Strange Night to remember.

The King

Here's Jimbo....
Silver Member
Wow I know it is not a funny situation but your wife had to feel flattered when you asked if they were after the pizza ... I was reading along kind of intense but had to laugh at that part of it .. Even though it was a very serious situation... Personally I think you did the right thing and I'm glad you and yours made it away unharmed, it is a crazy world out these and you never know these days ...

Tommyd1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some good answers

Hu,

Your quote:

I just think of someone trying to harm me or mine as an attacker and my purpose is only to stop the attack. It is not my concern what happens to the attacker. I'm not trying to harm or kill them, I am trying to prevent harm to me and mine.

Is exactly right.

When you use a firearm as a last defense in a situation, you are only shooting to, STOP THE THREAT !!! And your life was in imminent danger.

And remember all, shot placement is the key ;)

Tommyd1

Derek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Health and safety questions aside, how did that milkdud play? I'm about ready to make my own.

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Derek said:
Health and safety questions aside, how did that milkdud play? I'm about ready to make my own.

DEADLY ! never miscued once unlike I did with a normal EM. to describe how it exactly felt, it's like hitting hard with a soft feel. got 2 installed actually. I use the other cue for breaking and you'd be satisfied with the results (just be careful of hitting the CB below as it would carry some mustard in it). but the other cue for playing was a sight to behold. I was more confident with my draw going much much lower than I had in the past (this time on a regular basis). as for control, the CB went where I was intending it to be.

I know that some instructors would debate that it is all about mechanics (which is true), but the tip is also a factor to make your life easier.

here is a pic of the EM (MD).
tip.jpg

Goodluck on making your first milkdud Derek and hope you enjoy it as much as most of us here. :smile:

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommyd1 said:
Hu,

Your quote:

I just think of someone trying to harm me or mine as an attacker and my purpose is only to stop the attack. It is not my concern what happens to the attacker. I'm not trying to harm or kill them, I am trying to prevent harm to me and mine.

Is exactly right.

When you use a firearm as a last defense in a situation, you are only shooting to, STOP THE THREAT !!! And your life was in imminent danger.

And remember all, shot placement is the key ;)

Tommyd1

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Tap, tap....

And you need to know that if you miss, that bullet may hit someone elses child, mother, father.... a block, or a mile or two away. Can you live with that? Be prepared for all the consequences....and be safe.

td

Tom M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommyd1 said:
Monkey Boy,

You don't mention what state or city you live in or the time of day that this incident happened. Although I would probably guess the evening sometime.

You mention that you crossed the street to where a couple of people were sitting, so I would imagine it wasn't to bad of an area.

Number one, you should always be aware of your surroundings and try to avoid putting yourself at risk.

As far as devices for protection, nothing beats a handgun for personal protection.

Now with most of the states having some sort of CCW laws for the honest citizen, handguns have become very popular.

I must say that if you do decide to carry a weapon such as a handgun, you have to put in the time and effort not only to decide which weapon suites your situation but also in the actual use of it.

You must become proficient with it.

There are many sources available to research and many sources for actual training.

You must also take into consideration are there going to be kids in the home, etc. ( Safety )

I'm a firm believer in that people should be able to protect themselves, but I can't stress training, training and more training if that's the route you want to go.

It's ( being armed is a very big responsibility ) that cannot be taken lightly.

You will have to learn the laws the govern the use of a firearm by a citizen for their self protection or that of a loved one.

I've been a Firearms Instructor for Police only for a number of years and I've been a member of different shooting clubs throughout these years. I can say that I've never met a nicer bunch of people. That's the other good thing if you decide to go the firearms route, you'll not only become proficient if you do it right and join a club but also have a great time. :D

Mace and other products I really don't recommend for personnel protection, you wouldn't want these devices in a deadly encounter.

And that is really what I'm talking about ...a deadly encounter. It can happen in any city, suburb or location at any time.

But as I said, be aware of your surroundings, while walking, driving even whats going on in and around your neighborhood. Thats the best advise I can give.

Tommyd1 ;)

Great advice! I especially agree with your points about proficiency. That's one of the main reasons I have dismissed the idea of getting permitted myself. I concluded that for the weapon I'm carrying to be an effective means of protection, the following would have to be true:

1 - I am comfortable and proficient "operating" the weapon (you noted this in your post).
2 - I am prepared mentally and through additional training to shoot to kill in a high-stress situation (read "adrenalin causing havoc with my senses and reactions)
3 - I am proficient with the above in a "multiple target" scenario (which could have evolved in the OP's situation if things went bad).

I'm interested in your comments on the above. I decided not to pursue a permit because I feel that achieving and maintaining that level of proficiency would take a huge commitment, and that without that proficiency I have no business carrying.

Tom M

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Reminds me of when I was right out of high school in 1986...I was delivering pizza for Dominos as a night job and got your standard routine calls to deliver a pizza to an apartment complex.

You always have your guard up in an apartment complex with the dark cubby hole doorways that you can't see into.

There was two times where I think I would have been robbed had I went in to knock on the door.

One time for sure and I may have been robbed anyway if it were not for some blind luck.... The lights were off (not uncommon) but when I approached I noticed the window had no shade and the apartment was empty...

I did an about face and as I kept looking over my shoulder I saw two thug looking guys come out from that doorway and start to follow me from about 30 feet...I was parked in the back of the complex...I was not running, but I was walking rather quickly....As luck would have it as I came out from between the buildings that led to the parking lot a patrole car happend to be cruising through the parking lot...As I looked back the two guys tuned around and "vanished" into thin air.

I flagged the cop down and told him what I thought was up..I showed him the delivery apartment number on the label.......They got out and walked around flashing lights in the bushes and over by the empty apartment but did not find anyone.

