Stick on table for alignment

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I don't think touching table with the cue for aiming/aligning should be legal. Just my $.02 on this. You can't place chalk on the rail as a sighting aid and i see touching cue to table in exact same way.

And yet I have seen plenty of pro's do exactly this.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Rules on CSI site says cue must be in hand. Rules as of 2014.

https://www.playcsipool.com/bcapl-rules.html

OFFICIAL RULES OF CUESPORTS INTERNATIONAL

RULES SECTION 1

GENERAL RULES

Page 23 1-3f. states

You may use your cue, held in your hand or not, to help align a shot. You may use your cue and hands to measure angles and distances for bankshots and kick shots. No other cues, bridges or equipment may be used.(AR p. 79)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.playcsipool.com/bcapl-rules.html

OFFICIAL RULES OF CUESPORTS INTERNATIONAL

RULES SECTION 1

GENERAL RULES

Page 23 1-3f. states

You may use your cue, held in your hand or not, to help align a shot. You may use your cue and hands to measure angles and distances for bankshots and kick shots. No other cues, bridges or equipment may be used.(AR p. 79)
Yep i misread it. Just another reason i don't play league i guess.

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think touching table with the cue for aiming/aligning should be legal. Just my $.02 on this. You can't place chalk on the rail as a sighting aid and i see touching cue to table in exact same way.

As already stated, touching the table with the tip to aid in shot alignment is a common technique. It would only be a problem/foul if the player is leaving a chalk mark on the table that would then be used for aiming. I often lightly touch the table with my tip in aligning the shot and have never seen it leave a visible chalk mark.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
When you pocket balls you're over-lapping two spheres. Worrying about the exact contact point won't help you much. When you address the ball you can't see cp's anyway. When you line-up a shot you're just choosing correct over-lap. Pointing at the line or cp is not much help imo. I just see the over-lap and shoot down that line.

good way to explain it. Once I got it..that the balls really are spheres, my shot making improved.

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buzzard,

I have tried this, and I definitely thought the position it placed me in was good. However, I do not like the procedure for at least a couple of reasons:

1) Given the layout of balls, competition may not allow you to place the stick on the table.

2) This procedure seems jerky and awkward to me, not helpful to getting in "dead stroke" or making a "quiet entry" into the shot as many are advocates for.

Consider as a alternative, setting up the way you normally would, not placing the cue on the table, but sliding your bridge hand down the shaft (NOT UP) as you rotate into the shot. This procedure is widely used by many pros, and gives a very similar (if not) identical body position. See clips of Thorsten Hohlman or Ralf Souquet for video examples.

kollegedave

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
When you pocket balls you're over-lapping two spheres. Worrying about the exact contact point won't help you much. When you address the ball you can't see cp's anyway. When you line-up a shot you're just choosing correct over-lap. Pointing at the line or cp is not much help imo. I just see the over-lap and shoot down that line.
I think you're right that we mostly judge the overlapping spheres, but having other reference points can be helpful. For instance, I visualize the OB contact point while also judging the overlap - "seeing" it gives me more (and more precise) visual info to help identify the correct overlap.

I've always had a facility for visualizing spatial relationships like that, so maybe it's easier for me to "see" the OB contact point than for others - I've never "worried about it"; just glad it's there to help.

pj
chgo

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would never call foul for laying the stick in the table whether measuring a bank or a contact point. Even if it theoretically marks the table.

Because...

1) I’m not trying to get ball in hand from my opponent through nitty rule-based ways

2) Using those kinds of techniques won’t guarantee the shot even if it does help some

3) Players that tend to over rely on those techniques won’t stand up to a player that has the skills ingrained into their natural repertoire.

But if they overdue it to the point of slowing down the game significantly, I may directly address their slow play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When doing 2 rail kicks, I will first use the stick to find the midpoint between the object and cue ball (BCA Legal). If they are within 3 or 4 feet apart, I'll eyeball it.

Then point stick down the midpoint to the pocket between the rails I'm kicking off of. Occasionally laying the stick on the table.

Then do a parallel shift with the stick over the cue ball.

I can do it in a out 10 or 15 seconds. Works for me.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would never call foul for laying the stick in the table whether measuring a bank or a contact point. Even if it theoretically marks the table.

Because...

1) I’m not trying to get ball in hand from my opponent through nitty rule-based ways

2) Using those kinds of techniques won’t guarantee the shot even if it does help some

3) Players that tend to over rely on those techniques won’t stand up to a player that has the skills ingrained into their natural repertoire.

But if they overdue it to the point of slowing down the game significantly, I may directly address their slow play.

if you are that strong player
yes

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you are that strong player

yes

I look at it like this. If you are a player that needs those techniques, you should practice more and get off the crutches. If you’re a player that gets beat by someone using those techniques, then you REALLY need to practice more. And if you’re a player that can’t do either, then maybe you should just let pool be fun and not worry about what silly things your opponent does.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I look at it like this. If you are a player that needs those techniques, you should practice more and get off the crutches. If you’re a player that gets beat by someone using those techniques, then you REALLY need to practice more. And if you’re a player that can’t do either, then maybe you should just let pool be fun and not worry about what silly things your opponent does.

tap tap
excellent post
fwiw
i think its a great way to learn stance and alignment
jmho

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hell yeah. Agree 100%. Kinda reminds me of "Tin Cup" when Roy McAvoy's game goes south and he's got on all those goofy ass golf training aids. Look, i can see maybe doing this in practice sessions while learning how to aim but not in actual play. My $.02, nothing more.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgGsYpOsWTY&feature=youtu.be

Here is a video I just made. 60 seconds, I shoot 5 shots (miss the last one!). No talking, just shooting.

I don't shoot this way anymore, but did for 5 or so years, ending a few years ago. I'm no instructor, or good player, but for me, I feel it helped my overall stance at the time.

Today, the final portion of my stance is exactly the same, but I just automatically get to the same position without pointing the stick. Its second nature.

YMMV:)

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgGsYpOsWTY&feature=youtu.be

Here is a video I just made. 60 seconds, I shoot 5 shots (miss the last one!). No talking, just shooting.

I don't shoot this way anymore, but did for 5 or so years, ending a few years ago. I'm no instructor, or good player, but for me, I feel it helped my overall stance at the time.

Today, the final portion of my stance is exactly the same, but I just automatically get to the same position without pointing the stick. Its second nature.

YMMV:)
Seeing the video, at that pace, if someone didn't want to play you over that or made a big deal, they are probably picky, annoying ass folks not worth playing with. Just my .02cents. Played.folks way slower.

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member

Because...

What's wrong with playing by the rules ?