Strange Night to remember.

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
played last night with a newly installed tip (EM milkdud). I'm back to playing 13mm again. was playing just fine eventhough I fell short on a few shots due to the adjustment from 12mm to 13, missing a ball or two opening. pocketing was great as hell and managed to fluke a ball once. was crashing the racks and never played like this before. weird thing was I kept pocketing stripes on every break. not even once I was able to pocket solids on a break. my opponent commented that the stripes seems to be fatally attracted to me that night. :grin:

anyway, just when I thought that everything was going well that night. I decided to bring bring my wife to a pizza parlor for a mini-celebration. decided to take out the orders instead and strolled all the way home, since it wasn't that far at around 250m distance. then suddenly, out of nowhere, a car pulled over near the sidewalk where we were at. I look at the person near the passenger window and seems like want to ask something but wasn't sure what to do. 5 people were inside and all guys. seems like they were stalking us or something. then finally the car went to a stop. my wife got alarmed and maybe it was my instinct that I pulled her to cross the street with me in a hurry, just in time 3 of the passengers got out of the car for no apparent reason or logic of purpose.

when we reached the opposite side of the street where 2 people were sitting down, I turned around and look what those suspicious individuals were doing. I was puzzled coz by their looks, they looked unsure of what to do. I don't know what their intentions were and I don't want to know. just by their behaviour made me extremely wary. was not scared but was alarmed since my wife was with me.

now the most unusual question came out of my mouth in that particular time of incident and asked my wife, "were they after our pizza?"

I dunno whether to laugh or not, but I wasn't. I was still wary at that particular moment. I haven't experienced such incident happened to me before. I dunno what to consider out of it but my wife told me that I did the right thing. as of now, I'm considering buying me and my wife a mace or a tazer. though I was also considering a gun, it might be a lil uncomfortable to bring.

I dunno if you guys had some similar experience or what would had you guys had done in my situation. I heard of Jay's experience a year ago where he was harrassed by some kids. I dunno what to consider of this situation coz we weren't really harrassed but got this feeling that we were on the brink of getting harrassed on the process.

sorry but I want this to get this out of my system. too bad a good night of pool almost got derailed.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Hail Mary Shot said:
I'm considering buying me and my wife a mace or a tazer. though I was also considering a gun, it might be a lil uncomfortable to bring.

It is hard telling the grief you saved you and your wife doing what you did.
Smart man to be so observing and to size up the situation.
If you need a defensive weapon against more than one out to do damage ... you need a gun!
That is what they are packing and at least you will be somewhat equal.

Sometimes just lifting your shirt and flashing that you are packing is enough to let them know there are easier targets.
That type of criminal is looking for the easy prey and dont want to risk injury to commit the crime.

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
Did you have your cue with you? Maybe they were going after that.

Barbara

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
always go with the gut

I have had weird forewarnings of trouble that can't be explained a few times and seen situations starting to develop many times. Now when the alarms go off I don't wonder about it, I jack things up to full tilt and do whatever is best at the moment. It might be overkill sometimes but I still have my hair.

You did the right thing. You threw the group off balance and defused the situation. That is ideal but buying a can of bear spray or two isn't a bad idea. Being licensed to carry a firearm is good too but only if the person carrying is prepared to use it if need be.

Hu

Tommyd1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a thought about safety.

Monkey Boy,

You don't mention what state or city you live in or the time of day that this incident happened. Although I would probably guess the evening sometime.

You mention that you crossed the street to where a couple of people were sitting, so I would imagine it wasn't to bad of an area.

Number one, you should always be aware of your surroundings and try to avoid putting yourself at risk.

As far as devices for protection, nothing beats a handgun for personal protection.

Now with most of the states having some sort of CCW laws for the honest citizen, handguns have become very popular.

I must say that if you do decide to carry a weapon such as a handgun, you have to put in the time and effort not only to decide which weapon suites your situation but also in the actual use of it.

You must become proficient with it.

There are many sources available to research and many sources for actual training.

You must also take into consideration are there going to be kids in the home, etc. ( Safety )

I'm a firm believer in that people should be able to protect themselves, but I can't stress training, training and more training if that's the route you want to go.

It's ( being armed is a very big responsibility ) that cannot be taken lightly.

You will have to learn the laws the govern the use of a firearm by a citizen for their self protection or that of a loved one.

I've been a Firearms Instructor for Police only for a number of years and I've been a member of different shooting clubs throughout these years. I can say that I've never met a nicer bunch of people. That's the other good thing if you decide to go the firearms route, you'll not only become proficient if you do it right and join a club but also have a great time. :D

Mace and other products I really don't recommend for personnel protection, you wouldn't want these devices in a deadly encounter.

And that is really what I'm talking about ...a deadly encounter. It can happen in any city, suburb or location at any time.

