Stolen cue

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had a well known pool player borrow a valuable cue from me to play a big money game. This happened in my poolroom. He won the money and decided he liked the cue so much he would take it with him. I was not there when the game ended and only found out he took the cue the next day. By then he was home 400 miles away. I called him and asked him why he took my cue (a JW). He said he just forgot. I told him he could return it today or I was coming up there to retrieve it and that would cost him extra, a lot extra. He sent the cue back by Express Mail the next day. I was pissed!

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Unfortunately this is probably one of these situations I don't think you will possibly come out as a winner. You pretty much need to prove that you lent it to this person with the intentions of selling it. Unless you have some paperwork or maybe copies of text messages between you too. It's he said she said crap. Damn freaking sucks for you.

If i was the opposing party, I would come back with how do i not know they didn't pay you? Or So and So had this for years. If i was them this is the stuff that i would be saying.
Any lawyer would establish that without proof of sale, it wasn't purchased.

If OP has proof of purchase, they own it

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
forget what they said. if you have proof you owned it and text messages claiming that from the dead guy you are entitled to it and owuld win in court.

and no way is it scummy to try and get what you own back from whoever has it.

at this point it is a civil case so no cops will get involved. except if you know one who will mediate it for you.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see anything wrong in inquiring about a cue that appears to be somewhat valuable. A much smaller amount probably would just forget about it.
Last spring, a very good friend of mine asked me to get a map chip for one of his fishing locators as I get really good pricing on those things. Picked it up for him one week, and called him on a Sunday to let him know that it cost me $90, and maybe, as we lived about two hours apart, we could meet the following week for lunch, and I would bring the chip. I was leaving for our condo the next day for the week, and we said we would stay in touch as to when we could get together. Well, sadly, I got a call the next afternoon that my friend had drowned that morning, out fishing by himself. Still think about him every day, we were great friends, his wife was a great friend. Never did mention the map chip to her, even though she probably would have wanted me to.

tomatoshooter

I don't see anything wrong in inquiring about a cue that appears to be somewhat valuable. A much smaller amount probably would just forget about it.
Last spring, a very good friend of mine asked me to get a map chip for one of his fishing locators as I get really good pricing on those things. Picked it up for him one week, and called him on a Sunday to let him know that it cost me $90, and maybe, as we lived about two hours apart, we could meet the following week for lunch, and I would bring the chip. I was leaving for our condo the next day for the week, and we said we would stay in touch as to when we could get together. Well, sadly, I got a call the next afternoon that my friend had drowned that morning, out fishing by himself. Still think about him every day, we were great friends, his wife was a great friend. Never did mention the map chip to her, even though she probably would have wanted me to.
Yeah, I'm not sure what my threshold is for collecting from an estate. A custom cue or personal item is certainly above the threshold. Cash? I require a recent physical from a doctor before I loan money.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Lets think of it another way. Lets assume the OP legitimately loaned the cue under the understanding that the deceased would buy. Why can he not get his property back? If I died I'm sure the bank would not forgive my mortgage no matter how small or how good a customer I was. Ditto with Visa or Mastercard.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Before I loan, I consider the loan to own philosophy of some. If I don't ask for it back within 30 days it's theirs.🤷
Ronnie Allen once asked me for a $40 loan. I told him I don't loan, especially to players. So this $40 is a gift. One week later he asked for another Loan......" NO!!!! I'm not a groupie or Sucker." Was my reply

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Lets think of it another way. Lets assume the OP legitimately loaned the cue under the understanding that the deceased would buy. Why can he not get his property back? If I died I'm sure the bank would not forgive my mortgage no matter how small or how good a customer I was. Ditto with Visa or Mastercard.
It comes down to proof of ownership. If OP has proof of purchase, and the estate can't prove they/he bought it, it has to be returned.

If it disappeared between then and now, good luck

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think its ok to ask depending on how much time has gone by since his passing. if its 6mos or longer i don't have a problem asking about it. if they don't have it i wouldn't worry about. you'll spend more than what its worth chasing it down.

TrxR

The mortgage or credit card isn't totally the same as some of them can be insured so that if you pass away they are forgiven, but I get your point.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two pool players agreeing to a written loan agreement? Yeah right. My point is there's no real way to prove it otherwise. IMO this guy just needs to walk from this if the family doesn't have it.