Storing cue between use

over60pirate

Registered
After recently buying a new house with room for a real table, and scoring an Olhausen table, I just bought my first decent cue. (2nd hand but in nice shape) It's a Mace, by Rick Howard.

I usually shoot a few racks in the morning. A few racks during the day. (I'm retired) And 2-5 racks in the evening.

In the past, I have left the cue on the table. At night I cover the table. I'm in SW Florida, and this time of year, the AC is always on. 77 - 78 degrees, and 52-62% humidity.

I have been using the table and leaving my old cue on the table for 7 months now, with no problems. But with the Mace, I want to be sure I take care of it.

I realize, ideally putting the cue in it's case would be the best, but it would hinder the spontaneous, shooting a rack of balls.

What should I do with the cue, during the day, and over nite?

jb1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always put my cues in their cases when I'm not using them, no matter what. Just my opinion of course.

over60pirate

Registered
I just hate to have to screw the cue together, sometimes, 5 - 10 times a day. Maybe I should make a "House case" to hold the assembled cue!
Not sure if there is a benefit over leaving it on the table with a cloth cover.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
I don't think you will have any problems leaving the cue on the table hours at a time. If you are going to be away for days. Put it in a case. JMO!

Larry

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never had any problem with a wall rack. Have left mine on the wall for years. I am like you, don't want to put them together and take them apart every time I run downstairs to shoot some. Only thing you have to worry about is if children come around (or if you have some), they will reach and get the cues.

over60pirate

Registered
I have never had any problem with a wall rack. Have left mine on the wall for years. I am like you, don't want to put them together and take them apart every time I run downstairs to shoot some. Only thing you have to worry about is if children come around (or if you have some), they will reach and get the cues.

Yeah, kids can get into everything.
Back around 1962 I played a lot on a friends, dad's table. It's a shame, we didn't just play pool on it!
"Let's set up the trains on the table. Let's see if we can make the train derail on the table. Let's have a dart fight around the table"
Thats when we found out the balls were made of clay! Dart chip.
Glad we didn't damage the Ivory cue ball.
At least it was the table owners son, who started the dart fight and hit the ball.
I'm surprised his dad didn't kill him.
It was a beautiful, antique table, when he bought it.

Thanks for all the info.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over60pirate, your post says you keep the house at 77-78...if you like that fine but it is rather warm. I used to display many of my cues in two racks but was cautioned by a very knowledgeable hi end dealer that it is better to store them. Ever since then all my cues are cased and stored.
There are NO windows in my house that open...all are permently closed by design. Only the front door and sliders open but are closed after use so as to not let humidity in...Piano, Pool Table, silver etc. Nothing good can happed in Florida letting anything from the outside in a home.
I do not think it a good idea to leave your cue laying on the table. I would recommend a good tight case, like a Ron Thomas, which has a great seal and keep the case and cue upright. All mine are cased and upright or in my hands.

Good luck,
Phil

rdwell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
storage

I have heard it both ways but I was told if I store them upright and without a bunch of light and my humidity at the rack is 52 that I am fine. As my avatar shows I keep the whole rack of Szamboti's handy as I normally hit a different one every night. I think light and humidity are the important issues.