Taom Chalk

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Something wrong with this thread. No disagreements, arguments,disputes, name calling … this thread sucks wind.
Hang on here.... I have just very recently been called "arrogant dickhead", "condescending arrogant ass", "annoying", "snarky", "ignorance+hubris", "purposely obtuse".

Maybe it's because I haven't bothered entertaining the one sided bile.

phreaticus

Lol the guy that thinks chalk will change your tip shape calling someone a tool.

This is great stuff
Another entertained customer, like JV. His vitriol & pompous attitude vanished when presented with more detailed info from credible sources... you're apparently not quite as quick on the uptake. If you are actually interested in an intelligent discussion on the subject vs just taking keyboard pot shots - then take a few min to review the stuff I posted earlier and then come back and help us all with a rational explanation on how abrasive chalk can't do what I and others experience on softer/medium tips.

We're all adults here. No one is talking about using chalk to actually shape your tip. And no one is talking about drilling your tip mindlessly into chalk like bangers do. But after original shaping to ones prefered shape, proper use of abrasive older style chalks will indeed help to maintain that shape. It's not like I invented the idea, this is somewhat well known and obvious. This discussion is bordering on ridiculous; the fact that this is a contentious issue is pretty wild. Have you never seen cheap beater house cues in dive bars with tips that are actually nicely shaped and well worn, and ferrules with deep blue scratches? Tables, balls and cues in these environments never see maintenance or tip shaping. Yet the tips wear down and need replaced. What's causing that?

The only thing I can surmise is that perhaps some folks prefer hard tips and chalking doesn't really have much impact on those, so they never considered or experienced how medium/softer tips react to grainy chalks over time. That would be a reasonable explanation for the difference in perspectives, although it doesn't justify all the attitude and arrogance.

I never really thought about this stuff either, until I started using CF shafts. They are so stiff, that like many others I migrated to softer tips. The well known negative of softer tips is that they generally need more maintenance and thus wear out much quicker. Experimenting with different chalks over the last 2 years or so, I realized that once I got a good shape on a Kamui soft or an Ultraskin medium - playing a lot on home table with nicer quality chalks, at first I was scuffing them a bit every week or so to keep them in good shape. But then after starting to play much more out in poolhalls/bars, I noticed that using the more abrasive chalks seemed to keep them in good shape and I didn't have to do much to them at all, and they wear out much slower when I don't have to actively scuff them with tools. BUT, they still wear out.

Like many, I also much prefer the new style chalks which are much cleaner for the home table env and Taom v10 is definitely best in this regard. But, I found that Roku, Toams etc are such a delicate fine compound and require so little brushing/application, that the minor abrasion/factor effect doesn't really happen. Over time, I found by simply using Russian Magic at home (which is sort of middle of the road, much more abrasive/grainy than the fancy new stuff, but much cleaner than Masters etc), and using Masters or whatever other cheap stuff is on the tables at my halls/bars - my tip doesn't really need any work, after I've shaped it. I hate working on my tip, and just like most any experienced pool player, I'm used to regular consistent chalking during PSR, so for me the uber clean factor of Taom is great but in the balance, it's not that big of a deal and I just prefer to stick with basic stuff and simply wipe my table down about 1x per week, and vacuum it about 1x per mo.

It's no big deal, just a minor observation. Many folks seem to have switched to CF shafts and softer layered tips, so I thought this info might be worth contributing to the thread. If my experience doesn't match yours, that's all fine. Trying hard to keep this a respectful, interesting discussion. It's always "interesting" when folks are so ingrained into their own myopic views - when challenged/presented with alternate perspectives & data they just dig in, no matter what.

Can't believe I typed so much into a thread about freaking chalk. I'm way over my personal AZB screen time limit (used up my 10 yr budget on this f'ing thread), I'll take my silly views and bow out now.

Peace & love ✌️

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hang on here.... I have just very recently been called "arrogant dickhead", "condescending arrogant ass", "annoying", "snarky", "ignorance+hubris", "purposely obtuse".

No politics!! No laughing, grinning, showing your teeth. This is Taom's mister.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

See? No disagreements.

JoeEdmisten

FWIW, I miscue way less on power draw shots with the Taom V10 than I did with the Taom Pyro. Yes, that could be a coincidence, it could be my stroke and have nothing to do with the difference in chalk, but if it’s in my head that I miscue less with the V10, I can make that stroke with more confidence.

For most (but certainly not all) of us here that are passionate about our pool and the cleanliness of our cloth and our cue balls, the advantages (cleanliness and longevity) of the V10 justify the high $ price.
Wait a minute?!?!?! You guys are using chalk?? No wonder I can't advance in the tournament 😂

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Another entertained customer, like JV. His vitriol & pompous attitude vanished when presented with more detailed info from credible sources...
lol... hardly. The only credible source imo is Dr Dave, and no where in his video did he suggest that chalk will shape or maintain the shape of your tip. Merely that the abrasive quality of chalk may maintain a texture on the tip and prevent glazing. Of course he also displays several tools for apply texture to tips to after they become glazed...lol, so I'm sure if the theory holds much water.

I'm going to try this again.

...word

xX-Wizard-Xx

chalk does nothing more than coat a tip for increased friction ... chalk is not a significant factor in shaping a leather tip ....

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
If you are actually interested in an intelligent discussion on the subject vs just taking keyboard pot shots -
Unless you have forgotten. You're the one name calling and attacking character. I have done no such thing.
then take a few min to review the stuff I posted earlier and then come back and help us all with a rational explanation on how abrasive chalk can't do what I and others experience on softer/medium tips.

We're all adults here. No one is talking about using chalk to actually shape your tip.
Except when you very clearly suggested/said that chalk more abrasive then Taom (abrasion qualities an assumption on your part) will shape a tip more, so greater effort toward the maintaining of tip shape for Taom user will be required....lol

If you didn't mean that chalk will shape your tip, then you really need to think harder before you type, or choose your words far more carefully.
But after original shaping to ones prefered shape, proper use of abrasive older style chalks will indeed help to maintain that shape.
Here we go again.... Does excessive chalking flatten tips as well...?
This discussion is bordering on ridiculous;
Finally... almost common ground. However I think we jumped the shark a long time ago
Yet the tips wear down and need replaced. What's causing that?
Compression
The only thing I can surmise is that perhaps some folks prefer hard tips and chalking doesn't really have much impact on those, so they never considered or experienced how medium/softer tips react to grainy chalks over time. That would be a reasonable explanation for the difference in perspectives, although it doesn't justify all the attitude and arrogance.
There's a theory. I went from exclusively using hard tips for a very long time, to extremely soft after my equipment change. I have not noticed any difference in possible chalk tip shaping. Things to consider are that I chalk excessively but do not employ the drilling method. My tips still mushroom even though I chalk a great deal. If the chalk shaping theory held water I would never expect to have my tips reshaped by my cue guy, especially now that I'm using a very soft version.
I never really thought about this stuff either, until I started using CF shafts. They are so stiff, that like many others I migrated to softer tips. The well known negative of softer tips is that they generally need more maintenance and thus wear out much quicker. Experimenting with different chalks over the last 2 years or so, I realized that once I got a good shape on a Kamui soft or an Ultraskin medium - playing a lot on home table with nicer quality chalks, at first I was scuffing them a bit every week or so to keep them in good shape. But then after starting to play much more out in poolhalls/bars, I noticed that using the more abrasive chalks seemed to keep them in good shape and I didn't have to do much to them at all, and they wear out much slower when I don't have to actively scuff them with tools. BUT, they still wear out.
Interesting... I'm definitely not going to imply that you're making that up to suit your stance on the matter, but it does not parrallel my experiences.
Trying hard to keep this a respectful, interesting discussion. It's always "interesting" when folks are so ingrained into their own myopic views - when challenged/presented with alternate perspectives & data they just dig in, no matter what.
Well written Mr Pot.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Funny this is if you go to most places where Pool is being played, most people use what is provided by venue.
Very true... I moved away from that when I switched from snooker to pool. Snooker players tend to swipe. Pool players tend to drill. Trying to swipe with a drilled piece of chalk is annoying.

Now that I think about it. I never had any preference to a specific brand/formula of chalk. I bought my own gross so I would never have to hunt for something not horribly drilled. Ended up with the yellow triangle because that's what the pro snooker guys used...lol

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Very true... I moved away from that when I switched from snooker to pool. Snooker players tend to swipe. Pool players tend to drill. Trying to swipe with a drilled piece of chalk is annoying.

Now that I think about it. I never had any preference to a specific brand/formula of chalk. I bought my own gross so I would never have to hunt for something not horribly drilled. Ended up with the yellow triangle because that's what the pro snooker guys used...lol

We do not have to argue about what’s best, it’s personal choice.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When starting this thread, I had used Masters Chalk for over 50 years playing this sport. I had used other chalks from time to time, but only because it was what was available to me at the time, such as being in a room where there wasn't Masters being available. Masters was and might still be the best on the market. When seeing that Jason Shaw had used Toam chalk while breaking the high run in 14-1 I thought if he had used the stuff , there might be somewhat of an advantage too at least giving the Toam chalk a try and see of what quality the product really was.
Now with that stated, I didn't for a minute think I was ever going to play his speed using the product because I know it's the Indian and not the arrow. I didn't start this cross fire hurricane to start adversity between other forum members or did I mean to say that either chalk would make anyone a better player. I will try to reiterate that I liked the new chalk for a few reasons.
1, the chalk performed for me just as well when using it as when I was using the Masters.
2, the table in my home that I play on exclusively now stays cleaner and the balls roll straighter with no kicks and skids.along with no residue of chalk laying about the room , which keeps the table room itself cleaners
3, I can play for hours and hours and my hands stay clean to the point that one wouldn't know that I had ever been around a table. Even my clothes stay cleaner, I'm a sales rep and I must dress accordingly when calling on corporate accounts. Before using Toams when getting near my table with dress Khakis, I would inadvertently come away from the table some times with blue smudges , staining my clothes.
Now if to take it home on my thoughts , the new chalk plays great, but it is expensive but it saves me time at home too the point I don't mind the cost and I now buy in bulk. Probably have 5 years of the stuff now.
Is Toam going to help one perform better than Masters, or is Masters going to help one perform better than Toam ? Damn if I have a clue , I'm almost 70 now the Toams works just fine for how I'm playing now, and I would probably play just as well going back to my one time favorite
Masters chalk. Doubt that I would ever venture into any room any where that only Toam was used because of the price of the product, so Maters would be what I would hope they had picked as their choice. The greatest things I can say about Toam Calk ? It plays as well as Masters as far as I can gather. The table as well as the balls and including the room in which the table is set up stays increadably clean. The balls roll straighter because there's no embittered chalk laying about the cloth. These are the reasons that I have stated many times why I don't care what the price of the stuff is . It's worth it to me because of time cleaning equipment is so greatly reduced along with, one cube of the stuff last about the same as 6 blocks of Masters. If you have a table at home and would like to improve the conditions in which your playing while around your table, I suggest using Toam chalk. There is the only spot which I think there is a great advantage while using the product, it's just that damn clean when everything is set up too use this new chalk. 2 cents issued

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best for the money, Russian Magic Chalk by a way, as good as any other chalk an less than 4X cheaper, 20, 25, 30$ for chalk piece, not for me 🤪