SVB cheating? Shaw/SVB Derby 9 Ball

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of you can be stupid and think that all of the information is included in a DVD that was issued several years ago and doesn't work very well. How about you accept my challenge above if you know so much??

He's back. And going for the record.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's the article. Since it's a feature story it's available for free on the website.

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/new_current_issue/mar_18/bb_index.php
For those interested, here's my original uncut version of the article:

"How to Rack and Break 9-Ball Like a Pro" (feature article, BD, March, 2018).

One thing pertinent to this thread that the editor cut (probably to not insult the players, devout followers of the players, or sponsors of the players) is below. I've also included links to pertinent resources for convenience.

If you were at the Derby City Classic (DCC) this year, or if you have seen online videos NV J.2 and NV J.3, you will know that there was a huge controversy dealing with rack manipulation at the event. If you want to learn more, see the links in the YouTube video descriptions of NV J.2 and NV J.3 that provide easy access to a video of the last rack of the infamous match between Jayson Shaw and Shane VanBoening, the photo of the suspect rack Jayson captured with his phone during the match, and Shane’s Facebook reply to the accusations. Diagram 6 is the cheat Jayson was accusing Shane of using during their match. Dennis Orcollo was using the same cheat during the tournament. Shane and Dennis were the only players not breaking from the side, and they were fairly consistently pocketing the wing ball with a square hit from the “box” while also getting shape on the 1 in the upper corner. That creates a big advantage; although (maybe rightfully so), the advantage wasn’t big enough for either of them to win the tournament.

If a referee racks for you and there are gaps in the rack, either by accident or because it is difficult or impossible to get a tight rack with given conditions, or if an unscrupulous opponent racks for you and purposely creates gaps that might be unfavorable, then the knowledge presented in this article, on VENT-I, and in Joe Tucker’s material can help you choose the best CB position and type of hit to take advantage of the gaps. That is called “reading the rack.” Obviously, you need to carefully inspect the rack before breaking, if that is allowed. This year’s DCC was a “rack your own” event. If you are racking for yourself, and you purposely create gaps in certain positions, and break in a style that takes advantage of those gaps, rack after rack, then you are blatantly cheating with “rack manipulation,” which is unethical and unprofessional. Below is a pertinent entry from the official rules of pool (The WPA World Standardized Rules). The key phrases pertaining to both rack manipulation and pattern racking are bolded. I think it is crystal clear to most people reading this rule that it is illegal to manipulate rack gaps or ball patterns.

2.2 Nine Ball Rack
The object balls are racked as tightly as possible in a diamond shape, with the one ball at the apex of the diamond and on the foot spot and the nine ball in the middle of the diamond. The other balls will be placed in the diamond without purposeful or intentional pattern.

Enjoy,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
All of the rack manipulation information is kept very secret.
Not true. Although, it is true that many (if not most) pool players (even many pros) do have limited knowledge of some of the info. As Bob pointed out, Joe Tuckers' stuff covers all of the rack reading and manipulation stuff. The following resources also cover all important basics, including many of the "new" tricks and cheats:

VENT-I: The Break

NV J.3 - 9-Ball Rack Manipulation and Breaking Cheats

pattern racking and ball-gap effects page

how to get a tight rack

How to Rack and Break 9-Ball Like a Pro

... less than 1% of pool players can actually use a wooden rack to demonstrate the same outcomes on a consistent basis over many different tables.
Agreed.

Regards,
Dave

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this in tournaments or just in practice matches?

Well, I have seen it mostly in league and club play. However, I believe the racking cheats aren't known by so many people over here and those who commit them don't talk about it. That's my impression, at least.

I haven't seen many arguments in major tournaments like in the US yet. This does not prove that there aren't issues, IMHO. I have a hunch that Europe is slightly behind in the rack cheating department. What I see most is pretty "clumsy" pattern racking against the opponent, RYO is not too common. I don't know if there is so much gapping. Hard to tell because usually you don't get to see other people's racks up close. I haven't played top players so I wouldn't know.