SVB Bit By Spider

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was bit by a brown recluse spider years ago. I killed it and kept it so that is how I know what it was. I was in the ER within a few hours. The spot on my arm where it bit me swelled up like a softball and the skin just died and fell off. They gave me some kind if anti venom or something but was really sick for a few days.

The weird part was the area where I got bit would flair up every few months and go through a thing where the skin would seem to die and fall off. Over time they were farther apart till it just stopped. I have not had a reoccurrence in years. I actually like spiders and have a yard full of them.

They have webs that are like 10 feet across. People are afraid to even come on the property. Here is a picture of one. It is about 4 to 5 inches across. In my back yard up in the trees there are hundreds of then, they are really cool.
Gawd we only have small ones in my area and I still get creeped out walking into a Web. I would lose my shit if I thought one of those was crawling up the back of my shirt

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gawd we only have small ones in my area and I still get creeped out walking into a Web. I would lose my shit if I thought one of those was crawling up the back of my shirt

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

It is worse then that, they will build a web in a few hours. When you watch them work it looks like a film in fast forward they work so fast. I never walk in the yard without a flash light and watch in front of me.

You may walk down a path you walked just a few hours ago and there is a web crossing it now. I went out one morning and one had built a web across the door frame during the night, I walked right into it. They are kind of cool, I think because they are so large they have a different perspective and are not so creepy. They are very colorful

They are Golden Orb Weavers. They show up every year out of nowhere and seem to be full grown the first time you start to see them. The one day they will almost all be gone. I think there may be some type of birds that eat them because they are just gone one day and the webs are all wrecked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_silk_orb-weaver

The can be pretty interesting. I walked into a web not long ago a few times and the spider kept fixing the web. Then one morning I went out and it was amazing. The web had like little flags hanging all around the web making it more visible.

I did some reading and found spiders sometimes do this so birds don't fly into their webs and wreck them. It was just interesting it didn't do it till I had messed up the web a few times. The little flags were perfectly spaced around the web. It was amazing.

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd rather have Freddy Kruger or Jason Voorhies in my house than a dust spider. I was watching tv in the recliner the other night and one crawled across my leg. I had to take a Crying Game shower.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Shane starts growing 3 more pairs of eyes, he is going to have a heck of a time trying to find his vision center. :eek:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now he really is gonna be super human hope he's ok all jokes aside

Most spider bites are fine in 24 hrs. (can be a somewhat bad 24 hrs though) Most problems arise from scratching them and getting germs into the wound. But, yes, we all hope he is fine.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Shane suddenly starts playing better, will Mike Page have to put an asterisk next to his Fargo rating?

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
spider?

Shane said on FB he was fishing last night and something bit him on the leg. When he pulled his pants leg up he saw something drop out, but I guess it was dark, as he's not sure, but he thinks it was a spider. Hope if it's red, swollen, or hurts, he goes to an ER. Johnnyt

Sounds a little fishy to me. Did Shane hook up with Little Miss Tuffet the night before?

As I've spent a lot of times outdoors, I try to have a tube of "StingStop" handy.

If you have nothing else available, urine has been used for thousands of years for irritating bites. It helps with bee stings, chiggers, horse flies, deer flies...even poison ivy!!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If Shane suddenly starts playing better, will Mike Page have to put an asterisk next to his Fargo rating?

Apparently, the spider has a Fargorating of .317....
...should this be added to SVB's stats?

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just as an FYI..... you know spiders very rarely even bite humans right? It has been likened to a person trying to bite the wall..... waste of time. Most cases of 'necrotic' spider bites have recently been thought to more than likely be MRSA. The brown recluse spider got a really bad rap.... I cant find the article again, but an article I read stated that there were 400+ brown recluse bites reported by doctors in I want to say 2012 in North Carolina alone. Oddly enough, the scientists who study spiders had only ever located 3 brown recluse spiders in NC. Busy spiders eh? :thumbup:

There.... good deed done for the day..... whew..... :thumbup:

A friend was bit by a brown recluse spider a few years ago. The thing got in his luggage in San Antonio but bit him at home. He has had numerous health problems since. No joke.

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
A friend was bit by a brown recluse spider a few years ago. The thing got in his luggage in San Antonio but bit him at home. He has had numerous health problems since. No joke.

