Taom Chalk

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can this be true on a masse' or jump or other shot where the tip touches the table? My concern is that if this chalk DOES manage to get on the table, is it staining of the cloth? Does it come up with a vacuum? Brush? Water? All of the above? I would really like to hear the answer to this from someone who has gotten this chalk on their cloth where the color is highly different from the chalk. Thanks.
The chalk is not staining the table. There might be a puff of chalk coming off of the cue tip when striking the cue ball, but any good quality chalk will do that very thing. What ever marks that might be left on the table afterwards comes off with ease. When marks like mentioned above happen with the Masters they were more difficult to remove than when using the Taom chalk. I am using the Simionis cloth dohickey to clean my table now instead of anything else, before with the old chalk the thing didn't really do much in my opinion, now it's like a magic wand when cleaning the cloth, everything comes clean with the first pass while using it.,,my 2 cents issued

Last edited:

phreaticus

So I grabbed a v10 from Amazon and sure enough it pretty much does what everyone points out in this thread; works great, zero residue anywhere, and the color is a non issue. Getting used to the round shape & not having to chalk much is a bit of an interesting conundrum. Seems they have indeed come up with a good recipe.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As for how to hold it, I bought a bunch of disc magnets online and just glue them to the bottom of the chalk. Works perfect with my chalk shark and I don’t have to worry about the chalk wearing down below the rubber chalk holder you normally use.
I do similar. I glue a steel washer to the bottom of the chalk, and keep a couple strong neodymium magnets in my pocket. I might change this though, as the magnets are too strong and my clothes are prematurely wearing out where my chalk clips.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might be my imagination, but the V10 seems just slightly harder to clean up than Pyro (?). Would make sense if indeed it adhered to the tip better.

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered the V10. Green color on green cloth should be good, though the blue Pyro is a non-issue. I should be set on chalk purchases for several years at least.

Meanwhile I wonder why green chalk on blue cloth is a concern when for decades blue chalk/green cloth was the norm.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well okay I'll give V10 a shot, but since I no longer have a home table, it might be twice as good if my poolroom opponents were using it too.

phreaticus

I ordered the V10. Green color on green cloth should be good, though the blue Pyro is a non-issue. I should be set on chalk purchases for several years at least.

Meanwhile I wonder why green chalk on blue cloth is a concern when for decades blue chalk/green cloth was the norm.
Yeah, I always wondered about that also. And all the blue chalks I've had leave quite visible marks on tourney blue simonis, so the whole color thing seems pretty overblown to me. That said, surely we can all agree that red chalk is absolutely the worst, it's the only chalk I really can't stand, unfortunately one of my local bars with semi decent pool scene has red beater Valley's & red master chalk.

Back to v10... I just hit a few racks with it, there is definitely something different about the way it feels on the tip and CB, almost too smooth/clean, like it makes the tip feel harder/smoother, it grips & hits just fine - but just slightly less "texture" in the feel. Similar to the difference between a Kamui black soft vs medium tip. It seems awfully hard to stop the habit of stroking the tip consistently between shots and due to its quality, its easy to over chalk it, which then does lead to build up on tip and a tiny bit of residue. As one who simply sets the chalk down on rail in between shots, the round shape seems to slides off the rail easier and rolls when it hits the floor. Minor issues obviously, but overall, it's about the same as regular Taom for me on overall satisfaction, definitely cleaner - but I'm not personally swayed by the overall feel/shape/cleanliness value proposition vs Russian Magic for my daily play yet. It's definitely good though and I'd imagine new shooters or folks who use chalk holders would have no reason to not prefer it.

Last edited:

MurrayNevada

Might be my imagination, but the V10 seems just slightly harder to clean up than Pyro (?). Would make sense if indeed it adhered to the tip better.
Usually nothing to clean up for me as both are very clean. I do a weekly pass with the Simonis X-1 cleaning tool and the 860HR always looks new.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well a guest in our community Pool Room has a Round of Toam V-10 today.

I said to guy that is the Super Chalk I heard about. He smiled and asks if I would like to try.

Green Color is darker then my Master. I hit a few balls, re-chalking a couple of times after cleaning my tip. Very easy to see on tip if chalked.

Let’s say I am impressed by product, yes it is expensive, but I want to buy my own round to use.

If the stuff was nothing special I would say so. No skin in game.

Stuff appear special, is very clean’ work well, no Chslk on C/B👍👍👍👍.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well okay I'll give V10 a shot, but since I no longer have a home table, it might be twice as good if my poolroom opponents were using it too.
I gave a piece of Taom V10 to a buddy of mine to try out. He’s a very good player who also owns / manages a poolroom not far away. He is very picky about his chalk and has tried them all. He’s returning it to me, and his feedback was that it puts too much spin on the cue ball. I kind of thought that was strange and wondered what others who’ve used it on here thought of that response, as I’d not heard that criticism from anyone? - Thanks

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gave a piece of Taom V10 to a buddy of mine to try out. He’s a very good player who also owns / manages a poolroom not far away. He is very picky about his chalk and has tried them all. He’s returning it to me, and his feedback was that it puts too much spin on the cue ball. I kind of thought that was strange and wondered what others who’ve used it on here thought of that response, as I’d not heard that criticism from anyone? - Thanks
I have been using Taom for the past few weeks and I do get more spin, but I like that. I have tried every chalk out there and this, to me, is the best yet. I have more chalk than i know what to do with now. Lol.

Rachel T

After months of using the Pyro, I've yet to have one of those dreaded "cling/kick" shots due to excess chalk on the cue ball. To those who have used both the Pyro and V10, what is the difference as far as performance is concerned? I apologize if that's already been answered. I may have missed it when I read through all the comments. Thanks!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I have been using Taom for the past few weeks and I do get more spin, but I like that. I have tried every chalk out there and this, to me, is the best yet. I have more chalk than i know what to do with now. Lol.

Well when I tested for about 15 hits, I after more Spin, and COULD NOT BELIEVE HOW MUCH EASIER DRAW WAS.

Think the Tip of Cue stays on ball better.

1644434702149.png

phreaticus

After months of using the Pyro, I've yet to have one of those dreaded "cling/kick" shots due to excess chalk on the cue ball. To those who have used both the Pyro and V10, what is the difference as far as performance is concerned? I apologize if that's already been answered. I may have missed it when I read through all the comments. Thanks!
Its a good question. From my brief experiments (hitting racks for a few hours), it seems largely the same in feel/play, but leaves even less residue. Its pretty great as far as cleanliness goes - but I feel more comfy with slightly grittier traditional cube shaped chalks just because that whats I’m used to and I think the overall longevity/cleanliness benefits come at the “cost” of fairly radically changing ones chalking habits, which I’m not really into at the moment. IMO, it just comes down to personal preference, like CF shafts there is no magic pill, and I don’t find its actual performance to be better/worse, but it does have a slightly different feel, which again takes some adjustment. For some that will be better, some worse. There is no doubt that its the cleanest for sure, most notably the CB accumulates zero marks with either of the Taoms, as far as I can tell. As an example, the practical difference for me vs my preferred Russian Magic on home table - is that I wipe the CB on my shirt or spin it on the rail a few times every few racks, where thats just not needed with the Taoms.

Hope this is useful.

Last edited:

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading the reviews from this thread and getting to the bottom of my gross of Masters, I decided to give it a try. Cleaned the cloth and balls, had the usual suspects over for our Monday night game. took the Masters off everyone's cue and asked them to use the V10. We played for about 6 hours. Several observations; no one complained (noteworthy), cue ball, hands and cloth stayed clean. Really did like the hit and feel, I like it.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, the difference is clearly way less miscues with the V10 than with the Pyro.