TAP players are badass

Shermanscs

Steve sherman
Silver Member
I am relatively new to the TAP league and we have one league operating in my area of CT. The league is very new, and at this time, we only have about 5 teams. Playing in the league, I was able to complete in my first ever national TAP event at SBE (I play as a TAP 4). After having played in the event, I have to give a shout out to the TAP players - you guys (and gals) are some strong, smart players. The caliber of the TAP players is really high. These are not your APA 4's, quite far from it. I play as an APA 6 in 8 ball, so I was wondering why I was a TAP 4 in that league. Well I found out this weekend. I made it to the semi-finals & was happy with that showing. Very strong competition. If these are 4's, I gotta watch you 7's play!

You guys are baddass.
- Steve

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
APA 8-ball league was originally marketed towards beginners, and intermediate level players. Therefore, the handicap scale is geared towards beginners, and intermediate level players. APA 9-ball, and APA Masters league handicaps higher level skilled players, but not offered in all APA league territories.

It appears TAP's market and handicap scale is geared towards higher skilled players.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Besides attracting better players, there is more information collected on the TAP score sheet vs the APA score sheet which I think can also cause differences in these ratings.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I'm not familiar with the TAP scoring. What type of information is being collected, that you think APA overlooks or omit?

Besides attracting better players, there is more information collected on the TAP score sheet vs the APA score sheet which I think can also cause differences in these ratings.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
APA only records games won lost, with innings and safes (if the scorekeeper recognizes one, or if the shooter announces it) Along with Early 8's.

TAP includes ball made, missed, balls left on table, Balls made on the break, balls left on table.

See links:
TAP Score Sheet
http://www.tapleague.com/files/pdfs/scoresheet.pdf

APA Score Sheet
http://www.poolplayers.com/documents/8ball-scoresheet.pdf

I'm not familiar with the TAP scoring. What type of information is being collected, that you think APA overlooks or omit?

Chops02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that's basically all collected in APA 9 ball. seems they blended the two a little. i've also played in an ACS league where you got points in 8 ball for each of your balls you made. interesting format.
as an APA 7 in 8 ball, the handicap system for 8 ball drives me nuts, but i do enjoy the challenge of always spotting everyone 3-4 games. it's just stressful. haha

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Since APA 9 ball is points driven (point for every ball except for the 9 which is 2) and handicap differential is done by points it has to be.

8 ball scoring between APA and TAP is a whole other matter. Some of which I think accounts for the differences of skill level between the two.

that's basically all collected in APA 9 ball. seems they blended the two a little. i've also played in an ACS league where you got points in 8 ball for each of your balls you made. interesting format.
as an APA 7 in 8 ball, the handicap system for 8 ball drives me nuts, but i do enjoy the challenge of always spotting everyone 3-4 games. it's just stressful. haha

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
TAP is the only league I'll play...

I am relatively new to the TAP league and we have one league operating in my area of CT. The league is very new, and at this time, we only have about 5 teams. Playing in the league, I was able to complete in my first ever national TAP event at SBE (I play as a TAP 4). After having played in the event, I have to give a shout out to the TAP players - you guys (and gals) are some strong, smart players. The caliber of the TAP players is really high. These are not your APA 4's, quite far from it. I play as an APA 6 in 8 ball, so I was wondering why I was a TAP 4 in that league. Well I found out this weekend. I made it to the semi-finals & was happy with that showing. Very strong competition. If these are 4's, I gotta watch you 7's play!

You guys are baddass.
- Steve

I started playing TAP last year and then ended up getting sponsored by SoCal TAP for the mezz tour.

I've seen the way certain other leagues are run and have watched their formats etc... I like TAP best. I think it's more geared towards players that are serious and that ends up bringing better players and that's what you're noticing.

Now I may just have a really good league operator in my area but at the same time, I don't see many people complaining about tap they way they do some other leagues either...

Jaden

Sam at TAP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the feedback

I been reading some of your posts and I will let the TAP office know of this thread. I think they will appreciate what you have to say. We at TAP strive to keep true to what our late founder, Loyd Schonter, always said...."Always for the player." Personally, I have been associated with TAP since 1997. I am the 2nd oldest licensee with TAP and have been the sales director for TAP since 2001. I have personally witnessed the growth of TAP over the past 18 years. We have always tried to give back or do things different for the player that other leagues do not such as round robin formats at our major events, moving our nationals to locations such as New Orleans, Dallas, Charleston, SC, Myrtle Beach, Orlando, Louisville, Chicago, Vegas and this year in Nashville. We are also the only league with a national competition at the SBE. We had a full field of 176 dream teams this year and we turned away over 30 more teams due to table constraints. Back in 1997 at our first Rally at the SBE, there was a field of just 22 teams!! Not to mention we are the only league with a score keeping application for ipad, phones and droid devices. We never promoted our league with pros and trick shot artists by using the players weekly fees monies but instead we put this money back into hi tech devices such as the app and always upgrading Poolnet with bells and whistles. After all, players are not stupid. How many of those paid pros actually played in the league they promote? TAP has quite a few players that went into the pro ranks. On the handicap question, I as a licensee have noticed as a general rule of thumb in the 4 to 7 range that TAP members are one skill level lower then a APA cap due to the 25 pt team limit rule and the call pocket rule. Regardless of what league you play in, the main thing is to have a good time, and improve. If TAP is not in your area, please call me at 800-984-7665 ext 2 and let me see what I can do for you and your friends.

Here are some of those bells and whistles I mentioned.

The Who's the Best? module that shows this data on a national and local level. Below is a example.

