support you local poolroom another closing

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The answer could be how they are
doing it in Europe. They have a lot of
private clubs. Monthly or annual memberships.
It works well there.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
It works well there.

Not a good example, they're not over run with derelict gamblers drinking water, and playing for free....LOL

GoPlayPool

Search. Find. Play.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Re: Pool Rooms Closing General Input

It is funny that our story in creating The GoPlayPool App started with walking into a pool hall with 12 Diamond Bar Tables and 10 minutes away from our home and 5 years later, we didn't even know it existed until then.

One of the main reasons in our opinion some pool rooms are not succeeding is lack of upkeep with the age of technology and its twisted marketing formats.

Putting the directory of pool halls in the US has been a 5 years, 12 hours a day work...
Some pool halls don't have addresses listed, don't have phone numbers listed and let's not even talk about hours of operation.(Small town BIG pool halls are closed because of the "flu". (reminds me of the movie my cousin Vinnie). Therefore we don't have hours of operation listed on our system at all.

Consistency is the ingredient for success.

After we put the directory together, we realized that we can do more...
So, we added: Table count, table brands, table sizes and league/tournament availability onto the system as well as amenities the establishment offers from: food to alcohol if any, other games, TVs, entertainment and one of the most important piece of information: Age limit.

Now the system is not perfect and daily we are editing and adding information. It will never be perfect, but as long as we gather the information, we can help the community to at least know what pool hall has how many tables and so on...

As part of the plan and as a pool player, I personally realized that I see the same faces over and over again. A kodak image today and take the same picture in 5 years and 80% of the same faces are in the picture. (Cell phone now, no more Kodak! lol).
The pool community already knows where the Thursday night tournament is. It is the "new" and "potential" client that doesn't know.
So our marketing efforts have been focused towards colleges, universities and even some high schools in areas we know the pool halls allows under age clients.

Our next step which is in the works is to allow pool rooms upgrade to post: coupons, discounts, offers and let people know about their daily specials on pool, food, booze or whatever event they want to promote. And it will always be on the system and it is not just another "post" on Facebook we scroll past.
We have some contact information on some pool rooms and we have many interested pool rooms awaiting our completion of our platform. So, we are looking forward to that.

Bottom line is: rent was super cheap in the 60's and you really didn't have to market your "pool hall" to many out of towners either. Now people travel, they use yelp? Do you have an account(A claimed account), they use Facebook? Do you have a business page?(An updated one with specials, tournament info and/or for GOD's sake a phone number.), they use Google maps? Are you listed(Full description and full address, not something someone else has entered in).

We have put all of them on the same platform and hoping with our marketing efforts towards the end user(which everything is free for), we can help room owners and establishments bring in more business daily and stay updated with the age of technology at the same time.

Looking forward to the completed platform in about 30 days or so...
:cool::cool::cool:
:grin::grin::grin:

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It works well there.

I was thinking about this a couple of months ago and wished the pool rooms would offer a monthly fee that would bring in more people and more people means business all around a lively pool room is a happy pool room

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
a good business person learns how to make it, and most pool room owners are poor business people. plus if they have been in business a long time they should have bought their own place and have it free and clear by now.
bad business not to and just keep renting then complain you have to close because you do the same things you did years back and cant afford to pay today's prices.

most had years to get a booze license and up grade to proper equipment and actually run the room themselves. years back the owner was there. most rooms ive been in have a low wage worker who couldnt care less if you stayed or left.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
a good business person learns how to make it, and most pool room owners are poor business people. plus if they have been in business a long time they should have bought their own place and have it free and clear by now.
bad business not to and just keep renting then complain you have to close because you do the same things you did years back and cant afford to pay today's prices.

most had years to get a booze license and up grade to proper equipment and actually run the room themselves. years back the owner was there. most rooms ive been in have a low wage worker who couldnt care less if you stayed or left.

For once, we agree on something!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member

I keep saying all the time, last years business plan won't work next year, unless you keep updating it!!

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
This room is my home room and to my way of thinking it has the best equipment in the area hands down.

Hopefully the owner is ok and should the room move I hope it's turns into something bigger and better. He runs a great show.

PS...nice AVA

Last edited: