Still haven't hit a ball with a carbon fiber shaft.

Geosnookery

If anyone on this thread feels like I'm criticizing CF shaft/cues, I apologize. I have zero problems with the shafts and the technology that goes into them. What I was mostly getting at is that I've only seen a small smattering of them in the places I play and I'm not about to go up to one of these people and ask if I can hit a few balls with theirs. I would certainly welcome the chance if someone offered. I would certainly like the opportunity of trying one before I die. Like cannabis, I could never criticize it until I tried it. 🤪 Haven't used any weed in over 30 years, but in my opinion, people shouldn't make hasty criticisms of things they have no experience with.

Maniac
It’s one of the reasons I like playing with a variety of mature folks in non affiliated leagues. Nobody hesitates to ask to try a cue . Funniest is when they try my Snooker cue and miscue the first couple of times trying to hit the cueball.
I’ve never used weed or even smoked a cigarette. I’ll never known their magical wonders when I depart from this world. Then again, it’ll be at age 99 running into a Grizzly on my mountain bike.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I got one for my three cushion cue months ago and put a few hours into it before deciding I don't like it half as much as my wood shaft. Wish I'd spent the money on something else.

I guess I CAN get used to it, but there was hardly anything magical about it.
Bring shaft and cue next time you are in the neighborhood please. Just want to see what it feels like.

Hu

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just recently bought a new Revo fatty. I broke the ferrule on my very old 314-2. I thought that I was going to miss it. Boy was I wrong.

I love it and will never go back to a thin shaft. I know that shaft diameter should not effect spin but this fatter shaft is much more forgiving to play with.

The deflection is very low. It took a few days to adjust to it. I had to compensate for swerve not deflection. Bridge length changed the swerve/ deflection balance point.

Lastly, the smooth shaft is great. No more glove. I have very sweaty sticky hands. Wipe it with alcohol before playing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
I had no real interest in a CF shaft. Hit a few shots with a friend's REVO a couple times and had to admit it was a better mousetrap than my one piece maple shaft. Just for dollars I bought a Cynergy shaft figuring I wouldn't lose too much when I sent it down the road if I didn't like it. No need to index it, it isn't boingy which had been my biggest fear about CF, and it transfers energy better than my maple shaft, I do less work for the same results.

I let many a new red wagon pass by and watched others play with them before moving on. Barring a major surprise I will be playing with a CF shaft for the rest of my life. When I was stock car racing I didn't jump on every new toy but when something was better I gave away my old component. My dad and I were partners in business and my car was parked there so he often saw me giving away things I had paid hard cash for. He objected to this practice. Like I told him though, no way was I going back to something that was inferior. I'll keep my wooden shaft for back-up if I lose a tip and may use it for a break shaft. I may play with it a little, not much though, I have to admit it isn't the equal of the CF shaft. That maple shaft was turned by me from one of my blanks and I have used it for years so I don't lightly say it is inferior. However, I can't dodge what I see for myself. For me CF is distinctly better.

Hu

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
I bought a custom cue a year and a half ago, its a 60" cue with a 30 1/2" shaft. That shaft vibrated like a tuning fork whenever i hit off center. I hated it.
Bought a pechauer rogue 30" shaft a month ago, and I love it! Nice firm, woodlike hit, good energy transfer. Still has some deflection but much less than my old shaft. Takes a little getting used to but I think this will be the last shaft I buy.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Add me to the list of non hitters, if I playing good it not the tool, it just a day I am doing things right.

Pool, Golf, Tennis, or any other sport is not about the equiptment. It about the person playing skill.

If you great at any game, equment might give you an edge. If you suck at say Golf, have the same Club Set as Tiger, or Phill, the tools will not make you play at their level.

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I might try a carbon shaft but haven't yet. I have also for now gone back to a regular maple shaft. My problem is not missing shots or not executing the english I want to impart, it's not knowing all of the subtleties of position play and not being able to move the ball where I want it to go every time. That's up to me not my shaft.

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've played with one a bit and the hit is similar to the LD shafts I use. I wouldn't have an issue switching over to one. At the moment, they're too expensive and I've got enough tied up in wood. So, really no reason to change.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
I've played with one a bit and the hit is similar to the LD shafts I use. I wouldn't have an issue switching over to one. At the moment, they're too expensive and I've got enough tied up in wood. So, really no reason to change.

Predator claimed a three percent advantage over wood awhile back I believe. I assume that is compared to their best wood. Three percent can seem little or huge. Those already playing with a good low deflection shaft will see little improvement. Someone playing with plain maple and a heavy ferrule may see a big improvement. There are several things that I like about the CF shaft that will keep me using them. I lost my balance and managed to put three deep dents in my wooden shaft. My fault but still annoying. The CF will mostly eat up such abuse but admittedly when it does fail it will probably be ready for the round file.

Hu

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I can say that I've never hit with one.

Even out here in the wilderness, there are quite a few folks that have them. Perhaps someday I'll have a try with one. I don't have any play-money to go buying new pool gear currently, so it's not on my horizon, regardless.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I should receive my Cynergy tomorrow.

I only play with Gullassy SPTX shafts, so this should be an adventure.o_O

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got my first a few weeks ago but haven't spent any time yet with it. If it doesn't blow me away I won't keep it. Other than a dozen guest cues, I don't hang onto more than a few players and a break cue.

Sent from the future.
I have too much $ invested in them now to turn back, so I have to convince myself they are worth it!