I told the two cops..."hey you want a free pizza"...I gave one of the pizzas to the two cops and went back to the store and had me a slice of the other pizza....BTW...The phone number was bogus.

Tom M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hail Mary Shot said:
I was contemplating about that question. would I feel guilt if I killed someone? I had used and shoot with some firearms (not mine) before but never used them to shoot a person yet. I'm quite a bit of a sensitive person but I would not hesitate to turn off that switch if it's a matter of life and death. it's either me, persons that are close to me or them (criminals). if I had a gun with me and had us cornered, I believe I would had thought of them as a flock of seagulls about to be shot down.

We all want to believe that. In my philosophy, I hope I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over killing someone who threatened my life or that of a loved one. But, reality is not that way. No matter how justified the action may be, it seems that killing a human is a very traumatic experience for most folks.

An aquaintance of mine killed a crackhead (or the 1980's version of a crackhead) who had broken in and had a handgun pointed at his father. My friend even gave the guy a chance to back down (more chance than he deserved IMO) before shooting him. There was very little police investigation and there were no legal repercussions, by the way. The facts were pretty obvious.

In my opinion he's a hero and saved his father's life, but he was permanently scarred by the event. He was about 20 at the time and to this day has serious life struggles that I attribute to the trauma.

Tom

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Hail Mary Shot said:
I know that some instructors would debate that it is all about mechanics (which is true), but the tip is also a factor to make your life easier.

A tip can minimize some stroke errors.
But wouldn't it be better to correct the stroke than compensate with equipment?

Tommyd1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:eek: Tom,

I'm really tired after getting home from work today. So I won't to long winded.

You bring up some good points that I will address maybe more in the near future.

To become really proficient with a firearm ( handgun ) is really not that hard. You just need a good instructer to explain the principles in a way that you understand.

You need to start out slow, Good sight picture, nice smooth trigger control and follow through. Follow through is what most people don't understand.

Dry Firing.......................the best practice in the world :D :D

If your really interested in knowing if you should carry or not carry, PM me and I'll give you my office number.

I'd be glad to talk to you about the subject ;)

PS: I wish shooting pool was as easy as shooting a handgun fast and accurately :eek:

Tommyd1

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gotta agree!

Tommyd1 said:
:eek:

PS: I wish shooting pool was as easy as shooting a handgun fast and accurately :eek:

Tommyd1

Gotta agree, I'm a master class pistol competitor and hold a few local records. I'm not rated nearly so highly with a cue stick although I have used one on a noggin a time or two!

Hu

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:
Gotta agree, I'm a master class pistol competitor and hold a few local records. I'm not rated nearly so highly with a cue stick although I have used one on a noggin a time or two!

Hu

If anything, a cue in a case would make for a big whack upside [name your favorite body part].

I've always been poised to use this equipment for my defense.

Barbara

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
luckily I'm into just playing cues

Luckily my cues aren't fancy. If I really don't like a deal such as I had to park where I didn't really want to at a tournament and I'm leaving in the wee hours I leave my cue butt out but laying alongside the case. It isn't real obvious but I can go to using it like a billy club in a hurry. The thing to know is that the ends work better than using it like a baseball bat.

In a place I usually reach for a house cue and try to go with a nice curving blow so I put some english on somebody when I hit them. WOW, talking about it I realize it has been decades since I had to use a pool cue. My last physical altercation dates to the mid-eighties. Must be time to start taking Geritol!

Hu

Barbara said:
If anything, a cue in a case would make for a big whack upside [name your favorite body part].

I've always been poised to use this equipment for my defense.

Barbara

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
Hu,

My only point is that when I was out playing in leagues and leaving by myself, I was always aware of my surroundings and ready to use my cue case to whack anyone who maybe wanted a piece of my possessions.

Much like holding my keys through my knuckles through a parking lot when I'm shopping.

Just defense measures.

Barbara<~~5'11", but doesn't take a chance...

ShootingArts said:
Luckily my cues aren't fancy. If I really don't like a deal such as I had to park where I didn't really want to at a tournament and I'm leaving in the wee hours I leave my cue butt out but laying alongside the case. It isn't real obvious but I can go to using it like a billy club in a hurry. The thing to know is that the ends work better than using it like a baseball bat.

In a place I usually reach for a house cue and try to go with a nice curving blow so I put some english on somebody when I hit them. WOW, talking about it I realize it has been decades since I had to use a pool cue. My last physical altercation dates to the mid-eighties. Must be time to start taking Geritol!

Hu

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
all in fun

Barbara,

My post was largely in fun but your attitude is correct. Rarely will someone who is alert and ready be bothered. The criminals are looking for easy pickings, not someone prepared for them.

Hu

Barbara said:
Hu,

My only point is that when I was out playing in leagues and leaving by myself, I was always aware of my surroundings and ready to use my cue case to whack anyone who maybe wanted a piece of my possessions.

Much like holding my keys through my knuckles through a parking lot when I'm shopping.

Just defense measures.

Barbara<~~5'11", but doesn't take a chance...

Tommyd1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good Tips

Presenting yourself as a confident person will usually deter a bad guy.

Attitude is a great deterrent.

Bad guys look look for easy targets.

Lots of good info from you ladies and guys.

Tommyd1

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WilleeCue said:
A tip can minimize some stroke errors.
But wouldn't it be better to correct the stroke than compensate with equipment?

of course. that would be a big plus, especially in versatility. I did however notice the differences between using hard, medium and soft tips as to the way of stroking them. like I can't reproduce the same output (hard vs. soft) if I didn't readjust my aim or speed on hitting the CB.

I thought that such differences might had been caused by people's imagination or feeling that it does make a difference. but there is a truth that such tip composition really makes a difference.

I believe it's a matter of looking for your own comfort zone.