Table on a tile floor question

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
I've had a small carpet under my table in its current position, on an otherwise tile floor. It's been stable, hasn't slipped, and the level has remained good.

It's very worn, though, and needs to come out. I don't know if I want to replace it (and run the risk of another carpet fraying at the edges, or having different footing while playing) or switch to non-slip furniture pads.

Has anyone had trouble with the table moving around on those things? Do they stay compressed pretty well (so as not to affect the level)?

Thanks.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I've had a small carpet under my table in its current position, on an otherwise tile floor. It's been stable, hasn't slipped, and the level has remained good.

It's very worn, though, and needs to come out. I don't know if I want to replace it (and run the risk of another carpet fraying at the edges, or having different footing while playing) or switch to non-slip furniture pads.

Has anyone had trouble with the table moving around on those things? Do they stay compressed pretty well (so as not to affect the level)?

Thanks.

others with more knowledge on your specific question will likely chime in but I wanted to touch on another consideration re: removing carpet from under the table.

I've seen a couple of times when just tile floor was under a table and tiles ended up getting cracked due to balls that flew off the table.

Both instances that I have first hand knowledge of, neither guy had spare tile, just in case, and both had to go try to match some to repair.

best,
brian kc

Floater1

Registered
Flooring

I experienced a similar problem when I renovated the room where my table is. I did not want carpeting and was recommended a porcelain tile floor. This stuff was hard like a rock! I purchased two pieces before buying and then took it home in the back yard and threw old pool balls at it and then struck it with a hammer. To my surprise nothing happened. At least I was comfortable if a pool ball fell off the table there would be no damage. I had it installed and now after three months I have had no issues. Hope this helps.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
others with more knowledge on your specific question will likely chime in but I wanted to touch on another consideration re: removing carpet from under the table.

I've seen a couple of times when just tile floor was under a table and tiles ended up getting cracked due to balls that flew off the table.

Both instances that I have first hand knowledge of, neither guy had spare tile, just in case, and both had to go try to match some to repair.

best,
brian kc

Definitely a concern. I have had the occasional ball fly off the table, but neither ball nor tile was at all damaged. Not to say it couldn't happen tomorrow, but it hasn't happened yet.

The carpet I have only goes to just under the edge of the table. I'm either going to replace it with a slightly larger rug or pull it all out and use furniture grippy thingies, assuming they will do the job. I would assume so.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Pool Room

The room I grew up playing at had 16 GCI's all on carpet. Room got allot of play during the 60's and the carpet was shot. He cut out around each table the, then he trimmed the remaining with metal. It was in the shadow area of the table, never walked on, only stepped on or vacuumed its entire life.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

best,
brian kc

I have a Pool Table on tile. So, I put a 6-8 foot swath around my table, so the pool balls won't break the tile or get scratched. This pic shows the old carpet strips. Now I have 3 ft square carpet tiles.

Attachments

• Inola Pool Table.JPG
    Inola Pool Table.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 3,170

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I have a Pool Table on tile. So, I put a 6-8 foot swath around my table, so the pool balls won't break the tile or get scratched. This pic shows the old carpet strips. Now I have 3 ft square carpet tiles.

this is what i had at one time in the garage, and plan to do so again

its great on the feet

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member

Thanks. What did you use to keep the table from sliding? Just furniture grippers, or pieces of carpet underneath, or nothing?

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have my table on a tile floor over concrete (in basement). I did ask for some fabric or soft material to be put in between the table and the tiles. My reasoning was to eliminate a sound resonating on the table when a ball rolled. On a previous table, without this damper the balls rolling made sound because (IMO) the ball on a hard slate indirectly in contact with another hard service (tile and concrete) pick up a vibration or sound. This does not happen now. My table has been level for 6 years. And I have not damaged any balls when they come off the table and hitting the tile floor.

Hope this helps