I was bit by one when I was 15. 5 surgeries, 3 months of healing, and one huge scar later, I was finally back to normal health.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn spiders

I got bit by a spider in boot camp at the rifle range in San Diego in 1969. A spot the size of a quarter went rotten on my shin bone. Still have a faint scar. It was probably a brown recluse that got me.

Put meat tenderizer on spider and bug bites. It draws the poison out and gives ya soft skin!

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Just as an FYI..... you know spiders very rarely even bite humans right? It has been likened to a person trying to bite the wall..... waste of time. Most cases of 'necrotic' spider bites have recently been thought to more than likely be MRSA. The brown recluse spider got a really bad rap.... I cant find the article again, but an article I read stated that there were 400+ brown recluse bites reported by doctors in I want to say 2012 in North Carolina alone. Oddly enough, the scientists who study spiders had only ever located 3 brown recluse spiders in NC. Busy spiders eh? :thumbup:

There.... good deed done for the day..... whew..... :thumbup:

A guy I know lost his adult son due the bite of a brown recluse spider.

It's really something to think that an insect that small can kill a human being for no purpose at all on the spiders part and then cause the additional life long pain of parents losing their 'child'.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.wired.com/2013/11/poor-misunderstood-brown-recluse/

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=97804

http://www.urgentcareoftexas.com/_literature/UrgentCare-SpiderBite.pdf

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp

The brown recluse spider, is well..... reclusive, hence the name. While Im not saying anyone is lying or wrong, I will say again that most 'spider bites' are something else to begin with, and the ones that are real are typically not an issue.

The big scare of brown recluse spiders in the 1990s led a lot of the medical field to deem any unexplained skin lesion as a spider bite. If there was necrosis involved in the wound.... well, it must have been a brown recluse.

Now they are pretty convinced that most of the reported 'spider bites' are just a MRSA infection due to some break in the skin. Be it a mosquito bite (which is far more likely than a spider bite) or what have you.

The internet is full of good information if you read scholarly type articles, and not yahoo answers. ;) :thumbup:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
http://www.wired.com/2013/11/poor-misunderstood-brown-recluse/

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=97804

http://www.urgentcareoftexas.com/_literature/UrgentCare-SpiderBite.pdf

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp

The brown recluse spider, is well..... reclusive, hence the name. While Im not saying anyone is lying or wrong, I will say again that most 'spider bites' are something else to begin with, and the ones that are real are typically not an issue.

The big scare of brown recluse spiders in the 1990s led a lot of the medical field to deem any unexplained skin lesion as a spider bite. If there was necrosis involved in the wound.... well, it must have been a brown recluse.

Now they are pretty convinced that most of the reported 'spider bites' are just a MRSA infection due to some break in the skin. Be it a mosquito bite (which is far more likely than a spider bite) or what have you.

The internet is full of good information if you read scholarly type articles, and not yahoo answers. ;) :thumbup:

I hear you.

The young man was digging around in a paper bag for a roll of plumber's tape & felt the bite & then looked in the bag & saw the spider.

So... I'm fairly sure that this was the real deal, but... I was not there. The story did however come from his Father.

But maybe it was a coincidence & he stuck his hand on a stable & got MRSA & the spider was just an innocent bystander.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear you.

The young man was digging around in a paper bag for a roll of plumber's tape & felt the bite & then looked in the bag & saw the spider.

So... I'm fairly sure that this was the real deal, but... I was not there. The story did however come from his Father.

But maybe it was a coincidence & he stuck his hand on a stable & got MRSA & the spider was just an innocent bystander.

MRSA is much more common than most realize. It's just like cancer. we all get it everyday. It's when we have trouble getting rid of it that we develop problems with it. Some places have very little MRSA, some have a lot. It's all how we fight it off with our immune systems.

The man you are referring to very well could have been bit by a spider, and then got the infection in the wound. No real way to tell.

When I was in the Navy, for a while I did testing on the alarm systems where the nuclear missles are stored. Very dark and climate controlled bunkers. Those bunkers were full of black widow spiders. Use to give us the creeps to go in there around them. As scared as we all were of getting bit, no one ever was. Spiders only bite as a last resort.

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AK guy

MCRD was in San Diego.
Boot Camp Rifle range was at Camp Pendelton.
Platoon 1060at MCRD 1969,
Yankee Com pany at Camp Pendleton.
Vietnamese Language school Monterey Ca.
Meritorius Combat Promotion Vietnam.
Semper Fi.

Oh Ya, Shane will be okay.