Tascarella Cues, What Tips Does Pete Install?

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
I just took delivery of a new Tascarella cue. I screwed in the compression-fit shaft, hit a ball and WOW! It plays perfect! Hits fantastic, great feel, sound, feedback.

Does someone know what kind of tips he installs? They are brown, single layer with a red fiber pad.

Thanks a lot!

--dj

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tip

Just changed your view of those nasty, cheap old worthless Lepro tips. LOL. I do believe he either presses them or hand selects them. Maybe he shakes chicken bones over them and chants some Italian voodoo over them. And possibly a liberal amount of olive oil. Extra virgin of course!!!

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Actually I think the reason he does this is it most resembles the very old French Champion tips of the 60s and 70s. Believe Barry S does the same thing, mostly for the appearance of tradition.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
Just changed your view of those nasty, cheap old worthless Lepro tips. LOL. I do believe he either presses them or hand selects them. Maybe he shakes chicken bones over them and chants some Italian voodoo over them. And possibly a liberal amount of olive oil. Extra virgin of course!!!

I never had a negative view of them. I was just amazed at how good the cue hit with the stock tip. I had always installed Kamui Black Hard tips on my other Tascarella Hoppe.

The compression fit on the shaft I am using hugs tight for a almost whole turn, hit is amazing. Pete also keeps the tip very full, which I prefer-

Thanks guys-

dawgcpa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tips

I was blown away as well. I've been playing with mine a month or so now it both shafts just play great. I always heard they were good tips but very inconsistent. Well, he is doing something to get the good ones....

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
I will take a good LePro or Triangle over ANY layered tip.

Pool players are getting worse than golfers. Spend $500 on a driver but won't spend $50 on a lesson.

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yep, I'm over the layered tip fad as well. anyone know how a ki-tech holds up to the other single-layer tips? especially on a Tasc?

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lepro's are where it's at. I can't say I was blown away by the one and only Tasc I've played with. I know that statement is asking for a crucifixion on here, but it's true for me at least. Not knocking the craftsmanship either, just didn't blow me away in terms of the "hit" I've heard so much about. Maybe I need to spend more time with one... anyone want to lend me their Tasc?? ;)

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
yep, I'm over the layered tip fad as well. anyone know how a ki-tech holds up to the other single-layer tips? especially on a Tasc?

I am having a Ki-Tech hard installed tomorrow on my older Tasc shaft and will let you know. The shafts from my other Tasc cue fit perfectly on the new one and vice versa.
Heard good things about them, single layer as well.

-dj

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
Lepro's are where it's at. I can't say I was blown away by the one and only Tasc I've played with. I know that statement is asking for a crucifixion on here, but it's true for me at least. Not knocking the craftsmanship either, just didn't blow me away in terms of the "hit" I've heard so much about. Maybe I need to spend more time with one... anyone want to lend me their Tasc?? ;)

I think there is a definite difference between the cues with the Delrin buttcap and a bumper and the bumperless hoppe cues. I have a buddy who has the former and it hit good but did not feel or sound like my two bumperless cues. I do believe the bumper absorbs some of the vibration and the sound.

-dj

saint1

saint1
Silver Member
I have one that has bumper and is one on the best playing/hitting cues I ever had. Don't think the bumper VS bumper less would matter either way.

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am having a Ki-Tech hard installed tomorrow on my older Tasc shaft and will let you know. The shafts from my other Tasc cue fit perfectly on the new one and vice versa.
Heard good things about them, single layer as well.

-dj

How you liking that Ki-tech?

george canon

Registered
I am amazed you would buy an expensive cue, and not know what tip it has, or are not in on the choice of tip. You also need to be telling them, what weight you want.

Lepro used to be a soft tip, but Tweeten recently is making them harder than they used to be, it is a med tip single layer, out of date by a decade, its a tip most got off of, because they were failing a lot, installers report they could have 10-15 go bad, out of a box of 50. Today, it is rated med, with a durometer of 78, most pros are using a Moori M multilayered tip with a 74, many use the H with a 83. You might find, the Morri H, out plays and performs the Lepro, and it will not mushroom, and the lepro will. If you want a single layer tip, the Triangle with a 81, is a better tip and a better choice. Both are inexpensive in cost.

You will also find, if you don't let the installer put the tip on full, or fat, but cut it down about 30%, and don't dome it to a nickle, but to a dime, your spin and power will be better.

Red and black pads, are sold separately, and are dirt cheap. They were, and are only used today, to soften the hit, of an Ivory ferrule, which you never want to play with, they are seriously out of date, rock hard, and deflect badly. Chandiviert out of Paris, used to make a champion tip that was soft, that came with a red backing. They have been out of business now for years.

Sounds like to me, Pete is stuck in the past, and is not keeping up to date. But, he is making a cue, from the past, and from the 50's. :eek: