Straight Pool Question

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The official World Standardized Rules now specify that if a standard triangle is not used for racking, one must be used to draw the triangle outline to determine in/out at 14.1. This is a recent change -- within the last 8 years?
Oh, nice, glad they thought of that with the popularity of templates.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How did you go about placing them accurately?
Saturated posted a pic. The permarack template is the big white sheet with the holes. That's what you use to place the donuts.

The pic Saturated posted:
perma-rack.jpg

Is the outline the outside of the balls or the outside of a rack? The thickness of a rack and the extra space make a difference in whether the break ball is outside the rack or inside.
Outside the rack. I use my thick-walled plastic rack to mark the table, and still use it to rack as it's faster than placing the balls individually.

This guy:
51FcXxVjb4L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
That, or something extremely similar is the standard issue at my local room. Oddly enough my personal wooden rack at home is thicker. It also has a ton of space below the racked balls.

I assume the triangles are built that way for sake of the correct outline around the 14.1 balls. I always wondered why the rules state that I need additional distance from the rack if the break ball is below the rack. <<--- yes I'm being very facetious ;)

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saturated posted a pic. The permarack template is the big white sheet with the holes. That's what you use to place the donuts.

The pic Saturated posted:
View attachment 636601

Outside the rack. I use my thick-walled plastic rack to mark the table, and still use it to rack as it's faster than placing the balls individually.

This guy:
View attachment 636604
I wonder is Shaw's 714 table was similarly marked to determine whether a ball was outside the rack.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wonder is Shaw's 714 table was similarly marked to determine whether a ball was outside the rack.
The earlier attempts at The Legends of Pocket Billiards event did not have the triangle marked, I believe. By the time of Jayson's record run, the triangle was marked with a black outline.

In Jayson's case, the marking was irrelevant since there was no break ball within a ball diameter of the rack during the run. Jayson moved the break ball into position on about half of the racks. In some racks he moved the ball two or three times. He did not accept break balls that were close to the rack that most players would have gone with. o_O

There was only one back-of-the-rack break shot and no side pocket break shots in the run. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else with that kind of control.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The earlier attempts at The Legends of Pocket Billiards event did not have the triangle marked, I believe. By the time of Jayson's record run, the triangle was marked with a black outline.

In Jayson's case, the marking was irrelevant since there was no break ball within a ball diameter of the rack during the run. Jayson moved the break ball into position on about half of the racks. In some racks he moved the ball two or three times. He did not accept break balls that were close to the rack that most players would have gone with. o_O

There was only one back-of-the-rack break shot and no side pocket break shots in the run. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else with that kind of control.
That's cool.