Table Size Based on This Room

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
You're right - thanks for catching it. I had transcribed the results manually and made some typos, I guess. It happened in several rows - I've replaced them with the actual formulas so they're all correct now.

Thanks again,

pj
chgo
The formula is what you’d expect: playing area dimension + 2 x cuelength + 2 x strokeroom.

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I love snooker and have been reading that a 7' for snooker really isn't a thing. Even with a english style table and smaller balls. So I'm leaning towards 8 foot for snooker. Also, a 8' English style table is smaller than 8' American style. ...
An "English eight ball" table, also called "blackball", may be what you need. For this purpose it looks just like a snooker table with rounded pockets. They seem to come in both 7-foot and 6-foot lengths. Here's a picture:

CropperCapture[632].jpg

Vidarious

Registered
An "English eight ball" table, also called "blackball", may be what you need. For this purpose it looks just like a snooker table with rounded pockets. They seem to come in both 7-foot and 6-foot lengths. Here's a picture:

View attachment 554810

I was thinking the same. An English (UK) style 8 foot table is actually sized between an American style 7' and 8' at 84" x 42"

Reference: https://www.snookerandpooltablecompany.com/room-size-guide.html

However i've tried locally and no dealers sell English style tables.

Yesterday someone suggested to me that I turn the table about 30-40 degrees on a angle in the room with the idea that a player is much less likely to shoot from the corners to the side pockets. Rotating like this placed the "problem" areas" towards the corners and left the sides playable with a 58" cue. I was blown away when I moved my mock up around and had so much extra room!

I'll post a picture later of the mock up.

Vidarious

Registered
Here is the mockup I did rotated. Ignore the mess, I'm currently ripping out all the old drop ceiling tiles and replacing them.

Attachments

• IMG_2841.jpg
    IMG_2841.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2840.jpg
    IMG_2840.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 123

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking the same. An English (UK) style 8 foot table is actually sized between an American style 7' and 8' at 84" x 42"

Reference: https://www.snookerandpooltablecompany.com/room-size-guide.html

However i've tried locally and no dealers sell English style tables.

Yesterday someone suggested to me that I turn the table about 30-40 degrees on a angle in the room with the idea that a player is much less likely to shoot from the corners to the side pockets. Rotating like this placed the "problem" areas" towards the corners and left the sides playable with a 58" cue. I was blown away when I moved my mock up around and had so much extra room!

I'll post a picture later of the mock up.

Depending on how desperate you are for a specific table you could get one shipped from the UK.

You can definitely get 7 ft snooker tables (as opposed to English Pool tables) if that is your preference.

As others have mentioned, you can also get 6 ft tables, either standing or foldaway (but with a 'proper' top, i.e. correct pockets etc, albeit the bed is typically mdf).

One thing you could look at (depending on whether you are desperate to play anything, or specifically snooker) is a Bar Billairds table like this:

bar-billiards-supreme-o-HEY-010-2-lg.jpg

You only ever shoot from one end, so it would fit, without needing a short cue!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I do more research I agree, 9' is not in my future. I'm struggling with many questions right now. My goal is to get a similar style table my grand father use to have when I was a child but I haven't got a clue what size or style it was. I just remember we played snooker on it but I don't believe it was a snooker table.

I do recall loving to play with the cues that were much thinner (I dislike the fatter cues) so I feel we were playing with english style cues. That being said, I live in Canada and I don't seem to be able to find a store that sells english style tables - they all seem american (but they don't label which type they sell).

So I'm thinking I need a 8', american style table with smaller balls and skinny tipped cues?

Would 8' work?

Edit- so I see someone else had this same idea but I did not notice the post ....

If it was a snooker style setup but smaller, the english 8 ball (blackball) tables are common in 6 feet size and similar cut pockets to a snooker table. Maybe you can find one of those 6 footers around.

You can't use a standard pool table with smaller balls since the rails are made for 2.25 size balls and any other size would make rebounds off the rails not work correctly. Plus the smaller balls would make missing a shot almost impossible hehe. But you can use thinner shafts, some of the normal pool game shafts are fairly close to the snooker sizes, standard pool shafts are 13mm, but many are in the 11.5 mm range.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackball_(pool)

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited: