Table Cameras

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Which cameras do you guys run for your table cam? How does it power up? Is it just HDMI to a TV? Do some come with ceiling mounts or how did you mount them? Any that are just terrible and I should avoid? Spill the beans fellas!

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

R0B

IPhone 12 Pro Max on a tall tripod. Screen Mirror to my TV. The phone will record hours of footage that I can transfer to the Macbook.

Option 2, Screen Mirror directly to the Macbook for storage.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
I've been through two inexpensive cameras, both had exposure issues, and actually quit recording past 15 seconds,even when using corrective software. Made the balls impossible to see with blue cloth a bright table light.

I bought an adjustable arm phone mount and just use my Pixel 4XL. It's got better video than the other two cams, and it's easier to go live on FB.
Screenshot_20210310-141625_2.png

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure that's an option. But I'm not interested in using a phone as I would like it to be a permanent mounted cam. Thanks though
Well there goes my suggestion. 😂 I just use my phone. I’m with you on the mounted cam though. I may do that soon myself.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had maybe 4 cameras over the years mounted on my wall/ceiling.

If you mount on a wall (near ceiling height), you should be fine with any camcorder. 1080 or the newer 4k ones. This is the view most live streamers use. You can get one new for probably 150 range now.

If you mount to the ceiling with 8-9' ceilings, you will have problems with the lens. You will need a wide angle lens. For this, you can get a DSLR camera, and a wide angle lens used for indoor real-estate listing photography. This is my current setup and I like it a lot. I got a used DSLR for 150, and the lens was 200.

You will need a power cord adapter for either type, so you can leave it on for hours at a time and not have it drain the battery.

To get the video out, you have two options: First is to climb a ladder or on your table and pull the SD card out and load it into your computer. Second is to do what live streamers do, which is use the HDMI out from the camera, and plug that into your computer via an HDMI capture box/card. This adds another layer of complexity. But, you can leave the camera turned on 24/7 and start and stop recording from your computer, and save the footage directly to the computer's hard drive.

I'd personally recommend climbing the ladder if your are starting out. The live capture stuff has a large learning curve.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IPhone 12 Pro Max on a tall tripod. Screen Mirror to my TV. The phone will record hours of footage that I can transfer to the Macbook.

Option 2, Screen Mirror directly to the Macbook for storage.

I didn't know of these options. When you record the mirror to the Mac, are you using something like QuickTime screen capture?

Reactions: R0B

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
I see the cameras are mounted to square tubing with a flat metal plate attached to the tubing. They are about 7 feet high and they are connected to the electronic score keeper.. When there is a questionable hit on a billiard they just rewind and have a look.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Thanks y'all! My mounting location height is just over 7ft on an angled vaulted ceiling so height shouldnt be a concern. I was wondering about the wide angle thing and all too. Guess I have some more research to do for the time being. I do like the idea of it being powered at all times too.

Google here I come.. haha

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have normal HD USB port webcam installed to adjustable tripod that goes from 2 foot to 6 foot in height. I put it on table close by. Then i just put my laptop on it when i record and use OBS to record it. When all is done 1st time it is just plug and record after that. Sometimes i use my phone to record. It have leather protective case that can be turned up so phone stands on position and then just find spot for it.