Still feel like a newbie after 30 years

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I first started playing pool when I was 13 and 30 years later, sometimes I still feel like a kid again.

I have bought and sold countless cues in the last 15 years, and as far as I can recall, I have had very few issues with mushroomed tips. I generally prefer old cues with old tips as they are nice and hard.

Yesterday I shot for a hour or so with a late 80’s Schon I picked up last year, though I have only shot 3 times since COVID started.

It felt a touch dead with any English. Luckily the only other guy in the hall was someone I know and he happened to have a glorified pencil sharpener for tips. A few twists to shave off the mushroom and it felt like completely different cue.

I feel foolish for not having known the dramatic differences in feel with and without mushroomed sides, though I guess I should feel lucky after all these years to never really have had tips mushroom.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I first started playing pool when I was 13 and 30 years later, sometimes I still feel like a kid again.

I have bought and sold countless cues in the last 15 years, and as far as I can recall, I have had very few issues with mushroomed tips. I generally prefer old cues with old tips as they are nice and hard.

Yesterday I shot for a hour or so with a late 80’s Schon I picked up last year, though I have only shot 3 times since COVID started.

It felt a touch dead with any English. Luckily the only other guy in the hall was someone I know and he happened to have a glorified pencil sharpener for tips. A few twists to shave off the mushroom and it felt like completely different cue.

I feel foolish for not having known the dramatic differences in feel with and without mushroomed sides, though I guess I should feel lucky after all these years to never really have had tips mushroom.
Mushrooms are for vegans

Best
Fatboy

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Raymond Ceulemans said “A great tip is more important than a great cue.”
After all, it’s the only thing that touches the cue ball. (hopefully). :)

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I think that a consistent tip leads to a consistent hit which leads to consistent play.

Jeff Livingston

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve never done mushrooms. I was in Amsterdam in 99 and saw lots of varsity’s for sale. Now they are illegal there. Just never tried them. I’m not a drug guy. They sound fun tho lol.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
There was a freak accident down at the corner....

....5 hippies in a van.

Jeff Livingston

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve never done mushrooms. I was in Amsterdam in 99 and saw lots of varsity’s for sale. Now they are illegal there. Just never tried them. I’m not a drug guy. They sound fun tho lol.
Back in my drug days I tried LSD a couple times and did not like it.
I was more into opiates.
I smoked Opium in Viet Nam and that is the king of drugs,nothing like it.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was more into opiates.
My dad said the same in WW2 the opium was amazing. He only did it there. I’ve never done that either. I still have his pipe somewhere. It was long bamboo and little brass rip-I haven’t seen it in 30-35 years.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
My dad said the same in WW2 the opium was amazing. He only did it there. I’ve never done that either. I still have his pipe somewhere. It was long bamboo and little brass rip-I haven’t seen it in 30-35 years.
That seems odd to me, for some reason I always under the impression that opium wasn't really a thing until Vietnam and the hippie times. Where was he stationed??

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I was more into opiates.
Isn't Vietnam part of the Golden Triangle or whatever it was called where all the good opiates where coming from in the 60's???

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn't Vietnam part of the Golden Triangle or whatever it was called where all the good opiates where coming from in the 60's???

The Golden Triangle is the area where the borders of Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar meet at the confluence of the Ruak and Mekong rivers. The name "Golden Triangle"—coined by the CIA —is commonly used more broadly to refer to an area of approximately 950,000 square kilometres (367,000 sq mi) that overlaps the mountains of the three adjacent countries.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That seems odd to me, for some reason I always under the impression that opium wasn't really a thing until Vietnam and the hippie times. Where was he stationed??
A lot of WWII was fought in Asian countries where a lot of Opium was used.
Opium has been smoked and used as a medicine for over a 1000 years.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was in Formosa, best I can recall. He was all over the Asian theater in the Navy. Then a merchant marine for a few more years. I was born 20 years later

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was in Formosa, best I can recall. He was all over the Asian theater in the Navy. Then a merchant marine for a few more years. I was born 20 years later

“Ilha Formosa”

It means “beautiful island” in Portuguese.

Taiwan was known as Formosa for many, many years.

The Chinese characters for the word "taiwan" mean "terraced bay" or "beach."

I lived in Taiwan (Formosa) for three years back in the 70s and I still travel back there every couple of years.