Stroke Tempo (?)

JeremiahGage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a diagram I created for my shooting routine that shows the relative tempo of the backswing vs the stroke:
routine_1024x1024.png

http://bullseyebilliards.net/blogs/articles/102997958-pool-billiards-shooting-routine

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Well...

I guess I can not tell the truth.

I will just refer back to my post #2 where I was in basic agreement with the OP who is now said to know about the SPF teachings...

of which I made no reference.

ALL Best Wishes to ALL.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve...We actually did touch on this, but just a bit. Our lesson was too short to include much more than assessing your strengths and weaknesses in your setup and delivery process, teach you PEP, and how to adjust your speed control. What I told you then, was to start out with the addressed cadence we worked on (set-pause-finish), and once you 'grooved' that in, to adjust your own sense of timing and rhythm. You're correct in that everyone must discover their own sense of timing and rhythm. SPF is a great starting point. I'd be happy to come work with you again for a couple of hours, and help you work out this issue. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

From some things I've read on the Internet (so it must be true) humans have a natural cadence like a comfortable walking pace ingrained in their brains.

Should you model your stroke to this cadence? It's around a second back stroke, a second forward stroke. The speed of the shot is controlled by how far you pull back.

A lot of the real good shooters (especially Ed) at RedShoes where I play has this kind rhythm. Some fundamentals instruction I've had (including Scott who is marvelous) don't touch on this.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
One of the most important parts to playing well. Agreed.:thumbup:

So you disagree with the instructors above that are well respected members of this forum, who I agree with, yet you agree with me. Sorry that doesn't make sense.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
Well...

I guess I can not tell the truth.

I will just refer back to my post #2 where I was in basic agreement with the OP who is now said to know about the SPF teachings...

of which I made no reference.

ALL Best Wishes to ALL.

It was easy to deduce what you were referencing.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
It was easy to deduce what you were referencing.

Not exactly so at all.

SP99 provided a link a while back with a similar but rather different numbered method, of which I can not remember the 3 letter acronym at this time.

But the point is that it was in reference to any full motion method with assigned numbers for speed.

If I had wanted to specifically refer to just the SPF teachings I certainly could have & would have done so.

The rampant false belief of omniscience by some here on AZB may be one of, if not the, most significant problems that causes turmoil, etc, here.

All Best Wishes for YOU & YOURS... & All.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
the numbers on the spf speed drills.......have nothing to do with the drill at all! No Scott orRandy did nt tell me this....but the numbers could be shapes, it wouldn't matter. It could even be old school mario and you got too many lives so its Mountain castle ROFLAO (hope someone understands the O.G. mario joke....you must be one with the turtle is all and get ya hop on:cool:)

The only reason there are numbers, is basically so you can communicate speeds with others, instead of saying "hit it hard, med, soft"

what makes the drill work is having a consistent start and finish......having some consistency at all does wonders for lots of things.

and by and by pulling farther back and maintaining a delivery of the same time.....is not keeping tempo by the way, thats a change of tempo and velocity....

the numbers dont make the drill Rick.......the number one could be a tiny little troll, and the highestnumber could be a big big troll.....they could be diff colored tampons, crayons, rocks......as i said the numbers are there for communication b/t players, students, and coaches.

Same thing how if I'm speaking to someone on here or on the phone describing a shot.....and i will say Short Rail, Long Rail to describe...its easier than saying oh wel at the head of the table, go 2 diamonds bla bla bla.......easier to communicate so no ones lost.

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
the numbers on the spf speed drills.......have nothing to do with the drill at all! No Scott orRandy did nt tell me this....but the numbers could be shapes, it wouldn't matter. It could even be old school mario and you got too many lives so its Mountain castle ROFLAO (hope someone understands the O.G. mario joke....you must be one with the turtle is all and get ya hop on:cool:)

The only reason there are numbers, is basically so you can communicate speeds with others, instead of saying "hit it hard, med, soft"

what makes the drill work is having a consistent start and finish......having some consistency at all does wonders for lots of things.

Are you trying to distract from the comparison.

The point is that one method uses a full range of motion with different speeds (& designations) while the other uses different ranges of motion.

We are all individuals but one way makes more common sense than the other given the physics involved.

Do you "tap" a nail to get it started with a full range of hammer swing?

What is the potential force of a full range of hammer swing?

What are the odds that one would decelerate the hammer?

ALL Best Wishes for ALL.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Are you trying to distract from the comparison.not not in the least bit at all....just wanted to bring that up and you talk about the numbers alot....the numbers dont matter was my point

The point is that one method uses a full range of motion with different speeds (& designationsexactly Ed!) while the other uses different ranges of motion. (

We are all individuals but one way makes more common sense than the other given the physics involved. please explain them

Do you "tap" a nail to get it started with a full range of hammer swing? you will probably say i'm full of chit, but it depends on the nail......because I can full swing drive with no tap in....but I'm a master carpenter and framer, so what do I know.....meh just me and my two boys could out run a crew of 5 mexicans with screw guns....say I'm lying and I'll show you a video of the guy who taught me to roof....would give Lou Buterra the rainbow lol :eek:

What is the potential force of a full range of hammer swing? it depends on the velocity in which you move your arm, how much you let the hammer itself do the work, how accurate your are, and the weight of the hammers head itself and the length of the handle of the hammmer and where you hold it. I cant tell you without more specifics Ed.

