Table size question

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
Used search function, couldn't find what I was looking for.

Have the opportunity to get an 8' Connelly table for free. It needs a set up, cloth and rails. I'm opting for Sim cloth and Accu rails.

I play on 9' tables when I'm out with friends and 7' tables in league. I don't notice a big different in play besides ball congestion and speed switching between the two. Angles for banks and diamond counting is the same for well kept 7 & 9 foots in my experience.

My question is, would having an 8' table hinder my play because of size or all 3 sizes interchangeable with angles? I know ball congestion and speed will play a factor...

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Have the opportunity to get an 8' Connelly table for free. It needs a set up, cloth and rails. I'm opting for Sim cloth and Accu rails.

I play on 9' tables when I'm out with friends and 7' tables in league. I don't notice a big different in play besides ball congestion and speed switching between the two. Angles for banks and diamond counting is the same for well kept 7 & 9 foots in my experience.

My question is, would having an 8' table hinder my play because of size or all 3 sizes interchangeable with angles? I know ball congestion and speed will play a factor...

Considering angles only... they are all twice as long as they are wide - so angles
will not change.

BTW - there are 2 sizes of 8 ft tables.

Dale

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
Thank you. This is the 8' standard not the 8' pro. Play area is 8' x 4'.

Thanks again!

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member

When I was playing well twenty years ago, I practiced on 9" foot tables before competing on 9-footers. Before playing on 7-footers, I liked to practice on the 8-footers.

I found that playing on the 8" tables made it easier to adjust from 9 to 7 or vice versa.

The main difference was usually in the cloth, but sometimes the rails and balls...

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
I love to play 9' and play league on the 7'. I find the transition down is easier than up for me. I just don't want to ruin my speed by playing more on a 8'. But then again I'd still be playing league on a 7' Diamond. Hoping I can get the rails cut to make tight pockets too. There is a table guy locally I've heard nothing but great things about and saw the tables he just redid at a local hall. They look and play amazing.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
If the choice is between an 8-ft table and no table...I'd opt for the 8-footer. Not playing will hurt you game more than playing on a different size table.

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
I didnt know the difference on the 8 and pro sizes. I thought it was a rail thickness.

I agree with a table versus none for keeping my game up...

Hobbes

Registered
I have an 8' Connelly and I absolutely love it. My league plays on bar boxes too and after playing on my table the 7 footers seem, not easy, but certainly not as tough. I don't regret getting an 8' table at all.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a room where an 8-footer is the only option, actually the room is a bit tight for an 8-footer.

What I have found is that if you tighten up the pockets on the smaller table, you end up needing exactly the same angular and throw accuracy as you need on the larger table. So no detriment there.

The other thing you want is for the home table to have the effective speed of the away table. So if the away 7-footer is using slow cloth, you need the home table to be faster than the 7-footer. And if the 9-foot away table uses medium fast cloth (860), you want the home table to be slightly slower (860-HR). This way you use the same stroke energy (and speed) at both sets of tables.

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
I have a room where an 8-footer is the only option, actually the room is a bit tight for an 8-footer.

What I have found is that if you tighten up the pockets on the smaller table, you end up needing exactly the same angular and throw accuracy as you need on the larger table. So no detriment there.

The other thing you want is for the home table to have the effective speed of the away table. So if the away 7-footer is using slow cloth, you need the home table to be faster than the 7-footer. And if the 9-foot away table uses medium fast cloth (860), you want the home table to be slightly slower (860-HR). This way you use the same stroke energy (and speed) at both sets of tables.

I'm wanting to set up the home table with Simonis. The bar boxes we play on are Diamond tables and we all know how fast and tight those are!
The 9 foots I play on locally are Centennials with Simonis (I believe). Both play really fast.

The poolhall we were playing out of were Valley bar boxes that are very well kept. I have played some really poor kept tables and I have my main 3 places I play out of now specifically for the tables.

Bert Gordon

Registered
I have an 8 foot Brunswick at home and love it. Don't worry about transitioning from 7-8-9 ft tables. You know how to play, man. Jump on the opportunity to own your own table and watch your game improve.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you. This is the 8' standard not the 8' pro. Play area is 8' x 4'.

Thanks again!

It is a 'Home Style' 4 x 8, so, the playing area is 44" x 88".

A regulation 4 x 8 is 46 x 92.

9 footers are 50 x 100.

Dale(tape measure at the ready)