But as I said, be aware of your surroundings, while walking, driving even whats going on in and around your neighborhood. Thats the best advise I can give.

Tommyd1 ;)

Last edited:

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Very wise words tommyd1.
You can not imagine the legal problems you will face and money you will spend if you whip it out and cap someone.

You are almost better off shooting yourself with it.

However, if it comes down to life or death, it would seem best to be judged by 12 rather than carried by 6.

Tommyd1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol

WilleeCue,

Your response is very true and brought a smile to my face,
shooting yourself :D :D :D

There is a lot of responsibility in carrying a firearm and if you ever have to use it to protect you or your loved ones, well hopefully you'll wake up the next day to face those problems.

But actually, I do see alot of cases where the citizen responds with deadly force and if justified they are not charged.

But like I said, theres a lot of things to learn and many of them can be quite enjoyable.

It's not just strapping on a gun and Whee !

You just have to be willing to put in the time. :D

Tommyd1

Last edited:

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
I ran pool rooms for about 20 years which means my staff (mostly pretty young ladies) and I didn't leave work until the wee hours of the morning. I was always worried about their personal safety as a few did not have transportation and were always bumming rides.

I researched personal self defense and found a couple of non lethal items which worked very well.

This is going to sound funny but one of the best things to carry with you is a clip on flash gun for a 35mm camera. At night, it will disorient and blind your attacker while there is some distance between you and them long enough for you to make a run for it. Surprisingly, I know from personal experience this works.

Another thing that works is a big can of pepper spray. Not the little pocket size which have been proven to be basically useless as you have to hit your attacker in the eyes with a small stream of spray from a close distance. I talking about the stuff used on bears at the national parks which will fog an area 25 to 30 feet away.

I used one once to break up a fight with about 10 people involved. It took about 3 seconds and it was over.

One trick I used when I was out of the road playing pool and had made a score was to put 5-10 dollars in my shirt pocket. Twice, I was mugged at knife point outside the pool room and all they wanted was the money. I just reached into my shirt pocket and threw the money in the air. All they saw was money floating down around them and I was out of there. I wouldn't try this if they were holding a gun.

Hope this helps,

Stones

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WilleeCue said:
It is hard telling the grief you saved you and your wife doing what you did.
Smart man to be so observing and to size up the situation.
If you need a defensive weapon against more than one out to do damage ... you need a gun!
That is what they are packing and at least you will be somewhat equal.

Sometimes just lifting your shirt and flashing that you are packing is enough to let them know there are easier targets.
That type of criminal is looking for the easy prey and dont want to risk injury to commit the crime.

my main concern during that time was my wife. it didn't matter if I was outnumbered as long as I had no one with me to worry about. I was thinking that I might or might not be able to handle all 3 of them (those who got out of the car), even if I let my wife run and call for help, I was thinking the 2 remaining persons inside the car would go after her.

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barbara said:
Did you have your cue with you? Maybe they were going after that.

Barbara

Yes, that's the question my wife asked me. I on the otherhand, was thinking about the pizza.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'da beat feat and got outa there quick. if someone looks like they're up to no good, they probably are!

glad nothing bad happened

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:
I have had weird forewarnings of trouble that can't be explained a few times and seen situations starting to develop many times. Now when the alarms go off I don't wonder about it, I jack things up to full tilt and do whatever is best at the moment. It might be overkill sometimes but I still have my hair.

You did the right thing. You threw the group off balance and defused the situation. That is ideal but buying a can of bear spray or two isn't a bad idea. Being licensed to carry a firearm is good too but only if the person carrying is prepared to use it if need be.

Hu

I was contemplating about that question. would I feel guilt if I killed someone? I had used and shoot with some firearms (not mine) before but never used them to shoot a person yet. I'm quite a bit of a sensitive person but I would not hesitate to turn off that switch if it's a matter of life and death. it's either me, persons that are close to me or them (criminals). if I had a gun with me and had us cornered, I believe I would had thought of them as a flock of seagulls about to be shot down.

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommyd1 said:
Monkey Boy,

You don't mention what state or city you live in or the time of day that this incident happened. Although I would probably guess the evening sometime.

You mention that you crossed the street to where a couple of people were sitting, so I would imagine it wasn't to bad of an area.

Number one, you should always be aware of your surroundings and try to avoid putting yourself at risk.

As far as devices for protection, nothing beats a handgun for personal protection.

Now with most of the states having some sort of CCW laws for the honest citizen, handguns have become very popular.

I must say that if you do decide to carry a weapon such as a handgun, you have to put in the time and effort not only to decide which weapon suites your situation but also in the actual use of it.

You must become proficient with it.

There are many sources available to research and many sources for actual training.

You must also take into consideration are there going to be kids in the home, etc. ( Safety )

I'm a firm believer in that people should be able to protect themselves, but I can't stress training, training and more training if that's the route you want to go.

