straight pool tour with earl- ?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
from fb:

Thank you Denis Rillo for coming all the way from Canada to take some lessons and playing some straight pool with me .You did a great job.
Been thinking alot about straight pool and would like to get some sponsors and backers to start a tour.Anybody interested pm me,or leave your number. Let's bring back one of the greatest games ever in pool.EARL

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Been thinking alot about straight pool and would like to get some sponsors and backers to start a tour.Anybody interested pm me,or leave your number. Let's bring back one of the greatest games ever in pool.EARL
Have you thought about supporting the current premier 14.1 event in the US?

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not for nothing, but this renaissance that earl is going on about needs to not be taken seriously by anyone. All of a sudden, the guy loves straight pool?

FunChamp

Not for nothing, but this renaissance that earl is going on about needs to not be taken seriously by anyone. All of a sudden, the guy loves straight pool?
I don't see why not. Depends on individual opinion. Personally I would like to see 9 ball diminish. It's the easiest of all the games in my opinion. 9 ball has dominated pool for over 30 years. Gotten very boring. 14:1 would be a nice return to a much harder game.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see why not. Depends on individual opinion. Personally I would like to see 9 ball diminish. It's the easiest of all the games in my opinion. 9 ball has dominated pool for over 30 years. Gotten very boring. 14:1 would be a nice return to a much harder game.
yeah, unfortunately that is not going to happen because matchroom pool is the biggest promoter for the game right now and they are all in on 9 ball.

23DenaliBDE

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
yeah, unfortunately that is not going to happen because matchroom pool is the biggest promoter for the game right now and they are all in on 9 ball.
And 9 ball captures everyone’s attention because I know I can play someone better than me and have a legitimate shot to win if I execute good safeties and can make an early 9. It’s also still a fair game because the more games we play it guarantees the best player ultimately wins. You could outlaw jumps and anger 99% of players and 9 ball would still dominate straight pool in popularity

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The same optimistic psychology that encourages roulette players to bet on single numbers, likely inspires bangers to ‘ride the nine’ at every opportunity. Is there any other pro game where slop counts after the break?

23DenaliBDE

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
The same optimistic psychology that encourages roulette players to bet on single numbers, likely inspires bangers to ‘ride the nine’ at every opportunity. Is there any other pro game where slop counts after the break?
I would never count on that though. It’s just a fact I would throw down a small amount of money on myself against anyone as long as I got the break. 1 game only. It’s a game where you can win by executing 1 good shot. My odds are not good and I wouldn’t bet much, but I’ve got a chance. Every additional game my odds go down and quickly hit the mathematical equivalent of 0 lol

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Accomplished players, in one-on-one/heads-up 9-ball, seldom ride-the-nine, as a simple runout is likely more certain. In multiple-handed 5&9 ring games though, where very large exponential scores are possible by re-spotting money balls made out-of-rotation, the single-#/roulette psychology often comes into play.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yes,
The same optimistic psychology that encourages roulette players to bet on single numbers, likely inspires bangers to ‘ride the nine’ at every opportunity. Is there any other pro game where slop counts after the break
Yes, it's called snooker, which, like 9ball, is not a call shot game.

snookered_again

from my rather inexperienced perspective I find I enjoy snooker because of all the deeper level thinking involved. I find 9 ball to be more about the shots than changing the "master plan" I especially find it hard to wrap my head around why a bunch of really experienced players would even want to play on tiny 7' diamond tables with giant pockets. sure even a warped table with dead cushions can be a challenging and fair game. I know the reasoning is behind the logistics of moving a bunch of tables frequently for tournaments and such, and the little ones are one piece so they don't have the setup time a bigger table does. from my perspective its like having a shooting match where there are a bunch of riflemen and they give them all a BB gun, Sure the better shots will do better still, but are they really satisfied with that?

That said, I am aware that better players will analyze the table differently than I can and map out sequences to a much further extent than I'm able to. I can sometimes win even a much better player at 9 ball, with snooker I just can't even hope to beat a player with a lot more experience.. It's still fun to try to ;-)

Reactions: sjm

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to mention, compensating for the drift inherent in directional cloth. Likely much like competing against a golfer on his home course.

snookered_again

Not to mention, compensating for the drift inherent in directional cloth. Likely much like competing against a golfer on his home course.
I guess that is similar to entering a small town bar and being challenged to a game on a table they are all used to and have learned to compensate for warp, dead cushions etc, That would be a home advantage and perhaps not a uncommon situation.