in their case while playing, no problem, since space is only an issue when fully loaded. I don’t consider using a loading/unloading routine to be a detriment at all. Actually, I feel more comfortable with the snug fit than having components bouncing around in a hard tube.
Unlike many other cases with a zipper lid, the zipper teeth are set lower than the case rim, so you’ll never drag a shaft or butt over the teeth-definitely cool. The interior material is of a texture that is neither slippery nor clingy. If you accidentally pick up the case with the lid open, your shafts and butts won’t come flying out. The interior is equipped with an “organic rebound” system that provides some natural spring action inside the tubes. You can actually give the case a shake when opened, and all the components will rise up slightly. I’ve not found this necessary, as all components are easy to access and grip, even with a full 3x4 load. In that respect it’s better than an Instroke 2x4, since the shafts sit considerably lower than the butts in the Instroke. All in all, the interior is the absolute best I have ever seen in any case, regardless of price. Cues are held snug but not tight in all directions, well padded, and the shell feels fairly stiff, especially for the empty weight of under 4 lbs, so I’m pretty confident of the Wave’s level of protection, though I hope never to test it. Definitely an A+++ grade IMO for the interior.
Exterior features: Despite its large capacity, this case is slim, only 2 5/8” X 5 3/8”, not including pockets or handle. There is no top handle, but the trim size makes it easy to grab from the top. The side handle is a pre-formed soft material, balanced well, definitely the most comfortable handle on any case I’ve had. The Wave is equipped with two rear-mounted shoulder straps for backpack-type use, but I only use one. The shoulder pad is very wide and long, with a crescent shape, and a non-skid texture on the inside. The textured surface grips your shoulder well, even with only one strap. Feels like it would be quite comfortable for a long haul, but long-term carrying is not an issue for me. It’s usually just to and from the car, so the side handle gets the majority of use. Unlike many other cases, there are no rings of webbing around the case at the handle or straps, which I consider to be a glaring sign of a cheap-ass case. Hardware is all plastic, but seems substantial. Pockets are quite large, about 5X8” for the top, and 5X14” for the lower. The pockets are actually curved in profile to match the case body, so they appear slimmer than their actual size. Depth is only about 1 1/8”, not enough for those who carry their own CB, but more than enough room for my stuff. There is no separate provision for a jump butt, but plenty of room. I guess you can’t have everything when you’re trying to keep costs reasonable. The pocket zippers encircle three sides, and are very smooth. Lid zipper is not so smooth, as it binds around the tighter curve of the case sides. A minor annoyance, but hopefully it will loosen up with more use. There are no feet on the bottom, but the material is the same non-slip texture as the inside of the strap.
Appearance: I left this section for last, since it’s purely personal opinion rather than evaluation. The Wave is obviously designed in a modern, non-traditional style, with some attention-grabbing contrast in colors. Frankly it’s a little wild for my AARP-age taste, but might be fine for yours. My black / tan model has a stamped embossed pattern throughout, which makes it look and feel cheaper IMO. A softer-texture, more leather-like vinyl would suit me just fine. The seam where the tan and black materials meet has some pronounced ridges rather than a flat, even seam. Hopefully, this was just an early production flaw that got through QC inspection. Color and material aside, the Wave has a sleek, trim appearance, much more appealing to my eyes than the boxy cases on the market. It’s definitely not your grandfather’s cue case.
Overall: If you made through this lengthy dissertation, you’re likely considering purchase of a Wave. IMO it’s a simple decision. The only “If’ in the deal is the looks. Find a color combination that suits your preferences, and it should be a done deal. With only minor exceptions, the features, protection qualities and ergonomics should put this case at the top of anyone’s shopping list. It’s that good. After only three months I’m spoiled. If I could build my own dream case, I’d take my Wave; replace the exterior vinyl with buffalo-style leather and the plastic hardware with brass. I better start saving up $$ now. My next case is gonna be expensive.
Bill
PS. After some use, I uncovered a defect in the zippers. The "loop" on the zipper slides for the case is not closed, and allowed the zipper pull tab on the case cap to slip out, rendering the zipper inoperative. Fortunately, there are two zippers for the case cap, so the case was still useable. While John Barton graciously offered to replace the case, I elected to simply close the gap with a small drop of epoxy, which has resolved the issue so far.

sygfrid

alaskador
Silver Member
My 1st wave case was a 3x6 Orange-Black model which was part of the early batch that was released mid last year during the BCA Expo. When I got it, I quickly sold my Instroke Buffalo because, feature-wise, it surpasses the Instroke, IMO. It's a lot lighter and more compact than an Instroke of the same capacity (mine was just a few mm ticker than an Instroke 2x4 but has almost the same width). I've gotten it for almost a year now and I still haven't had any problems with it... It's also quite a head-turner if I may add :wink:

Late last year, I needed more room for my other cues, and since I normally take 3 cues with me, I opted for another wave case with the 3x4 configuration. The new wave cases have improved a lot from the 1st batch: pockets are now padded, the lid & the cap shut completely thanks to the lined-protruding part of the case's shell thereby sealing the cues from more moisture & climatic changes (a feature in which most zippered-lid cases fail, imo), the cap and the handle are now padded, the straps are really ergonomic & comfortable, the base still has the non-slip material and but sealed better. Moreover, I tried soaking the pocket with water to see if it's water-proof. Although mine got soaked, perhaps due to the nature of the linen that was used on mine, the water didn't penetrate through the other side of the pocket even after several minutes of trials. The linen rejected the excess water after reaching its soaking point. Perhaps John Barton can confirm if the new Wave Cases are water-proof or water-resistant

For the complete review, kindly search for my posts as I don't have the patience to look for them.

Going back to the question: what do I think of it? For me, the wave case is one the best everyday case available. I've sold all my Instrokes and Predator case and gotten these instead because I'm so happy with their features especially when it comes to cue protection. These are the ones that I'll use until I'm finally ready to place an order for my very own custom case by JB. :thumbup:

I believe http://www.billiardwarehouse.com carries them already