SVB in Milwaukee NYE...suggestions?

CrisDeLaGarza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB will be in the Milwaukee area on new years eve. Anyone have good suggestions on where he can go to play and/or find some action?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Saw in another thread-High Pockets/Milwaukee.
Do a search on Milwaukee it probably has alot more info, I just did a quick check.

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
There are 2 places to play in the Milwaukee Area. Romines Hi-Pockets and Lennys.

Lenny's isn't in the best neighborhood, but had some good players.
2715 W Wisconsin Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53208
(414) 344-5666

Romine's is a HUGE pool hall with every kind of table
http://www.romineshighpockets.com/home/

Gotta remember that people in Wisconsin love to drink more than they do play pool, so getting games on NYE might not be as easy as usual.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
CrisDeLaGarza said:
SVB will be in the Milwaukee area on new years eve. Anyone have good suggestions on where he can go to play and/or find some action?

Cristina - great to see you posting here and Happy New Year to you & Shane.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Romines

I haven't been to Romines for a long time, but was there just a few days ago. It's right near 27th and College Ave.

It's a nice place with tons of tables. Drinks were a bit pricy at $7.50 per mixed drink though.

As for action, I'm not sure. George Palw???. (not sure of his full last name) was there playing on the table next to me. I think that he is a former pro that gives lessons now. Although I'm not sure if he matches up a lot right now.

I know that Willie Munson used to hang-out there as well, but I would think that Willie would need quite a spot from SVB.

When I used to play leagues there a long time ago, I got to play against a lot of the better players -- but I'm not sure which of them hang-out there now. Although, I would think that Romines would be the place for SVB to go if he want's to find some action.

suprnva

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane might be able to get Tommy Pawolski in a game giving up some weight. Get the game right and he'll at least play a few hundred a set if he's around. Matt Diaber might play some cheap one-pocket with the right spot as well. Terry Romine (the owner of Romine's High Pockets) might gamble a little as well. That's about all I know for regular gambler's in Milwaukee. No matter what, Shane is giving up weight to anyone he plays in Wisconsin (except Larry Nevel, but he's not gonna be around Millwaukee) so be prepared.

If you want to take a drive an hour and a half North to Oshkosh you might be able to make a game on the bar table for something cheap ($100 a set possibly) if you come to The Varsity Club. Or, if you wanna give some weight playing banks on a loose table you might be able to snap off the owner of the Magnet for a couple dimes if you get him at the right moment. If you feel like heading up this way, shoot me a PM and I'll get you my number and directions.

Southdakotakid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
stuckart said:
There are 2 places to play in the Milwaukee Area. Romines Hi-Pockets and Lennys.

2715 W Wisconsin Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53208
(414) 344-5666

Gotta remember that people in Wisconsin love to drink more than they do play pool, so getting games on NYE might not be as easy as usual.
Ill be at lennys or Romines about 6 pm. hopefully its a good place to be at for new years eve.. If anyone wants to play, Ill be there. SVB

Southdakotakid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
stuckart said:

2715 W Wisconsin Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53208
(414) 344-5666

Ill be at lennys or Romines about 6 pm. hopefully its a good place to be at for new years eve.. If anyone wants to play, Ill be there. SVB:)

CrisDeLaGarza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
watchez said:
Cristina - great to see you posting here and Happy New Year to you & Shane.

Thanks, Watchez...I hope you are having a good holiday as well!

Will we see you in derby?

CrisDeLaGarza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ktown D said:
Your avatar is great.

THanks! That's Frank, the Pool Dawg mascot, who occasionally makes trips out to the OBCues tour where the picture was taken. Samm Diep took that pic but I love it so I stole it :)

Patrick53212

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recommend Lenny's for action. There are probably more hustlers in Lenny's per square foot than anywhere else in the city! "Big Jay" is a local monster player and that would probably be one of your best matchups. Also, "Slim" who works behind the counter could call on some of the other local players. The action table is the first table you come to in front of the counter. Most if not all of the action in there takes place on the 9-ft Gold Crown tables. They do have a snooker table and some barboxes as well. I cannot remember if they have a 3-cushion table or not. You should find action for $100 sets and up. You may even find someone willing to stake some of the locals for considerably more. The games that are most often played will be 9-ball, banks, and one pocket.

For barbox action, I recommend Shepherds on Schlinger in West Allis. West Allis is just outside of the city on the Southwest side. If Kevin Stanelle is there, he may play you himself or make the call to a number of other champions that frequent the joint are who are in the area. That is another "sharkpit". Kevin is a local living legend and reportedly beat the the mess out of Keith McCready back in the day on a barbox during a matchup at the Next Best Thing. That bar is no longer open under that name.

I have not had much luck matching up at Romine's. I know that there are some solid players that do frequent there and again I think that a phone call can draw them out. However, you may be able to get action at Lenny's without anyone ever even knowing who you are. At Shepherds there may be people that recognize you and certainly so at Romine's as well.

poolstar31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Patrick53212 said:
However, you may be able to get action at Lenny's without anyone ever even knowing who you are. At Shepherds there may be people that recognize you and certainly so at Romine's as well.

Doubtful!
Anybody that plays or bets 100+knows who SVB is. LOL!

Patrick53212

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trust me on this one. I know a lot of areas where people will bet $50 or more on a single game let alone a set. I can guarantee you that many of the players that use this site have never set foot in many of the bars where I play. I have not seen many of the area league and tournament players in Lenny's. They are also only there during the day if there at all. "Big Jay" or Willie Munson may know who SVB is on sight and would definitely know him by name. However, apart from them, it is very doubtful that anyone else would know him by name let alone by sight.

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
I know the Olympia tourney is going on now, but I was just curious if Shane was able to get some action at either of the rooms. It would be good to know for future.

I'm heading to Wisconsin in a few weeks and wasn't sure which rooms to visit.

Thanks guys!

cscott67

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes we know what/who SVB is! ;o)

My bird dog said he didn't show up last night(at Lennys), but we will keep our eyes open! Olympia is a good bet right now as there is a tourney going on this weekend on bar boxes. Plenty of players will be there, Scott