SVB and Orcullo are they...

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Barring the world championships, taking the tournaments at Buffalo's, the Diveny, and all the other tournaments like it (Swanee, Olathe, Florida.)

If you were given SVB and Orcullo, either one to win, and the person you were betting with had the field, would you like your chances?

Orcullo is on a tear, and it seems that when SVB shows up to play, he is just a monster.

Thoughts?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barring the world championships, taking the tournaments at Buffalo's, the Diveny, and all the other tournaments like it (Swanee, Olathe, Florida.)

If you were given SVB and Orcullo, either one to win, and the person you were betting with had the field, would you like your chances?

Orcullo is on a tear, and it seems that when SVB shows up to play, he is just a monster.

Thoughts?
All depends how strong the field is. For a world championship or U.S. Open quality field, I would say one would still be far better off betting on the field.

Sorry, I obviously didn’t read your entire text properly. It still basically depends on the quality of the field and how many top 50 ranked players are in it. Now if you added Joshua Filler as a third player along with the other two, then it becomes a lot closer to a fair bet.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
All depends how strong the field is. For a world championship or U.S. Open quality field, I would say one would still be far better off betting on the field.

Sorry, I obviously didn’t read your entire text properly. It still basically depends on the quality of the field and how many top 50 ranked players are in it. Now if you added Joshua Filler as a third player along with the other two, then it becomes a lot closer to a fair bet.
Look over all the steaming events from Terry H and Ray. Those tournaments. Lots of really strong people play in them and the entry fee keeps the bangers out.

sjm

Sweating it at Derby City
Silver Member
In nearly all situations, I'd take the field. The fields in the upcoming event in New Orleans are very tough. I'd take the field in every discipline.

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with sjm above. While I'm a huge fan of both SVB and Orcullo, we're talking about betting and odds. The field is the smarter bet in a top level tournament, regardless of whom you like, especially if you're having to pick "either or" among SVB or Orcullo. Now, if you're giving me both of them vs the field, it closes the gap considerably.

Reactions: sjm

sjm

Sweating it at Derby City
Silver Member
I agree with sjm above. While I'm a huge fan of both SVB and Orcullo, we're talking about betting and odds. The field is the smarter bet in a top level tournament, regardless of whom you like, especially if you're having to pick "either or" among SVB or Orcullo. Now, if you're giving me both of them vs the field, it closes the gap considerably.
My understanding is that you are getting both, but I'm still taking the field in most American events.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Yes, you get both and the other party gets the field.

iusedtoberich

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you limited the events to those on US soil, I would definitely take Dennis and Shane vs the field. The international superstars might come to the US once per year. There would be almost a lock on the other events of the year for Dennis or Shane to win.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane just won the 8 Ball division at Jesse Bowman's event this weekend he beat Dennis in the finals.

And he's still in the 9 Ball division that's down to last few players

1620598104002.png

DieselPete

I think the assumption, or mine anyway, is that we are talking about a major event, non-pandemic year, with something like 90 of the world’s top 100.

Field.

Billy Bob’s Bar Box Brawl?

Sure, those two guys.

But, to be fair, in re-reading your original post and recognizing that we went in a different direction (my fault, not yours because your original post was totally clear), you ask a valid question and picking those two guys is certainly a valid gamble.