Tamarind and Ebony 8-point into Maple - just finished

Otterman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just finished this one. 4 long points of Tamarind, 4 short ebony points into birdseye maple, copper rings around 8-slot decorative rings with 5 veneers at each slot, 3/8-10 modified pin and black leather wrap.
IMG_E6765 (2).JPG

IMG_6763 (3).JPG

IMG_6764 (3).JPG

IMG_6774 (2).JPG

IMG_6773 2mp.JPG

IMG_6780 2mp.JPG

Otterman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
oh thats nice, awesome work
Wow. That tamarind is very cool with the maple!
Beautiful work.
What do you call your Cues?
Thanks, folks. Really appreciate the feedback.

Mr. Webb, first let me offer a big thanks to you and the other cuemakers active on the "Ask the Cuemaker" forum. What I've learned from that one source has been a huge help to us this year.

We're calling them Ott Custom Cues (father and son venture, Terry and Micah Ott out of Blanchard, OK). We initially just wanted to be able to build a few cues for ourselves, but we really enjoy it and there's only so many cues we can keep, so we hope to start selling a few. Plus, if I don't recoup at least a portion of what I've spent on equipment this year, my wife may may murder me in my sleep....

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mr. Webb, first let me offer a big thanks to you and the other cuemakers active on the "Ask the Cuemaker" forum. What I've learned from that one source has been a huge help to us this year.

We're calling them Ott Custom Cues (father and son venture, Terry and Micah Ott out of Blanchard, OK). We initially just wanted to be able to build a few cues for ourselves, but we really enjoy it and there's only so many cues we can keep, so we hope to start selling a few. Plus, if I don't recoup at least a portion of what I've spent on equipment this year, my wife may may murder me in my sleep....
Awesome. Nice to meet you and I wish you the best of luck.
Ahhh THE WIFE
I learned long ago. If you want to sleep at nite. Keep her happy.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just finished this one. 4 long points of Tamarind, 4 short ebony points into birdseye maple, copper rings around 8-slot decorative rings with 5 veneers at each slot, 3/8-10 modified pin and black leather wrap.
View attachment 574946

View attachment 574948

View attachment 574949

View attachment 574950

View attachment 574951

View attachment 574952
LOVE the tamarind and i have ALWAYS loved mixed points(different woods) ...stick with that,because not many people do it...

Otterman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really classy looking wand. Very nice work.
LOVE the tamarind and i have ALWAYS loved mixed points(different woods) ...stick with that,because not many people do it...
Thanks, guys!

Can't take credit for the point work on this one. The prong came from my fellow Okies at Prather Cue Parts. Been primarily working with pre-made prongs until I get a bit more equipment and space so I can make my own. Just sold a car so I can dedicate an entire 1-car garage to this endeavor, so that should be coming pretty soon.

Otterman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Super sharp cue!!! Will you have anything for sale coming up soon?
Thanks! Likely will be selling this particular cue soon. Haven't had much spare time for building new cues the last couple months, and have spent that time expanding our capabilities in the shop and experimenting with different construction and finishing processes. Built a spray box with exhaust fan that rotates 3-4 cues and removes the toxic fumes for applying automotive clear coat. Also picked up a small CNC router for making ring billets and simple inlays and have been expanding my very limited programming knowledge to accomplish that. Spent much of the last 2 weekends modifying it to cut point grooves as well. I'd rather be constructing cues, but all the time and effort should give us more control and variety in our cue designs.

Would also love to be selling more cues, but right now we're just concentrating on producing the best cue we possibly can. All that said, I really like the way this Tamarind cue tuned out. It looks good, plays really nicely and just feels good in the hands. Have 1 more completed that I haven't had time to post that may be for sale soon if I can bring myself to part with it...

50725616217_d14deb5179_k.jpg

50724793568_5703d47781_k.jpg

50725616192_b710f6f035_k.jpg

Jbyrd

Registered
Thanks! Likely will be selling this particular cue soon. Haven't had much spare time for building new cues the last couple months, and have spent that time expanding our capabilities in the shop and experimenting with different construction and finishing processes. Built a spray box with exhaust fan that rotates 3-4 cues and removes the toxic fumes for applying automotive clear coat. Also picked up a small CNC router for making ring billets and simple inlays and have been expanding my very limited programming knowledge to accomplish that. Spent much of the last 2 weekends modifying it to cut point grooves as well. I'd rather be constructing cues, but all the time and effort should give us more control and variety in our cue designs.

Would also love to be selling more cues, but right now we're just concentrating on producing the best cue we possibly can. All that said, I really like the way this Tamarind cue tuned out. It looks good, plays really nicely and just feels good in the hands. Have 1 more completed that I haven't had time to post that may be for sale soon if I can bring myself to part with it...

View attachment 587050

View attachment 587051

View attachment 587052
That is one beautiful cue. Ring sets are amazing. 👍🏼

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

With work like that you should definitely make some to sell, great design and wood choice.

Otterman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the positive feedback, folks. Much appreciated. We have several cues in the works but may be another month or so before they're ready. Here's a pic of a cue we finished last month that was a late Christmas present for a friend. Built from a Schmelke full-splice blank of Bocote into Purpleheart, copper and phenolic rings throughout with a copper 3/8-10 pin. Fairly simple build but really happy how it turned out and it plays great.

51047919406_9552819af1_k.jpg