Stupid Sports on TV WHY???

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
This has probably been asked before so I am sorry if I am repeating this. I would love to know what is so desirable to ESPN about Hot Dog eating contests, Rock Paper Scissors and cup stacking. ESPN have dropped out of a couple of Pool events for 2008 and so I just wonder what do these other "sports" have that are just plain dopey that the SPORT of pool does not?
 
I agree that the Nathans Hot Dog eating contest is stupid, but have you ever watched it? Damn, its entertaining! I watch it and bet on it every year. Retarded? Maybe, Gross? Definitely (especially when a reversal of fortune happens), Entertaining? Without a doubt.
 
I firmly believe the information age we're in is having a big effect on attention span, ability to comprehend, etc.

People don't want to expend time to learn sports like pool when it takes 1 min. to learn rock-paper-scissors.

Now pool has never been a big sell on TV but some of these sports are indeed quite stupid.

Sportscenter summarizes a Cavs game in 15 sec. showing nothing but LeBron dunk twice and toss in a three pointer. The coverage isn't really even about the game.
 
corvette1340 said:
I agree that the Nathans Hot Dog eating contest is stupid, but have you ever watched it? Damn, its entertaining! I watch it and bet on it every year. Retarded? Maybe, Gross? Definitely (especially when a reversal of fortune happens), Entertaining? Without a doubt.

"Reversal of fortune". Har.

Yeah, you're not likely to see projectile vomiting in a pool tournament. Not enough "drama" for some folks, I guess. :D
 
ScottW said:
"Reversal of fortune". Har.

Yeah, you're not likely to see projectile vomiting in a pool tournament. Not enough "drama" for some folks, I guess. :D


I have seen projectile vommit at a pool room before, several times in fact. :D
 
Somewhere the is a cup stacking forum beotching about airtime and a lack of respect for their best cup stacker people...........

and they have two rather large men from south dakota chasing the tourney trail with a car full of web cams and laptops.... and they cant get more than 30 folks to buy the PPV from the Atlantic city cup stacker royal rumble...


to quote Digital Underground.... "A-A-All around the world it's the same song'
 
smokeandapancak said:
Somewhere the is a cup stacking forum beotching about airtime and a lack of respect for their best cup stacker people...........

and they have two rather large men from south dakota chasing the tourney trail with a car full of web cams and laptops.... and they cant get more than 30 folks to buy the PPV from the Atlantic city cup stacker royal rumble...


to quote Digital Underground.... "A-A-All around the world it's the same song'
I wonder if there are cup stacking groupies? I also wonder when they fill out an application for a mortgage or a credit card and they ask ocupation do they really put cup stacker? sponsored by Dixie and top ramen?
 
smokeandapancak said:
Somewhere the is a cup stacking forum beotching about airtime and a lack of respect for their best cup stacker people...........

and they have two rather large men from south dakota chasing the tourney trail with a car full of web cams and laptops.... and they cant get more than 30 folks to buy the PPV from the Atlantic city cup stacker royal rumble...


to quote Digital Underground.... "A-A-All around the world it's the same song'


and Digital Underground spun many a worthwhile quote...
"just grab em in the biscuit"
"I use a word that don't mean nothin like Loopted"
 
smokeandapancak said:
Somewhere the is a cup stacking forum beotching about airtime and a lack of respect for their best cup stacker people...........

and they have two rather large men from south dakota chasing the tourney trail with a car full of web cams and laptops.... and they cant get more than 30 folks to buy the PPV from the Atlantic city cup stacker royal rumble...


to quote Digital Underground.... "A-A-All around the world it's the same song'

and they wear shirts that say, "Stackin' USA". :eek: :D

www.thestackinreport.com
 
axejunkie said:
Sportscenter summarizes a Cavs game in 15 sec. showing nothing but LeBron dunk twice and toss in a three pointer. The coverage isn't really even about the game.

He's the most entertaining part of the game. GO CAVS!
 
Oraganization

If the UPA can get good sponsorship they have a chance. I think one of the problems with pool is ESPN would like to charge in order to come out and film the event.
 
bfdlad said:
This has probably been asked before so I am sorry if I am repeating this. I would love to know what is so desirable to ESPN about Hot Dog eating contests, Rock Paper Scissors and cup stacking. ESPN have dropped out of a couple of Pool events for 2008 and so I just wonder what do these other "sports" have that are just plain dopey that the SPORT of pool does not?

You answered your own question... people like dopey.
 
Rock-paper-scissors is all skill and knowledge. Don't you know that? You have to be good at reading peoples mind too. I think I might quit pool and go professional on the Roshambo circuit!!!!!!! It's on!!:)
 
corvette1340 said:
and Digital Underground spun many a worthwhile quote...
"just grab em in the biscuit"
"I use a word that don't mean nothin like Loopted"


You know Vette........ I once got busy in Burger King bathroom


no shit
no lie
there I was
 
storke said:
If the UPA can get good sponsorship they have a chance. I think one of the problems with pool is ESPN would like to charge in order to come out and film the event.
I agree with you, however inside the industry most are seeing a loss and are not able to do as much as would be needed to make the UPA what it has the potential of. Outside the industry they have no passion for the sport and so they only look at the numbers and the numbers as far as non televised a not worth the $$ (in their opinion) Even with televised they just don't see the potential they just see the demographic reports and the numbers. Someone with alot of $$ has to take a chance on the UPA and the industry. It is hard to get people with $$ to take chances. I do agree with you though.
 
ABall said:
Rock-paper-scissors is all skill and knowledge. Don't you know that? You have to be good at reading peoples mind too. I think I might quit pool and go professional on the Roshambo circuit!!!!!!! It's on!!:)
I think you should go for it. You need to know what you are getting into though. It will take lots of practice and hard work, also you need to watch out for the shambo hustlers. You think you have them everytime until the money is on the table. Lots of sharking going on too so be ready, I also had the same dream man but unfortunatly I just couldn't cut it. I can hold my own in most bars but the equiptment knowledge is everything. Once I hit the big time I didn't stand a chance, those guys are good. Just FYI
 
Rock, Paper, Scissors is fundamentally flawed. They're all playing Gun, Monster, Man in the high stakes money games these days. Much more fair, and requires a more rounded skill set. Hopefully the International Roshambo Federation will realize this soon and phase RPS out in favor of GMM.

Gun Monster Man, thats where the action is.

Stand back to back. On the count of 3, jump, turning 180 degrees and land posing with your choice of gun (using fingers), monster (hands above head, showing teeth, make a "raarr" sound), or man (just stand there).

- Monster kills man.
- Man beats gun because he just puts it safely into a holster.
- Monster doesn't understand a gun, and his curiosity gets the best of him, as he pulls the trigger on himself while inspecting it.

:p
 
Back
Top