It's ( being armed is a very big responsibility ) that cannot be taken lightly.

You will have to learn the laws the govern the use of a firearm by a citizen for their self protection or that of a loved one.

I've been a Firearms Instructor for Police only for a number of years and I've been a member of different shooting clubs throughout these years. I can say that I've never met a nicer bunch of people. That's the other good thing if you decide to go the firearms route, you'll not only become proficient if you do it right and join a club but also have a great time. :D

Mace and other products I really don't recommend for personnel protection, you wouldn't want these devices in a deadly encounter.

And that is really what I'm talking about ...a deadly encounter. It can happen in any city, suburb or location at any time.

But as I said, be aware of your surroundings, while walking, driving even whats going on in and around your neighborhood. Thats the best advise I can give.

Tommyd1 ;)

it was half past midnight. the other thing that crossed my mind is they have a car. they could had pulled us or my wife inside. it was one of the scenarios that occured in my mind. though there were 2 people on the other side of the street, a fast action by the crimininals doesn't cause much of a commotion. they'd be long gone before those 2 people would even notice something happened or they might had noticed nothing since both were busy talking to each other.

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WilleeCue said:
Very wise words tommyd1.
You can not imagine the legal problems you will face and money you will spend if you whip it out and cap someone.

You are almost better off shooting yourself with it.

However, if it comes down to life or death, it would seem best to be judged by 12 rather than carried by 6.

being a politics major graduate, I believe I can find my way out of those 12's clutches. it would had been possible that they pay me for shooting or killing one of them (not the jury).two can play that game.

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stones said:
I ran pool rooms for about 20 years which means my staff (mostly pretty young ladies) and I didn't leave work until the wee hours of the morning. I was always worried about their personal safety as a few did not have transportation and were always bumming rides.

I researched personal self defense and found a couple of non lethal items which worked very well.

This is going to sound funny but one of the best things to carry with you is a clip on flash gun for a 35mm camera. At night, it will disorient and blind your attacker while there is some distance between you and them long enough for you to make a run for it. Surprisingly, I know from personal experience this works.

Another thing that works is a big can of pepper spray. Not the little pocket size which have been proven to be basically useless as you have to hit your attacker in the eyes with a small stream of spray from a close distance. I talking about the stuff used on bears at the national parks which will fog an area 25 to 30 feet away.

I used one once to break up a fight with about 10 people involved. It took about 3 seconds and it was over.

One trick I used when I was out of the road playing pool and had made a score was to put 5-10 dollars in my shirt pocket. Twice, I was mugged at knife point outside the pool room and all they wanted was the money. I just reached into my shirt pocket and threw the money in the air. All they saw was money floating down around them and I was out of there. I wouldn't try this if they were holding a gun.

Hope this helps,

Stones

I hope my wife doesn't mind that big can of bear spray.

the last suggestion (making it rain) however, is quite a classic on it's own. silly and funny at the same time. :thumbup:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't think of them as seagulls!!

Seagulls are a protected species! :D :D :D

Having taken the concealed carry course and did a little research on my own, I just think of someone trying to harm me or mine as an attacker and my purpose is only to stop the attack. It is not my concern what happens to the attacker. I'm not trying to harm or kill them, I am trying to prevent harm to me and mine.

Hu

Hail Mary Shot said:
I was contemplating about that question. would I feel guilt if I killed someone? I had used and shoot with some firearms (not mine) before but never used them to shoot a person yet. I'm quite a bit of a sensitive person but I would not hesitate to turn off that switch if it's a matter of life and death. it's either me, persons that are close to me or them (criminals). if I had a gun with me and had us cornered, I believe I would had thought of them as a flock of seagulls about to be shot down.

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
Great idea about the flash!! Anyone who's been hit with that in a picture taking session can attest to that!

This reminds me of when I was a college and used to go food shopping in a slightly undesirable section of Philly. I was totally the minority - white, female, but I hedged my bets and went shopping around 1 pm when I figured kids would be in school and the most people would be working.

I was coming back from food shopping - it was a 15 block walk for me - carrying two bags when a police cruiser stopped me. I was like, wtf, when they got out of their car. They questioned me why I was shopping in that area and I told them that it was because it was the closest regular food store and it was really cheap. Then they gave me a couple suggestions. 1) to get a mobile cart to carry the groceries so I wouldn't have my arms in full use, and 2) carry a pair of 8" sewing scissors in the pockets of my painter's jeans. Sewing scissors were not considered a "lethal weapon" and they could thwart a mugging. I thanked them for the info and went on my way.

Never did buy that cart, but I always carried a pair of sewing scissors after that and really kept focused on my surroundings. Nothing ever happened to me.

Barbara

Stones said:

Hope this helps,

Stones