Straighten your shafts easy with this tool

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
By pulling down on the shaft it is applying pressure and tightening the grain on the high side and stretching the low side. Even though the hook is smooth it will leave compression marks the length of the shaft. however they will come out with a shaft recondition. The trick is to roll the shaft and find where exactly the pressure should be applied. its not hard just look at the light under the cue and find the highest point. make sure that that side stays up as you pull it to the rail and then apply pressure strait down as you pull and push the tool. work a little at a time untill your familiar with the tool. Shafts with S curves are much more difficult but with some patiants you can make them playable again

Arching a cue shaft opposite an existing arch is a technique as old as warped shafts themselves. We all know it helps and why.
Doing some damage to the shaft at the same time is indeed a new idea for many of us. It is also completely Unnecessary.
I believe a small concave wheel that rolls down the shaft (Derlin might work well) would eliminate the friction and thus do no flattening or marring. This would also eliminate the need to sand the shaft down afterward. So that if it was in good condition otherwise it would still be ready to use.

It is a new approach to an old fix but in it's current form leaves much room for improvements in my opinion.

Last edited:

butterflycues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaft tool

With out watching the vidio or reading all these posts. I want to tell you that this tool and method works. I have been using one for about a year and a half and have straightened dozens of shafts and they have all stayed straight but a couple. If the shaft has a big warp in may leave a light flat spot on the shaft but not one that is bothersome to play with. The only way you really feel it is when you have it in the lathe working on it. After the shaft sets for a few days and takes a set where you put it straight then you can clean the shaft without bringing back the warp. Usually shafts just take a warp from the climate that you put it in. Brandon showed me this a couple years ago and it has been a life saver ever since. Even if it left a small mark on the shaft for a while, what is worse the mark or a warped shaft. It is no good the way it is, so why not give it a shot. Think of all the good shafts we have tossed away over the years. Butterfly cues.

butterflycues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shaft

It works guys, with proper technique. What I'm curious about is how the straightness holds up over time.

You should be able to check that on that old Joss shaft that Andy brought me at the Derby. Check it and see if it is still straight. Butterflycues, (Pat)

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
With out watching the vidio or reading all these posts. I want to tell you that this tool and method works. I have been using one for about a year and a half and have straightened dozens of shafts and they have all stayed straight but a couple. If the shaft has a big warp in may leave a light flat spot on the shaft but not one that is bothersome to play with. The only way you really feel it is when you have it in the lathe working on it. After the shaft sets for a few days and takes a set where you put it straight then you can clean the shaft without bringing back the warp. Usually shafts just take a warp from the climate that you put it in. Brandon showed me this a couple years ago and it has been a life saver ever since. Even if it left a small mark on the shaft for a while, what is worse the mark or a warped shaft. It is no good the way it is, so why not give it a shot. Think of all the good shafts we have tossed away over the years. Butterfly cues.

Not many warped but playable shafts are "thrown away" they are quite often replaced with new ones and become the second shaft with a "taper roll"

I have had excellent success taking an arch out of shafts over the years. I use the exact same principles. I don't put a flat spot in the length of the shaft or create a need for further servicing to repair any new damage.

It is the simplest most obvious concept on earth to bend it back opposite the warp in order to relieve the stress or stretch the fibers on the shortened side.

I don't think any one is saying it won't effectively do that job. I think the real question or cause of alarm is; Why drag a steel bar down a cue shaft to do the bending?, knowing full well that it will flatten the wood and probably scratch it as well? when it is simply not necessary.

Again, it's not weather the bending is effective, it's the abrasive method drawing attention to this particular method.

jacobyguy

Matt
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
This tool does not scratch gouge or cut the wood of the shaft. i do believe that it is the compression of the wood by the tool that makes it so effective. Lets face it we all have tried bending shafts opposite of the warp and even setting books or whatever to hold a shaft flat for a period of time just to find out that its a little better but not straight. This on the other hand will straighten a shaft and it will do it as quickly as i showed in the video.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
This tool does not scratch gouge or cut the wood of the shaft. i do believe that it is the compression of the wood by the tool that makes it so effective. Lets face it we all have tried bending shafts opposite of the warp and even setting books or whatever to hold a shaft flat for a period of time just to find out that its a little better but not straight. This on the other hand will straighten a shaft and it will do it as quickly as i showed in the video.

I will buy one. I will give it a chance, and I am very anxious to try it out! I have a Meucci shaft that will be a great test subject.

I'll order it in the morning.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
I will buy one. I will give it a chance, and I am very anxious to try it out! I have a Meucci shaft that will be a great test subject.

I'll order it in the morning.

Jayman, I doubt anybody was a bigger skeptic when seeing this contraption than I was. In Pat Diveney's hands, this tool works and didn't leave any obvious flattening or dents. Looks like it will take a little practice to get the technique down.

Last edited:

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
straight

I used to shoot a lot of archery using wooden arrows. In archery there is roller tool that more or less does the same thing. I think the hook looks easier to use than the roller I used on arrows. Should work with a little practice.

butterflycues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shafts

Not many warped but playable shafts are "thrown away" they are quite often replaced with new ones and become the second shaft with a "taper roll"

I have had excellent success taking an arch out of shafts over the years. I use the exact same principles. I don't put a flat spot in the length of the shaft or create a need for further servicing to repair any new damage.

It is the simplest most obvious concept on earth to bend it back opposite the warp in order to relieve the stress or stretch the fibers on the shortened side.

I don't think any one is saying it won't effectively do that job. I think the real question or cause of alarm is; Why drag a steel bar down a cue shaft to do the bending?, knowing full well that it will flatten the wood and probably scratch it as well? when it is simply not necessary.

Again, it's not weather the bending is effective, it's the abrasive method drawing attention to this particular method.

I don't think that how it works or if it works is the issue. I think the issue is that you just want to argue that you are right. Ok you are right. Now you can put it to rest. This is why I don't ever participate in these discustions. People just want to argue. Butterflycues

bklynjava

I use PK...UFIGUREITOUT
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Straighten my shaft tool...

I was expecting to see something like this.
Sexy-Hot-Girl-Photoshoot-HD-Wallpaper.jpg

Jeff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
What concerns me a little is that someone will think it's ok to sell a cue with a crook that has been straightened with this.

Two weeks into playing with the cue you bought, the shaft reverts back to it's old crooked self, and of course the seller will be completely surprised.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I don't think that how it works or if it works is the issue. I think the issue is that you just want to argue that you are right. Ok you are right. Now you can put it to rest. This is why I don't ever participate in these discustions. People just want to argue. Butterflycues

Did you watch the video? did you see any potential for flattening the side of a shaft? (I Did)
Did you actually read my post that you quoted? (I Did)
Or any others where i mentioned ways that work quite well but not do that? I will guess you probably didn't. Otherwise you may have understood that it was a conversation.
I also said I will give it a try. and I will share my experience good or bad.

And yes I am skeptical based on my observations and many years of working with wood.

You, However are doing exactly what you accused me of doing. But Why?

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does using a sanding sealer afterwards help keep its shape longer, I wonder?

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use a good carnauba wax as you would after any recondition

Thanks.

I was watching Greido (sp?) at the Iowa VNEA tourney this past weekend do his shaft work.
He put on a liquid right after sanding that I assumed was a sealer and then after lightly sanding that,
he applied something from a small can, that I assumed was a wax.

Does that sound right? Is the sealer necessary, do you think?

Jeff Livingston