Taom Chalk

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What color is your table cloth? How does Toam look on the tourney blue? The Sky Blue Masters matches so well you can't see it on the cltoh, but definitely on the bridge hand palm, even with a "clean" table.
We have Simonis 860HR tournament blue. The Taom V10 light green is awesome. Keep in mind I’m switching some very high quality chalks - Magic Chalk then Taom Pyro then Mezz Exceed chalk.

We have one regular who has a pronounced follow through with his tip digging in to the cloth on virtually every stroke. Even when he’s used the other premium chalks listed above, the table surface is a mess after he’s been practicing on it for a few hours.

Now that he’s using the Taom V10, the table still looks absolutely clean after’s he’s played on it - no chalk/tip follow through marks - amazing!

Last edited:

Greg M

Taom is great except it's round.
I had a leather chalk holder laying around similar to this,
it doesn't roll far, only about 3 or 4 foot, which'll put it under dead center of the table.
I've always kept chalk in my right back pocket as I'm playing. No real need for a chalk pouch with Taom because it doesn't make a mess of the insides of your pocket.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
the shape of it isnt any issue at all for me when playing
i dont need it at the table, i chalk up once before each game and thats all i need, i leave it back on the table with my stuff

I havent used the V10, but I use the Pyro and I wont use anything else. Table stays clean, cue ball not dotted with tons of chalk like from Masters (I cant stand when a ball is dirty and then skips on a shot). I wont ever switch back. I hear people talk about how much it costs, but it's very tiny compared to what we spend on things across the board and one piece lasts forever. Just dont leave it on a table in a pool room and forget it haha! I leave the small baggie in the top of my cue case so it reminds me to grab my chalk off the table.

- John Gorman

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
One suggestion if using super premium Chalk.

Chalk Guard.

1643754821118.jpeg

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I play with Master Green, cloth is Sky Blue. I do not over chalk, so I don’t see green on blue.
Over chalk or not still gets more on the cloth than taom ever will.

But I mean ALOT of people over chalk on many shots , there is no cure for that I'm afraid, you'll always end up with the blue hand at any pool room

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I havent used the V10, but I use the Pyro and I wont use anything else. Table stays clean, cue ball not dotted with tons of chalk like from Masters (I cant stand when a ball is dirty and then skips on a shot). I wont ever switch back. I hear people talk about how much it costs, but it's very tiny compared to what we spend on things across the board and one piece lasts forever. Just dont leave it on a table in a pool room and forget it haha! I leave the small baggie in the top of my cue case so it reminds me to grab my chalk off the table.

- John Gorman
Yeah, I get a kick out of pool players on here, which I assume like myself mostly are quite passionate about the sport, yet who are stuck on the price of a piece of Taom chalk as the main reason for not trying it.

Heck, you can hardly go out for lunch at a decent place without costing as much or more $ as a piece of this chalk, and we’re talking about chalk that will last you for 6+ months for someone that plays numerous times weekly.

Yeah, I get a kick out of pool players on here, which I assume like myself mostly are quite passionate about the sport, yet who are stuck on the price of a piece of Taom chalk as the main reason for not trying it.

Heck, you can hardly go out for lunch at a decent place without costing as much or more $ as a piece of this chalk, and we’re talking about chalk that will last you for 6+ months for someone that plays numerous times weekly.
I can honestly see this piece I am using now lasting me a year and I play daily. I dont mind paying $25 for a piece of chalk to last that long esp one that's not leaving the table and ball dirty AF.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can honestly see this piece I am using now lasting me a year and I play daily. I dont mind paying $25 for a piece of chalk to last that long esp one that's not leaving the table and ball dirty AF.
I don’t know about it lasting that long for myself. For someone who’s been playing pool for 50+ years and chalking my tip is the trigger for initiating my preshot routine, I simply can’t see only chalking my cue only a few times per game and/or only when I’m getting ready to load up with spin or draw. For myself, I chalk up every single shot, period.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have blue pyro and it's hard for me to imagine a chalk performing better. How does V10 perform better? And how does it stay completely off the cloth? You can imagine that for someone with light blue cloth, the thought of using green chalk is somewhat alarming.

