• Slight affect

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • No affect.

Votes: 37 74.0%

• Total voters

CTYankee

Mark Twain's Table
Silver Member
A friend of mine noticed a taper roll in my cue last night when he was messing around with it. It does not seem to affect my play at all, but he tried to argue that there is negative impact. Tip and joint still stay flush to table when rolled... so what are your thoughts on the subject?

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
My thoughts

He is trying to get in your head! :)

Hu

CTYankee said:
A friend of mine noticed a taper roll in my cue last night when he was messing around with it. It does not seem to affect my play at all, but he tried to argue that there is negative impact. Tip and joint still stay flush to table when rolled... so what are your thoughts on the subject?

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO it DAMN hard to get wood to do ANYTHING perfectly. If you roll a cue and the joint, TIP, and butt cap are in contact with the table.....how can it hurt?...My best cue has a slight roll in the handle section (maybe 1/64")...makes "0" difference.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
CTYankee said:

First of all there is NO SUCH THING AS A TAPER ROLL!~

Either the shaft is perfectly straight or it is not, either the butt is perfectly straight or it is not. There are many things that can make a shaft or a butt have a role to them.

Shaft:

1. not being round,or having having flat spot due to improper sanding!!!
2. Ferrule / joint collar over sized or flat spots due to improper turning or sanding.
3. Shaft insert hole not bored and threaded straight!! ( Only applies when butt and shaft are attached)
4. Finish thicker on one side or the other due to improper application or finishing!!
5. Warped due to improper curing of the wood, improper turning, improper sanding, or improper handling by customer IE, left standing together against a wall, left in a non-temperature controlled environment, continually over flexed during breaking, or other mishandling!!!!!

Cues Butt:

1. not being round,or having having flat spot due to improper sanding!
2. Butt improperly Tapered / finished
3. Cues wrap channel not properly cut, or the wrap over hangs the forearm or the butt due to improper channel or application!!!!
4. Pin is not straight, due to improper installation. ( only when the shaft and the butt are attached)
5. Warped due to improper curing of the wood, improper turning, improper sanding, or improper handling by customer IE, left standing together against a wall, left in a non-temperature controlled environment, or other mishandling!!!!!

Facing at the joint and Butt collars!!

Taper Roll = Defect from Manufacturing or Mishandling = Warpage

Representation: If the cue or the shaft have a roll from the cue maker it is not first quality it is a second!!!

Resale of any cue with these problems will be less due to defects!!!! So do not be fooled by the Taper Roll myth when buying one!!!!!!!!!

No disrespect intended!!!!;)

Last edited:

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
I voted slight affect because he made you doubt yourself enough to post this :p The only time I worry about warpage is when it's bad enough I notice it on every shot. Then it's probably still a mental thing.

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I build a cue, I don't want it to show any, because I know people look for It, and a new cue shouldn't have any, but as a player on My personal cue, I really don't look for it unless It's real obvious. I'll roll my personal cue out on a table and look from the top every once in a while, and that will show anything really bad, but I don't get down and look from the bottom. I am of the school of thought that a couple of others mentioned here, and it's just one other thing to get inside your head, and screw with your game. Half of this game is mind control, and anything that messes with that is worse then the actual physical effects from not knowing IMO.