Best Win Percentage - 8 ball on 7 foot for 5 HC...min 10 matches from 4/21/14 to 4/21/15

Name Member ID Territory State Win % Total Matches

CASTILLO, MIGUEL 232278 Southern TAP #289 NC 0.95 22
, GEORGES/WUEBKER 230350 North Texas TAP - Dallas #224 TX 0.93 14
COVERT, ZACK 217832 Route 19 TAP #263 PA 0.9 10
PETERSON, SCOTT 235662 Route 19 TAP #263 PA 0.9 10
GREAVES, BOB 235687 Motor City Tap #252 MI 0.9 10
ENGLAND, DAVE 228906 Northwest TAP #72 WA 0.87 23
HILZENDEGER, VALENTINE (VAL) 209109 Inland Tap #128 0.85 13
WATSON, JAMES 214612 North Texas TAP - Denton County #226 TX 0.85 20
ESTERMAN, BRUCE 215130 Three Rivers TAP #228 PA 0.83 29
CLARK, RON 235037 Ontario South TAP #190 0.83 12
ACEVEDO, RICKY 234345 Southern TAP #289 NC 0.83 18
TAYLOR, TOM 52298 Hudson Valley TAP #156 NY 0.82 11
GARBER, WILLIS 226879 L&N Tap #48 PA 0.82 22
GARY, CHRIS 226413 New England TAP League #330 NH 0.82 11
ECK, BRIAN 197461 Keystone 3 TAP #90 PA 0.81 42
AXTELL, RONALD 230100 Nebraska TAP #215 NE 0.81 21
BROWN, DALLAS 230140 John Brown TAP Pool League LLC #222 KS 0.8 10
CRAWFORD, FRED 228736 Route 19 TAP #263 PA 0.8 25
HOLECZ, PAUL 223032 L&N Tap #48 PA 0.8 10
KNIGHT, ROGER 199873 Route 19 TAP #263 PA 0.8 10

as well as players personal stats that show their lifetime record and how they perform against each handicap level they played. Below is a example of this.

Total Statistics
Total Matches: 102
Matches W-L: 59-43 Games W-L: 261-229
Ball Count Ratio: 2.59
Success Rates: Shot: 71% Ball: 83%
LOT/Game: Self: 0.02 Opponent: 0.03
Match Closeness: 7% Player Aggressiveness: 178%
Eight on Break: 5 Break and Run: 7

Detailed Performance Against Handicap 2
Total Matches: 1
Matches W-L: 0-1 Games W-L: 4-2
Ball Count Ratio: 1.65
Success Rates: Shot: 63% Ball: 89%
LOT/Game: Self: 1.00 Opponent: 3.50
Match Closeness: -20% Player Aggressiveness: 79%
Eight on Break: 0 Break and Run: 0

Detailed Performance Against Handicap 3
Total Matches: 8
Matches W-L: 4-4 Games W-L: 18-10
Ball Count Ratio: 2.57
Success Rates: Shot: 69% Ball: 91%
LOT/Game: Self: 0.12 Opponent: 0.47
Match Closeness: 7% Player Aggressiveness: 78%

Detailed Performance Against Handicap 4
Total Matches: 51
Matches W-L: 32-19 Games W-L: 136-93
Ball Count Ratio: 2.47
Success Rates: Shot: 71% Ball: 86%
LOT/Game: Self: 0.03 Opponent: 0.06
Match Closeness: 14% Player Aggressiveness: 80%
Eight on Break: 0 Break and Run: 5

Detailed Performance Against Handicap 5
Total Matches: 33
Matches W-L: 18-15 Games W-L: 80-94
Ball Count Ratio: 2.71
Success Rates: Shot: 71% Ball: 79%
LOT/Game: Self: 0.09 Opponent: 0.07
Match Closeness: -2% Player Aggressiveness: 383%
Eight on Break: 5 Break and Run: 2

Detailed Performance Against Handicap 6
Total Matches: 8
Matches W-L: 4-4 Games W-L: 20-26
Ball Count Ratio: 2.39
Success Rates: Shot: 70% Ball: 73%
LOT/Game: Self: 0.54 Opponent: 0.23
Match Closeness: 4% Player Aggressiveness: 85%

Detailed Performance Against Handicap 7
Total Matches: 1
Matches W-L: 1-0 Games W-L: 3-4
Ball Count Ratio: 7.25
Success Rates: Shot: 88% Ball: 62%
LOT/Game: Self: 6.00 Opponent: 2.00
Match Closeness: 20% Player Aggressiveness: 81%

TAP ON!!

Last edited:

tashworth19191

Pool will make you humble
Silver Member
I like TAP and NAPA leagues. Not happy of APA and BCA leagues. But to each his own.

I think TAP and NAPA leagues reward you for getting better. I play in a laggers choice league, 8-ball and 9-ball leagues for NAPA and I love it. The scoring is all online, no more having to fill out score sheets in a dark bar with an ink pen. The offer a good national tournament also. This year it is in Michigan.

SoCal TAP

Registered
TAP is badass

There is no league today, that gives more back to the player than TAP does. It has the highest payouts in the industry, the richest tournaments, the most innovative scoring and handicapping system available, which was introduced by TAP as an industry first. TAP National events are in house, we don't contract outside refs or anything else like our competition does which degrades the prize funds. Also, right now we are growing faster than any pool league in the country because players are recognizing this isn't lip service. Its real, and and its happening now....League pool is now finally changing for the better, new and old players are jumping on board in record numbers with owners and licensees forging ahead for league players.

Attachments

• expo1.jpg
    expo1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 385
  • expo 2.jpg
    expo 2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 394