Table Play Question?

plshrk22

A Holes Billiards
Silver Member
Alright I just picked up an old Ebonite table and its nothing fancy at all! I got it for $350. I know some will say I should have saved and gotten something nicer but its in my garage and I dont want to care if it gets abused. When I have a house with a room for a table I will get a nicer table. There are soem weird things about this table though. It wont hold english at all which I know it probably the original felt :) and when I want to kick the cueball off of the rail with a little english it will not hold the english. Think this may also me due to the crappy felt. Now the weird thing is both of the short rails when I hit a ball at any kind of speed the ball jumps off the rails which gets very annoying. I am going to have it recovered soon. Should I just have new rails put on also while I am at it? I think the rails are to low, that is why they are jumping on me.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
plshrk22 said:
Alright I just picked up an old Ebonite table and its nothing fancy at all! I got it for $350. I know some will say I should have saved and gotten something nicer but its in my garage and I dont want to care if it gets abused. When I have a house with a room for a table I will get a nicer table. There are soem weird things about this table though. It wont hold english at all which I know it probably the original felt :) and when I want to kick the cueball off of the rail with a little english it will not hold the english. Think this may also me due to the crappy felt. Now the weird thing is both of the short rails when I hit a ball at any kind of speed the ball jumps off the rails which gets very annoying. I am going to have it recovered soon. Should I just have new rails put on also while I am at it? I think the rails are to low, that is why they are jumping on me.
I have delivered, and setup tables worth thousands of dollars...in garages, so don't let the garage setting fool you when it comes to deciding what the quality of a table should be. With the table you have now, you're about to open pandora's box with who ever works on it. You can either look at the $350 you spent on the table as a lesson, or downpayment on what is to come. The table you have is a throwaway table and was built as such by the manufacture, that's all I have to say.

Glen

plshrk22

A Holes Billiards
Silver Member
So dont put any money into this table? Not even a refelt? I will play on it until I can save the money to get a decent table then!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
plshrk22 said:
So dont put any money into this table? Not even a refelt? I will play on it until I can save the money to get a decent table then!
If you just want to hit balls, then hit balls on it, but...if you want to play pool...then wait, save your money...and get a real pool table, that's what I'm saying.

Glen

plshrk22

A Holes Billiards
Silver Member
I really appreciate your honesty. I think I will just put it back up for sale actually :). I just found a Fischer? Never heard of it but it has new felt 8' and he wants $650 for it.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
plshrk22 said:
I really appreciate your honesty. I think I will just put it back up for sale actually :). I just found a Fischer? Never heard of it but it has new felt 8' and he wants $650 for it.
Fisher was made a while back, promoted by Cliff Thayer, and is a good table for the money you quoted. I sold an 8ft Fisher a while back for $1,000.00 recovered, delivered, and setup.

Glen

realkingcobra

Silver Member
plshrk22 said:
Table is back up for sale! Thanks again! I figure if you are spending just as much for a refelt as you spent on the table then that should tell you something. So you think this fisher wouldnt be a bad deal? Here is the link. http://boise.craigslist.org/spo/453160779.html
Check and see, but I believe you'll find that it's a one piece slate, and it's 7/8" of an inch thick. Fisher didn't make a great table, but they didn't build a junk table either. I'd have no complaint playing on one.

Glen

realkingcobra

Silver Member
plshrk22 said:
Table is back up for sale! Thanks again! I figure if you are spending just as much for a refelt as you spent on the table then that should tell you something. So you think this fisher wouldnt be a bad deal? Here is the link. http://boise.craigslist.org/spo/453160779.html
I called the number, to ask a couple of questions about that table, and the number supplied is disconected...so just make sure you have the table in sight before you pay for it.

Glen

plshrk22

A Holes Billiards
Silver Member
I actually just got off the phone with him. 208 Right? He invited me to come over and play on it. I would love to pickup a used Gold Crown but the pool table market is not very wide here. I dont think I will have a problem selling the table I just purchased for what I bought it for. It would be good for the Novice player but I just was not happy with it and then I asked you and you sealed the deal for me :).

magnetardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I remember correctly wasn't it Fisher that made some tables with a marble playing surface instead of slate?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
magnetardo said:
If I remember correctly wasn't it Fisher that made some tables with a marble playing surface instead of slate?
Yes, some of the marble playing surfaces looked white with blue/green speckles all over it.

Glen