And, finally, why don't they just make it in blue?

phreaticus

I don’t know about it lasting that long for myself. For someone who’s been playing pool for 50+ years and chalking my tip is the trigger for initiating my preshot routine, I simply can’t see only chalking my cue only a few times per game and/or only when I’m getting ready to load up with spin or draw. For myself, I chalk up every single shot, period.

Yeah, same for me. I tried the old Taom, it’s definitely good but I found the round shape annoying. I just play with whatever is on the table in bars & poolhalls, but I settled on Russian Magic for the home table as a reasonable compromise on cleanliness, traditional shape and cost. Given all the hoopla on the new Taom, I’ll give it a try again. I don’t really mind the cost, but it seems a shame and bit of a missed market opportunity to price it so high. The reason Masters is so ubiquitous is that its been around forever and is super low cost - obviously works just fine but it leaves so much grime on the tables, ultimately creating dirtier env for customers & lots more care & maintenance for room owners. But given how most folks drill their tips incessantly and how chalk seems to be considered a consumable in public places, I think few room owners are willing to invest in large quantities for daily customer use, despite the long term big picture advantages. If it were more reasonably priced, seems like its cleanliness virtues might catch on & it would get more traction.

Kudos to any room owner who recognizes the cleanliness benefits of higher grade chalk and is willing to spend the $$ on it.

Last edited:

MurrayNevada

I have blue pyro and it's hard for me to imagine a chalk performing better. How does V10 perform better? And how does it stay completely off the cloth? You can imagine that for someone with light blue cloth, the thought of using green chalk is somewhat alarming.

I believe it's green because their main market is Snooker and English Pool players. I don't know the science, but it stays off the TB cloth.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
it doesnt hold well on a white diamond break tip,
but it does hold well on a bakelite phenolic break tip
go figure

stays on my lepro like it was painted on almost, its worth the money
Did you make sure to thoroughly clean the old chalk off? I've been having no trouble with my white diamond break tip. It sticks very well for me.

Scrunge19

Registered
I’m a taom convert as well and I’ll never go back.

As for how to hold it, I bought a bunch of disc magnets online and just glue them to the bottom of the chalk. Works perfect with my chalk shark and I don’t have to worry about the chalk wearing down below the rubber chalk holder you normally use.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I had the same reservations and no one is more anal about keeping their cloth looking really good than I am but believe me, it is no issue regardless of what color you’re cloth is.

Scrunge19

Registered
it doesnt hold well on a white diamond break tip,
but it does hold well on a bakelite phenolic break tip
go figure

stays on my lepro like it was painted on almost, its worth the money
I had a similar issue with it not applying great to my break/jump cues. I just gave the tips a light brush with a scuffer and now they both hold it no problem. Might be worth trying.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kudos to any room owner who recognizes the cleanliness benefits of higher grade chalk and is willing to spend the $$ on it.
As a room owner, I honestly can’t see absolutely ever justifying spending approximately 100 X as much $ supplying Taom chalk free to our customers compared to master chalk.

As much as you would stress to your staff to make sure to confirm that two pieces are sent out with and returned with every tray of balls, I have a feeling you’d have numerous pieces of chalk walking out of your poolroom!

phreaticus

As a room owner, I honestly can’t see absolutely ever justifying spending approximately 100 X as much $ supplying Taom chalk free to our customers compared to master chalk.

As much as you would stress to your staff to make sure to confirm that two pieces are sent out with and returned with every tray of balls, I have a feeling you’d have numerous pieces of chalk walking out of your poolroom!
Yeah, I totally get that, seems unreasonable to expect any commercial operation to consider chalk as anything other than a low cost consumable. Seems like if the price point came down by quite a bit, might help that equation - basic large-volume-small-margin vs large-margin-small-volume economics - but I’m sure Taom knows their own biz! Seems like there could be a happy medium there somewhere… but realistically even Russian Magic is way cleaner than Masters and maybe only 2-3x the cost and we never see it in pool rooms, so its really just wishful thinking on my part…