What are the odds that one would decelerate the hammer? Highly likely in some way shape of form imop just thinking of watching others swing hammers and missing and struggling and such.....lot of those fellas keep trying to do the work of the tool, and always looked like they were trying to microadjust midflight, which i'm sure holds someform of deceleration possibly , or at least not a true bell power curve that would have a weight on a lever moving in an arch, they start too fast and end too slow. Obviously I'm sure we are both talking about setting roofing nails, or some number 4d's on up because smaller would probably be in some small detail work and you would probably be stopping short and countersinking with a punch.....

ALL Best Wishes for ALL.
except instructors...lol

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
kinda not unlike watching someone who doesn't know how to use a hand saw......

the struggle is real LMFAO

when using tools......all tools were designed to do work.....many of them dont work right when youstart trying to do the work yourself, or you damage the tools etc.

and hand saws are a hilarious and really common example.....because people force and rush....and bind...and aggravated...and bind...and GRRRRRRR lol

reminds me of lots of strokes ive seen too....

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
and in regards to a hammer...theres so many diff kinds of hammers, and sledges and such and diff types of hammering for especially harder applications like setting some monsters in some iron.....

but in general when hammering a nail, its a short to no movement of the forearm and some wrist action......mostly the arm moves just to pick the hammer back up....and you have the right kind of hammer to do the job, so its weight and design are proper.....

its not just a chunk of metal on a stick....it can be but we have come a long way to have to resort to chunks of metal on sticks.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Your already drowning with the pool lunacy, i wouldn't start me down a road of argument with either carpentry or cooking hamma! (pun intended)

pitching and batting would also be another....and fielding....base stealing...instrumentation systems design troubleshooting and engineering, running. Growing a garden. Probably anything tech related. The origins of slang language. The Oregon Ducks. Fishing...any where any time wether you got a pole or just some twine. Ducks. Duck Calls.

thats just a short list...omfg i live in a museum think lab

i suck at fooseball tho.

back to work,
Greyghost

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
except instructors...lol

Same type of Bolderdash as your cohorts. Go into the specific details of the analogy to avoid the actual topic of the comparison & you called something that I said about Hogan as an aside as filler talk.

All Best Wishes for ALL.

PS I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO ILL WILL or BAD WISHES FOR ANY INSTRUCTOR OR INDIVIDUAL. That is part of the problem with you & your cohorts.

Last edited:

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your already drowning with the pool lunacy, i wouldn't start me down a road of argument with either carpentry or cooking hamma! (pun intended)

pitching and batting would also be another....and fielding....base stealing...instrumentation systems design troubleshooting and engineering, running. Growing a garden. Probably anything tech related. The origins of slang language. The Oregon Ducks. Fishing...any where any time wether you got a pole or just some twine. Ducks. Duck Calls.

thats just a short list...omfg i live in a museum think lab

i suck at fooseball tho.

back to work,
Greyghost

Hey Greyghost
I like the fishing challenge. Where, when,what?

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
You pull the trigger when you are ready, not before, not after. You know when you released at the wrong time; there is usually a penalty to pay.

Each stroke and shot has its own tempo, timing, rhythm. If you try to keep them all the same you may as well call yourself the Tin Man and carry a can of oil.

Its' extremely difficult to repeat the same cadence, timing. Etc. It's easier to learn the strokes and let the timing happen natural. Stroke technique and repetitive practice of a few strokes will carry you through the endless variations and speed of each one, naturally, never forced.

Your delivery will be right on time whether it's a short stroke, long stroke, nip, etc. it will be on time for whatever the cue ball asks.

It's all a dance that flows through your core. You just have to learn the dance and repeat the steps of stroke technique, it's not that difficult, a very simple process, easy to learn, easy to teach.

Shane Van Boening uses so many different feather strokes, preliminary strokes, stroke tempo, rhythm and timing you can lose count in one game if you cared to keep track.

Each person creates their own style, rhythm, tempo for stroke and game play, that’s the beauty of it.

I love when I hear; I stroked it on 5 when I usually count to 6.

You release the stroke when it's ready.

Sincerely: SS

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
You pull the trigger when you are ready, not before, not after. You know when you released at the wrong time; there is usually a penalty to pay.

Each stroke and shot has its own tempo, timing, rhythm. If you try to keep them all the same you may as well call yourself the Tin Man and carry a can of oil.

Its' extremely difficult to repeat the same cadence, timing. Etc. It's easier to learn the strokes and let the timing happen natural. Stroke technique and repetitive practice of a few strokes will carry you through the endless variations and speed of each one, naturally, never forced.

Your delivery will be right on time whether it's a short stroke, long stroke, nip, etc. it will be on time for whatever the cue ball asks.

It's all a dance that flows through your core. You just have to learn the dance and repeat the steps of stroke technique, it's not that difficult, a very simple process, easy to learn, easy to teach.

Shane Van Boening uses so many different feather strokes, preliminary strokes, stroke tempo, rhythm and timing you can lose count in one game if you cared to keep track.

Each person creates their own style, rhythm, tempo for stroke and game play, that’s the beauty of it.

I love when I hear; I stroked it on 5 when I usually count to 6.

You release the stroke when it's ready.

Sincerely: SS

That is unless you have been taught to be a robot with only one programming & you think that is the Holy Grail.:wink:

Another very good post, Sir.

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody watch Morra vs Alex match last night in Canadian 10 ball finals? On tough shots he had up to 13 practice strokes...medium difficulty was 8 or 9. Then if he was easy on part ball he'd have 3 practice strokes. He's a very deliberate player, so suprising he altered the number of stokes so much.

Allison Fisher had the best warm up strokes..same number of strokes, same tempo no matter the shot really.