TAR Podcast #8 - Shane - Fransisco - Shane Talks About His Aiming Method

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Lenny started the thread with the statement that he hoped that Shane conclusively stating he uses an aiming system would quiet the naysayers.

Saying that is like throwing gasoline on the fire because then of course someone on the other side MUST respond and say something to diminish or discredit Shane's revelation.

It's almost hardwired in our DNA that in a long running debate no one concedes any point without SOME kind of protest.

I think that if Lenny had not made that statement then maybe we could have had a discussion on ONLY what Shane said and tried to figure it out.

The upside is that it led to a video being posted where Shane is giving a lesson of sorts and in that video (and in the TARCAST) there are a LOT of good solid tips if one pays attention. Things that go far beyond aiming if one is REALLY interested in becoming a credible player.

I started the thread because I had been thinking all along the method I had learned not too long was the same as Shanes. I had mentioned previously in other threads in the past about Shane and the stick aiming and my the aiming method I used. I was happy to see it verified via TAR and having Justin ask the question and Shane demonstrating it. People jumped in saying he was using CTE which is not true and also that I started the thread to throw it in the naysayers face which is not true. I just think the naysayer naturals need to give it a rest and realize it does work even if it does not work for them and the system users out there need to stop beating their chest trying to convert the natural feel players, but both parties in this thread did just that and the endless battle continues, lmfao!

To each their own so to say and its just funny to watch all the aiming system guys and naturals just going at it like this is a political debate. To be honest I could care less if someone says its BS because that BS is working for me and many others out there and if the ghost ball, feel or whatever is working for others then great. I would rather be playing pool then be typing this right now so you guys can have the thread back and battle it out, there is no right or wrong here, just different perspectives just like which cue hits better, its just opinion and personal preference. Carry on my friends. :thumbup:

P.S. I apologize for you guys who have no self control on the forums.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I started the thread because I had been thinking all along the method I had learned not too long was the same as Shanes. I had mentioned previously in other threads in the past about Shane and the stick aiming and my the aiming method I used. I was happy to see it verified via TAR and having Justin ask the question and Shane demonstrating it. People jumped in saying he was using CTE which is not true and also that I started the thread to throw it in the naysayers face which is not true. I just think the naysayer naturals need to give it a rest and realize it does work even if it does not work for them and the system users out there need to stop beating their chest trying to convert the natural feel players, but both parties in this thread did just that and the endless battle continues, lmfao!

To each their own so to say and its just funny to watch all the aiming system guys and naturals just going at it like this is a political debate. To be honest I could care less if someone says its BS because that BS is working for me and many others out there and if the ghost ball, feel or whatever is working for others then great. I would rather be playing pool then be typing this right now so you guys can have the thread back and battle it out, there is no right or wrong here, just different perspectives just like which cue hits better, its just opinion and personal preference. Carry on my friends. :thumbup:

P.S. I apologize for you guys who have no self control on the forums.

:) Yeah but you know that when you make a statement saying that you hope this will quiet the naysayers then it will have the opposite effect.

demonrho

Registered Amuser
Silver Member
I started the thread because I had been thinking all along the method I had learned not too long was the same as Shanes. I had mentioned previously in other threads in the past about Shane and the stick aiming and my the aiming method I used. I was happy to see it verified via TAR and having Justin ask the question and Shane demonstrating it...

Thanks, Lenny, for getting Shane to explain his stick reference system. Quite illuminating for some of us.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. Can you easily re-do your Autocad using a 12mm shaft (.472")? Then we'd have a notion of the sensitivity. Or maybe a 14mm and a 12mm.

Hi,
I revisited my Acad and found that I used a 11.2mm (.44") ferrule/tip for the cut angles in my diagram 8, 23 and 37 degrees respectively (left to right).

The angular round off is in 1 degree increments and a 13.0mm (.51") crresponds to 9, 22 and 38 degree cut angles - so a 12mm ferrule is in between or 1/2 a degree.

I doubt that many shoot with a 11.2mm ferrule or that 1/2 a degree increase for a 12.0mm vs 13.0mm is/would not/be discernable for most.

I hope this helps :thumbup:

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi,
I revisited my Acad and found that I used a 11.2mm (.44") ferrule/tip for the cut angles in my diagram 8, 23 and 27 degrees respectively (left to right).

The angular round off is in 1 degree increments and a 13.0mm (.51") crresponds to 9, 22 and 38 degree cut angles - so a 12mm ferrule is in between or 1/2 a degree.

I doubt that many shoot with a 11.2mm ferrule or that 1/2 a degree increase for a 12.0mm vs 13.0mm is/would not/be discernable for most.

Thanks, LAMas. It sounds like the cut angles with Shane's method are not highly sensitive to changes in the shaft diameter within the fairly small range of diameters of most shafts. It makes a difference, but only a small difference. A player skilled with that technique would surely be able to adapt from shaft to shaft quite easily.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,
I revisited my Acad and found that I used a 11.2mm (.44") ferrule/tip for the cut angles in my diagram 8, 23 and 27 degrees respectively (left to right).

This is a little different than the Mullen method, 3andstop posted. That system uses the contact point instead of the edge of the object ball to line up the corresponding side of the ferrule/stick. Shane's system uses both sides of the stick on cuts left and right.

For instance, the Mullen method for a cut to the left, uses the left side of the stick to aim. Shane's method uses both sides of the stick for a left cut. In addition, he uses the center of the ferrule/stick for straighter shots, not the edge of the cue stick. He picks out a point near the base of the object ball.

I would guess the range he uses for picking out a spot on the base of the ball is probably 20* or less. Any more than that starts to essentially leave the surface of the table and become the edge of the object ball. Just sayin'. :)

Best,
Mike

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
This is a little different than the Mullen method, 3andstop posted. That system uses the contact point instead of the edge of the object ball to line up the corresponding side of the ferrule/stick. Shane's system uses both sides of the stick on cuts left and right.

For instance, the Mullen method for a cut to the left, uses the left side of the stick to aim. Shane's method uses both sides of the stick for a left cut. In addition, he uses the center of the ferrule/stick for straighter shots, not the edge of the cue stick. He picks out a point near the base of the object ball.

I would guess the range he uses for picking out a spot on the base of the ball is probably 20* or less. Any more than that starts to essentially leave the surface of the table and become the edge of the object ball. Just sayin'. :)

I messed around banking some with stick aiming,have u tried this any

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
peteypooldude;3419632 I messed around banking some with stick aiming said:
I've used it a lot, but I never liked it too much for banking. It is the nutz for long, thin cuts on the big tables.

I bank without diamonds, like Ekkes' SEE System. I'd be interested to hear about anything you've figured out, though. :wink: I just never had much luck with it for banking.

Best,
Mike

Last edited: